Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My employer has a good offer on the new i3 but this would be the first time I’ve used one of these schemes.

Understand BIK rules are changing and would be 0% from April this year?

Is there anything else I should be aware of? The offer seems too good to be true!

·
Registered
131 Posts
For ev's from April the SS deals will be good. I have some great deals from Zenith. Everything except fuel included. BIK is something that for us PAYE employees enable us to get similar deals to our self employed friends. Don't forget though we are only renting and will have nothing to show after 3 years. But it will be a smug 3 years. The BIK will increase from 0% to 2% during that time so it should be slightly cheaper at the start from what you get quoted - even better.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. My employers scheme is Zenith as it happens, the offer is almost too good to refuse

·
Registered
3 Posts
What sort of monthly price are people getting for the Leaf, i3 or egolf etc on salary sacrifice schemes at the moment?

We don't currently have a scheme but the company is open to joining one for EVs and I would just like to compare the costs to doing a personal lease etc.

·
Registered
7 Posts
the peugeot 2008 is coming out cheapest at the moment around £250 a month 10kmiles for the top spec gt model. The rest are between 280 and 390. Small evs like the citigo are around 190. I work part time so I'm not in one of the higher tax bands. Folk on the higher bands can save even more - new peugeot 2008 gt would be around 180 p/m. tesla model 3 for someone on a high tax rate could be close to 300 pm

one thing to consider though is that the BIK is only confirmed for 3 years from april - doubling every year. They hope it will double again in 2023 to 4 percent but they can't garuntee that- it could shoot up at that point for EVs making the monthly costs a lot higher. from this perspective a 3 year lease makes more sense.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don’t know much about these schemes but they seem like the provider is overpriced. The gross deduction on my scheme is quite a lot more than the equivalent PCH in nearly every case. It’s only the tax savings that make them competitive and even then only if you’re in the 40/45% band.

you’re supposed to get a ‘Bulk discount’ benefit of buying through a corporate but looks to me more like they’re pricing higher to get some of your tax benefit as margin.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Cheers, its a 3 year lease we were thinking of.

So is that seen as a £250 a month reduction in your gross or net pay?
250 is from net pay. the gross figure is a lot higher (around £330 or so). it impacts on pension contributions which may be a factor if you are close to taking out a pension

·
Registered
131 Posts
BIK not doubling just adding 1% per year. The thing with salary sacrifice is that everyone wins (for EV's) except the tax man. In your calculation don't forget that these include everything except fuel. ( Insurance, maintenance, initial car tax, VED)

·
Registered
15 Posts
The Leaf N-connecta that I have ordered through a work Salary Sacrifice is around £260pcm net (£450 gross). This is with Hitachi Capital Vehicle Solutions.

This is based on 3 years, 15,000 miles per year and includes insurance for 4 named drivers, tyres, servicing etc.

Seems like a good enough deal to me, especially as no deposit, and very small penalty for ending the lease early.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts