Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been contacted by MG that my EV requires a safety software update to reduce the possibility of blowing the fuse from the battery. I haven't had the comfort update yet but this safety update is free and takes about 1 hour to download which sounds similar to the comfort update but can cost £120. Has anyone else received a safety recall, thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Tom, I knew about the HVB fuse update so I mentioned it when I picked up my eZS last Friday. At first the dealers were clueless but after searching for the update there it was and it only took 20 minutes to apply while i waited. I can now slow/rapid charge without locking the door, which is nice.

They are calling it a service action with no requirement to call in vehicles specifically, but will be done if your car is in workshop for any reason.

This updates the DCDC and TC modules using SIPS to revise software calibration of the battery protection strategy.

A reminder that all cars from June 2020 should have comfort2 applied free and that dealers should have install time down to 90 minutes now. £120 is steep for clicking start on free software, two billable service hours definitely.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Mine was done along with the comfort2 update by Cambridge MG, who charged me £50 but give a £50 voucher off the next service

·
Registered
2 Posts
I also received notification about this "safety recall". At the moment it's booked in for the software update on 24th September 2020.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I charged my EV for the first time two days ago and would only charge if I had locked vehicle. Does this mean I don't have the update? I was using a 7kw charger.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,262 Posts
I charged my EV for the first time two days ago and would only charge if I had locked vehicle. Does this mean I don't have the update? I was using a 7kw charger.
There's more than one update. There's the comfort update and another one (haven't paid much attention to the another on as I've had the comfort update done) that's makes some other improvements.

After the comfort update you still need to lock the doors to charge. It seems, from what I've been reading so far, that the another one let's you AC charge with the doors unlocked. Although I may be wrong. As I said, I haven't been paying much attention as I'll wait now until my service, unless my dealer calls, to get any done.

Reactions: SueH

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have definitely got the comfort update because I see the outside temperature on the infotainment system and no bongs etc.

But not sure if I have this safety recall update. Guess I'll have to ask my dealership tmrw.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I also received notification about this "safety recall". At the moment it's booked in for the software update on 24th September 2020.
I re-scheduled my safety recall update to today (21st Sept) and also had the Comfort 2 update. No dramas. All successfully completed and no more bongs. :)

·
Registered
360 Posts
I have definitely got the comfort update because I see the outside temperature on the infotainment system and no bongs etc.

But not sure if I have this safety recall update. Guess I'll have to ask my dealership tmrw.
I'm in the same situation, definitely need to lock the doors to charge.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I picked up my new zsev from Horsham last Tue, had 2 mini top-ups since using only the 3 pin granny charger. I can confirm car charges fine locked or unlocked, Powered on or off.

Sent from my CPH1907 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,262 Posts
I can confirm car charges fine locked or unlocked, Powered on or off.
Is that an AC or DC charge you're doing there?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
HVB fuse update, I was informed that the download was 1/1.5 hours so dropped the car off at 10.30am and expecting to pick it up 12ish. I was told to come back at 5pm. There are some really nice parts of Manchester, unfortunately Hyde isn't one of them. So cancelled and went home (16 miles). I have agreed to take it to another MG garage next Monday and they have agreed that I pick the car up after 1.5 hours. Will let you know how I get on

·
Registered
8 Posts
They informed you wrongly, I know from first hand experience that the update can be downloaded and applied in twenty minutes. Mine was done mid-handover and I had to ask the dealer to look for new updates.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Christ, that's even worse and thanks for the update. Why would you need the car for 6.5 hours:rolleyes:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi Guys, took the car to Pinkstones, Stoke On Trent. They did all the safety updates as well as the comfort pack 2 in less than 2 hours and free of charge!! A shout out for Rob and Jack, who also replaced my halogens with some Osram Cool Blue intense. Thoroughly recommend them. It fires up really quick and nice to see the outside temp:)

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,262 Posts
Hi Guys, took the car to Pinkstones, Stoke On Trent. They did all the safety updates as well as the comfort pack 2 in less than 2 hours and free of charge!! A shout out for Rob and Jack, who also replaced my halogens with some Osram Cool Blue intense. Thoroughly recommend them. It fires up really quick and nice to see the outside temp:)
Another shout here for them. Both I and my brother have cars with them (sadly bro has an ICE, but can be forgiven as he tows a caravan)

·
Registered
69 Posts
I had a call from Mark at Crayford & Abbs, my dealer in North Norfolk earlier in the month to arrange a time for the battery fuse update. He said they would do it while I waited. I asked about the comfort update, he said they were happy to do that too FOC but to allow a couple of hours for it and would I like to borrow a car while they did it. I said yes please and it was booked in for yesterday. Dropped the car off just after 9am and was loaned a blue exclusive, the twin of mine except it already had the update and only 300 miles on the clock. I was told to come back at lunch tme so we had a nice walk around Holt Country Park and some lunch.Went to collect mine at 1pm, it was ready outside, no problems. My only cost was 2 quid to park at the country park and £14.40 for some touch up paint. I've got a couple of stone chips on the plastic at the front end.
I've always liked the car but it's so much better now, faster quieter starting, no longer need to cancel the speed warning and I was able to let the OH out to post a parcel without first putting the keys in a Faraday pouch to avoid the bongs.
I'm well pleased, both with the car and the service at Crayford & Abbs.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts