Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another lurker close to ordering with a couple of questions.

Wife currently owns an i3S, but arrival of our first and probably only little one early on Sunday morning has put that into perspective.

Works from a space point of view for the everyday trips (fits childseat, pushchair, carrycot, two adults and little lady’s daily necessities), but the SR+ would be better for longer UK and Euro journeys.

Is there any news on the heavily rumoured Connectivity subscription? Like the idea of satellite maps as the Mrs uses Google Maps in sat mode via CarPlay.

That being my second question. Quite like CarPlay in the BMW. Anyone have it before and miss it in the 3?

As I understand it there’s no streaming in the SR+ (until the Connectivity subscription is available anyway). So via USB what does Spotify etc look like on the big screen? Any track details etc?

Does the upgraded hifi sound in the SR+ have any decent depth/bass? Not heard any complaints from owners on here, so I assume it’s pretty decent.

Also, does anyone have the tyre size/spec for the SR+? Want to check availability of Winter tyres.

Thinking about leasing via Pink. They seem to be the cheapest unless anyone knows of a cheaper deal.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
86 Posts
AFAIK there’s no news about the upgrade to premium services. I can’t see why they wouldn’t do it? The sooner the better I’d assume and get that income coming in. I would imagine there would be quite a lot of SR+ owners that would take the option out.

The tyre size will be 235/45 R18

Hope this helps

·
Registered
495 Posts
The speakers in the LR/Performance are definitely better than in the SR+, but if you don't step from one into the other you probably wouldn't miss much. The bass is still there in the SR+ but it's a bit lacking if you really like the feel of a sub and the "immersive" sound doesn't do much in the SR+
I'd have liked the option to have the upgraded audio in the SR+ but I'm not unhappy with what I have.
Navigating tracks on usb does pick up album art and artist/album name and such. It's a bit clunky.
Don't really miss Carplay as I tend to put on a radio station or album and drive. I don't poke at things or change tracks much. Having said that I've not worked out what I need to say for the voice activation to actually select the radio station I want, so I have to go to all the trouble of using my finger.

·
Registered
372 Posts
AFAIK there’s no news about the upgrade to premium services. I can’t see why they wouldn’t do it? The sooner the better I’d assume and get that income coming in. I would imagine there would be quite a lot of SR+ owners that would take the option out.

The tyre size will be 235/45 R18

Hope this helps
Has Musk tweeted about this at all?

It's been out in America now for so long and they still haven't done it, I'm starting to worry they may never offer an upgrade.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Has Musk tweeted about this at all?

It's been out in America now for so long and they still haven't done it, I'm starting to worry they may never offer an upgrade.
If Tesla have said they will offer it as a future upgrade then I guess the chance of them doing it are high, however they may decide against it to keep it exclusive to the higher models which cost more.

·
Registered
372 Posts
If Tesla have said they will offer it as a future upgrade then I guess the chance of them doing it are high, however they may decide against it to keep it exclusive to the higher models which cost more.
That's kind of what I'm asking, have they?

So far it seems it's just speculation unless there is some official word somewhere?

·
Registered
86 Posts
That's kind of what I'm asking, have they?

So far it seems it's just speculation unless there is some official word somewhere?
There isn’t anything official that I know of. Just rumour at the moment. I think some people have asked Tesla sales staff and they have said ‘it’s coming’ but nothing concrete yet.

·
Premium Member
9,917 Posts
Like the idea of satellite maps as the Mrs uses Google Maps in sat mode via CarPlay.
You understand that the Google maps are available in SR+ just not the satellite overlay? We have had a Model S (in USA) for almost 3 years and very rarely use that feature. Also, even in Model 3 with new MCU it is slow with the overlay on - again we don't tend to use.

AFAIK the only way to play Spotify in the SR+ is to use Bluetooth from your phone, so you won't get any info onscreen. It is one of the many reasons we went for LR - although range at 80% charge was biggest one!

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You understand that the Google maps are available in SR+ just not the satellite overlay? We have had a Model S (in USA) for almost 3 years and very rarely use that feature. Also, even in Model 3 with new MCU it is slow with the overlay on - again we don't tend to use.

AFAIK the only way to play Spotify in the SR+ is to use Bluetooth from your phone, so you won't get any info onscreen. It is one of the many reasons we went for LR - although range at 80% charge was biggest one!
Yep. It’s not a deal breaker but the sat view is something Mrs R prefers.

Track and album information on screen is pretty important otherwise it means having the phone mounted somewhere on the dash.

Just a shame Tesla couldn’t do what was necessary to incorporate Apple CarPlay/Android Auto as standard or as an option. Much simpler and cleaner.

We don’t need the LR’s range so it’s not really worth paying for.

Fingers crossed the Premium subscription comes in the near future....although I wonder how the additional speakers that should activate will sound without the subwoofer missing from the SR+

·
Premium Member
9,917 Posts
Just a shame Tesla couldn’t do what was necessary to incorporate Apple CarPlay/Android Auto as standard or as an option. Much simpler and cleaner.
Doing so would break the philosophy of in-house dev which they seem keen on to maintain integration and cohesion to the UX. Letting Google and other 3rd parties control a key part of the interface isn't really a great idea when the UX is a key Tesla differentiator. The recent major change Google did to AA is an example of why they will be reticent.

Having used the messy BMW interface in our i3 on the smallish screen, I can see why you think Carplay is "simpler and cleaner", but I doubt it would work well on such a large screen. Tesla would need to have the mirroring in a smaller, shrinkable window, which is probably against the Apple/Google rules. If that rule changed, that may be an option for them - but I certainly wouldn't bank on it.

I am pleased with the Spotify integration in our UK Model 3 and am hoping the rumour of it coming to our USA Model S will come true. I would also like the USB player to be better as I do like playing my lossless FLAC in car and the music navigation (even with limited number of albums) is poor.

The main AA feature I miss in both our Tesla is being able to receive and send text messages by voice, which I use quite often in Zoe! However when in AA I have no access to car information - I have to switch back to the completely different Renault UI, which is klunky. Even Google realise it has limitations which is why they are doing an embedded Android - which we will see on the Polestar 2.

Incidentally, Premium connectivity if and when available for SR+ would be just that. There are no current plans to enable other Full Premium features - such as enabling more speakers or rear heated seats, but we can't rule out those upgrades being available at a cost in the future. It could be a way to boost earnings at a Q end ;)

·
Registered
523 Posts
I think it's highly likely that a subscription WILL be offered - just think, once there's 500,000 SR+ out there (a year or two from now?), $100 per year each, 50% take up, $25 million revenue per year.

As said, the Tyres are 235/45R18, but they're unusual. They are "T0" spec, which has foam filling but also an unusual geometry (they look very stretched on an 8.5" rim, which a 235 shouldn't).

The sound quality in the SR+ is ok. Better than the High Performance Audio in my 2011 Volvo V70 was, not quite as good as the Mark Levinson in my 2015 Lexus GS. However, the main problem I have with audio in cars (as a recovering audiophile and former amplifier technology designer) is that the sound quality is not very relevant when the background noise level is high. The GS has the benefit of being one of the quietest cars there is when on the move. The model 3 is distinctly less quiet on a motorway (much more in line with a C-seg hatch than other D-seg saloons) so that gives it a harder time, but it's perfectly listenable. WAY better than the Bose system in my Leaf 24 Tekna.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I think it's highly likely that a subscription WILL be offered - just think, once there's 500,000 SR+ out there (a year or two from now?), $100 per year each, 50% take up, $25 million revenue per year.

As said, the Tyres are 235/45R18, but they're unusual. They are "T0" spec, which has foam filling but also an unusual geometry (they look very stretched on an 8.5" rim, which a 235 shouldn't).

The sound quality in the SR+ is ok. Better than the High Performance Audio in my 2011 Volvo V70 was, not quite as good as the Mark Levinson in my 2015 Lexus GS. However, the main problem I have with audio in cars (as a recovering audiophile and former amplifier technology designer) is that the sound quality is not very relevant when the background noise level is high. The GS has the benefit of being one of the quietest cars there is when on the move. The model 3 is distinctly less quiet on a motorway (much more in line with a C-seg hatch than other D-seg saloons) so that gives it a harder time, but it's perfectly listenable. WAY better than the Bose system in my Leaf 24 Tekna.
What sort of EQ settings do you use/recommend, out of interest?

·
Registered
523 Posts
None. The designers (especially given that Tesla have done their own class-D amp design, done by some ex B&O guys) spend time integrating the system and applying a base EQ to match the behaviour of the car (akin to applying a room correction in a domestic system - they've already applied a "car correction" to deal with peaks/troughs in the in-car response). As the SR+ lacks a sub you're not going to recreate 20-40Hz response by turning the bass up (as the smaller door drive units can not reach that low), just unbalance what there is.

But ultimately it's personal preference, and dependent on what music you are listening too as well. If you like the bass up a bit then turn it up a bit. If it sounds good to you a certain way then you don't need to justify that to anyone else.

·
Premium Member
9,917 Posts
Not sure if this has been seen or posted yet, but it seems like all you SR+ drivers are in luck!
He said "probably" not "yes" so I wouldn't expect it soon. They are trying to upsell people to LR and Performance models due to bigger profit margin and this Netflix stuff helps (apparently - not something we will do on our LR!)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Thanks for all the contributions to this thread. Wife is considering a model 3 SR+
Am I understanding it correctly that you CAN use Google Maps as your navigation?
If not, what is the native tesla Nav program like if you live in London/SE ? How does the traffic info compare to Waze?
Does the model 3 SR+ have DAB?

I understand that the SR+ doesn't have apps like Spotify or tune in, but I'd be surprised if you didn't have basic control of Spotify on the touchscreen when playing via Bluetooth (ie skip tracks and pause etc).

So would the subscription upgrade being discussed give access to apps like Spotify and Tunein? What other apps would be included ?

Cheers,

·
Registered
11,086 Posts
Thanks for all the contributions to this thread. Wife is considering a model 3 SR+
Am I understanding it correctly that you CAN use Google Maps as your navigation?
If not, what is the native tesla Nav program like if you live in London/SE ? How does the traffic info compare to Waze?

I understand that the SR+ doesn't have apps like Spotify or tune in, but I'd be surprised if you didn't have basic control of Spotify on the touchscreen when playing via Bluetooth (ie skip tracks and pause etc).

So would the subscription upgrade being discussed give access to apps like Spotify and Tunein? What other apps would be included ?

Cheers,
Spotify and TuneIn aren’t apps, they’re built into the media player. The simple answer would be to tether your phone to the car via WiFi.

However I’ve found the Spotify functionality to be a bit flakey at times so run media from my phone.

Tesla navigation is OK most of the time, but if I’m in London I use Waze. Even Google maps failed me on Friday when there was a temporary road closure.

·
Registered
224 Posts

Cheers,
Yes Google Maps navigation is in all models, and allows for traffic. You just don't see the traffic red lines or satellite view you get in the higher models. You can listen to Spotify through Bluetooth via your phone

·
Registered
11,086 Posts
Yes Google Maps navigation is in all models, and allows for traffic.
To be slightly pedantic, the actual navigation isn’t Google. The only thing that is is the satellite view overlay.

Hence it will navigate without the internet, even if there’s nothing shown on the main screen.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts