Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Long time no speak(EV) ;-) Still have the Ampera and still enjoy driving it. Even more so now daily commute is shorter (when we're actually allowed out again, that is) as I can have it in sports mode all the time ;-)

So at last MOT/Service they gave me a quote, just wanted to ask you guys if the prices are any good or if I should be haggling/getting some jobs done elsewhere. My approach with the Ampera is that anything to do with electrics I'd stick to main dealer, but wheels/brakes/tyres/bodywork I can get done anywhere and they can't have me for warranty issues, right?

I got:
A 0802209 "Rear brakes slightly corroded, remove pads an iscs and pads" (that's exactly what they wrote!) £120.00
M V0023118061 132C01 Brake Disc x 2 @ £118 charged at £100.30 each = £200.60
M V0013404405 B35D02 Brake Pad, KI x 1 @ £133 charged at £113.05
Section subtotal £433.65

Online it appears I can get Eicher @ £44.99 or Brembo at £64.99 for discs and £35-50 for pads (Eicher -> Brembo) so their pricing is crap for the parts and I'm pretty sure my local car mechanic can do the work required - does that sound the better option as I suspect I can get a better labour price there too!

Next is:
A PREIDENTIFIED High Voltage Coolant Fluid for battery £250.00
M V0093160377 157C01 Antifreeze @£8.19
Section Subtotal £258.19

I've seen some discussions in here on this fluid and that they warn that Voltec warranty can be affected if I don't agree to them changing the fluid. Is this one I just have to suck up and take as no-one else can touch this part of the car?

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,330 Posts
Brakes - buy yourself and arrange replacement at your place of preference (just make sure they are happy to fit customer supplied parts, I've heard of places refusing in case something arises in the future due to faulty/wrong parts).
Coolant, it may be that they are quoting for the replacement of the coolant at 5 years of age. When my car was 5 years old I was told by the dealership that is is no longer a required service item and it was now up to the customer if they wanted it done, other dealerships have said it is still mandatory. There are other posts on how to check the levels and colour of the fluids in the reservoirs. I would be asking if this PREIDENTIFIED item was a service item or something that the car was storing an error code for.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
The 50,000 mile or 5th year service require the HV coolant change to keep the voltec warranty. I'm afraid this one your stuck with. Once the warranty is out then this can be done if needed by the HEVRA folks.
Brakes - local, though make sure your local guy dosn't panic at EV's

·
Registered
108 Posts
Were the rear brakes an advisory? I would suggest it's fairly normal for them to get a little pitted etc in an EV. See if you can post a pic...

If your car is still in warranty then yes you will have to get the coolant changed to keep it valid. Hopefully they do it properly and purge the system of air bubbles.

Cheers,
Jim

·
Registered
370 Posts
My rear brakes were an advisory at the last service 4000 miles/9 months before they got so noisy (esp offside) that even I could hear them!

Local place did them for a bit under £200 but probably only cheapo parts. My "little man" who I've used for years won't touch the car, scared of electricity!

·
Registered
319 Posts
Leave the brakes alone unless they are really bad. Apply the electronic handbrake and drive off with it on (it will auto-release) once a day and they will gradually clean up.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I get on pretty well with the small independent my wife uses for her B-Max so I'll get them to have a quick look and let me know what they think. Interesting to see the slightly different views above on the HV coolant change. I'll try asking them but they don't seem the sharpest tools in the box when I've asked them tech questions before. I always get the feeling they turn to "Page X" of the Vauxhall corporate manual to trot out whatever makes them the most money.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
I bought high quality EBC disks and pads for around £100 all in. They have a web page that you can order from.
Easily installed yourself if you have done it before in an hour and will be better than Vx parts.

Was shocked when I took the pads out as they didn't look too bad but it had heavy rust accross the whole of the disk on the inside and hardly any pad left. Front pads and disks are still original and virtually as new. Car is a 2012 and has 60,000 miles under it.

The battery coolant replacement is required for the warranty after 5 years but I doubt really makes much of a difference. My Tesla M3 has coolant in for life and is probably the same stuff. It doesn't get stressed by high temperatures as in an engine.

@donald has the best idea that by replacing the coolant in the header tank with fresh every now and then, it will renew the fluid eventually without allowing bubbles in.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts