Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro MY20 64 kWh - Gravity Blue
649 Posts
Elon is living the rich family life so it seems. He seems to have gained quite some weight :)

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
What a super video, takes a while to get going but then it's great. Just watch the body language shift.

Elon: 'Redo the factory without blowing up the cash flow.'

That's the problem the established car makers have but with ICE to BEV transformation.

This is a very honest open conversation between two individuals who are bonded by the concept by doing it right.

It is a joy to watch them move from cold careful intro to lively friendly chatter.

The conversation about Carbon Fibre is really informative when Sandy is hinting Tesla need to copy BMW.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Model S and X now moving to Li-Ion 12 volt batteries!
Only as an interim measure. :) Clear indications that the LV side will move to 48 volts Li-ion. Did you spot that Elon wants something faster than CAN bus? If Tesla keep pushing auto electrics and electronics forward at pace then other car makers are in trouble as they don't seem to be very good at innovation in that area depending as they do on OEM design. Tesla have the capability in-house which will be far more agile.

The video has made me put a Model Y at the top of my next car option list.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
20,876 Posts
Sandy Munro has become such a fan boy.

Apparently he's been telling the industry for years to do all this stuff, and then along comes Elon. ;)

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I watched some of his videos and concluded it was more about the manufacturer than it is about a customer/car I want to buy. For instance he talked about the roof lining structures and how they meant Tesla could use cheap cloth and not more expensive materials like alcantara, I don't want cheap cloth. These single piece castings are all well and good to get manufacturing tolerances but he might take a different view if he was an accident repair company or insurance company. Slightly alarming they were still angle grinding parts of the shell away to allow wiring looms to be fitted! I guess the benefits translate to cheaper cars but I'm not convinced they are better cars.

When he did the tear down of the BMW i3 he held it up as the most significant car since the Model T and heavily praises both the manufacturing approach and materials, that seems to get less attention.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
He was right about the i3, but BMW don't seem to have followed that up with anything :(

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
He was right about the i3, but BMW don't seem to have followed that up with anything :(
Its the conundrum that most german auto makers have been puzzling over - the i3 has been a steady seller but hadn't taken off big style despite being a brave design, great use of materials and held up as being the most significant new model, they were all probably looking at it and thinking the market isn't ready. If you invest a truck of cash into a product like that and get the sales they did I imagine its hard for BMW to justify doubling down on it 4 5 years ago. I'm sure they've learnt a stack load and lets hope that comes out with the new cars this year and if the rumour they're doing an electric M car are true that could be more than entertaining.

I also don't understand why car manufacturers aren't getting their dealerships to install rapid chargers. It would cost but the land is there, the parking is there, they have a coffee shop and rest room, they'd also have a captive audience for an hour wandering around the showroom thinking "hmm I like that.." and they'd have a charging network covering most of the country. It seems like a trivial thing to do if they wanted to get serious. I think Nissan started to do it but it doesn't seem to have taken off much.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I think Nissan started to do it but it doesn't seem to have taken off much.
They did it the wrong way by making it free or donation-based. Should've just charged a Gridserve-level price and be done with it.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Nissan definitely did it wrong - unreliable, often ICEd, or always connected to the demo car...

In fairness, the two BMW dealerships that I went to back in 2019 both had chargers that were available for public use. One was almost perfectly done: a CCS rapid on the forecourt in the front, that was reserved for charging only... But, it couldn't manage to charge the i3 that I was driving for more than about 10mins before it failed. The other was a 7kw unit around the back, so... waste of time. Still, almost there :)

·
Registered
170 Posts
Haven't had a chance to watch it yet but looking forward to it.
Sandy should get an OBN with this one, it's kinda embarrassing / comedic.

At 15m in: Autopilot will save more lives than seat belts, air bags, or any other existing safety technology.

No hard questions about the recent MCU recall / whompy wheels / etc.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts