Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
Tesla Model S, Ford Transit Flt Bed (Smiths), Mitsubishi i-MiEV, Vectrix VX-1, Aixam Mega City
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

A friend told me about www.polarinstant.com/map.php thismorning. Yes, yet another EVSE map. Interestingly, however, I see it shows a ChargeMaster Chademo (didn't know CM were into the Big Daddy) installation in the centre of Salisbury. I have put a Plugshare pin on their map for it but wondered if someone local could pop down and see if it is really there, if it is working (unlike the Hampshire CC ones... STILL!), what restrictions there are to using it (vehicle size and times etc) and what it costs? Then I'll update the pin.

Regards, Martin Winlow.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
They do have rapid chargers in the oxford, MK , Cambridge areas however they charge like a mad bull for them, interestingly these are listed as free

·
Driving yet another EV!
2,884 Posts
That is not a bad location for those visiting Salisbury - but far from ideal if you are passing through. The best location would probably have been at Waitrose, but I can live with having to navigate the one-way system for a rapid in the middle of the charger hole that was here!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Lol that is so funny. After my problems at the Red Lion, Salisbury (waiting for a guest to move his ICE car so I could charge overnight on the 7kW charger), they moved him to, yep, where this rapid appears to be, just 1 min walk away from the hotel. Two hours I waited!

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Lol that is so funny. After my problems at the Red Lion, Salisbury (waiting for a guest to move his ICE car so I could charge overnight on the 7kW charger), they moved him to, yep, where this rapid appears to be, just 1 min walk away from the hotel. Two hours I waited!
That car park at the red lion is something to behold ! I swear the charging spaces are near on impossible to get into once the carpark is full!

·
Registered
257 Posts
That car park at the red lion is something to behold ! I swear the charging spaces are near on impossible to get into once the carpark is full!
When I arrived on the second day, someone had driven in and parked without reservation so they had to move stuff to allow an additional car in, so it was more than full! Getting a Model S into the charging space between those brick pillars was an excercise in patience I can tell you. About 1 - 2 cm gap either side of the mirrors plus hardly any room to turn!

·
http://ts.la/david3488
702 Posts
So do we know if there is a chademo charger ? might make my trip to devon quicker..

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Interesting. Has anyone gone by or called CM? I may try the latter today. I'm a little busy this weekend but it's almost worth a drive over (I'm <25 miles away).

What's at that address? Seems somewhat odd charging would be free unless it's in a shopping centre car park, supermarket etc

·
Registered
63 Posts
We tracked this down today on the way back from Somerset.
Its at 51.067446, -1.792992

It is the same model as the Ecotricity rapid chargers, but its a Chargemaster. It seems to be in working order, it had an error on when we saw it, but I am sure a phone call to Chargemaster would fix that, said attempting to re-initialise (after emergency stop).

It was ICED in, it seems the parking spaces in front of it are not reserved for EVs, that coupled with the traffic in Salisbury and the approx 1 in 80 chance of getting the parking space in-front of it make it fairly useless unfortunately.
The brown street car park was rammed even on a Sunday. Use the Ivy Street entrance to get to the charge point.

God knows why they decided to put it in the City centre rather than on the A36 or somewhere usable.

Attachments

·
http://ts.la/david3488
702 Posts
thanks for the update

·
Driving yet another EV!
2,884 Posts
We tracked this down today on the way back from Somerset.
Its at 51.067446, -1.792992

It is the same model as the Ecotricity rapid chargers, but its a Chargemaster. It seems to be in working order, it had an error on when we saw it, but I am sure a phone call to Chargemaster would fix that, said attempting to re-initialise (after emergency stop).

It was ICED in, it seems the parking spaces in front of it are not reserved for EVs, that coupled with the traffic in Salisbury and the approx 1 in 80 chance of getting the parking space in-front of it make it fairly useless unfortunately.
The brown street car park was rammed even on a Sunday. Use the Ivy Street entrance to get to the charge point.

God knows why they decided to put it in the City centre rather than on the A36 or somewhere usable.
Hi, would you mind if I added your photo to the PlugShare entry for this charger? (Or you could perhaps add it)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Recently spotted the same type of rapid charger (DBT with no branding) in 2 other Wiltshire Council car parks:
King Street, Melksham and Gladstone Road, Chippenham. Neither were powered up.

I'll update this forum and openchargemap if/when they are brought into service.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts

It's chargemaster we're talking about here.

Their business model is basically 'take the public funding, whack the unit somewhere random & forget about it - and if someone actually wants to use it, let's charge them an extortionate amount for the privilege (even if they've already paid for it via taxation).

Still, the local dogs need something to wee against... so it will get used.

I'm glad our public funds are being well spent :)

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
26 cents p/kWh, a euro for the hour, or a very reasonable 89 euros for the whole year?

That's hilarious! And here we are, discussing a (100k?) white elephant stuck in the middle of a rammed car park - that, in the extremely unlikely event it is working and accessible, will cost the user more per mile than the diesel equivalent

You couldn't make this up.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Yup white elephant to us but yet another golden hand shake from a council to Dischargemaster, widely reported to have ex Tory party treasurer as an early investor.:rolleyes:

Now you know what British competition looks like!

No point reporting this to the monopolies commission, there is only one of them.;)

1 - 20 of 58 Posts