Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
It can take Wazes a long time to detect a road is open that it thinks is closed as it gets the data from Wazes users, who will not drive along roads that Waze say are closed.

Waze also tries to predict that roads that will have a problem by the time the user gets to them. All the systems have issues with sending you along roads that are closing later in the day, they don't know if you are going to take a long break and hence hit the closed road.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Waze was bought by google, but they don't seem to have combined much of the data. Google maps does show incidents reported by waze, but the two systems almost always propose different routes. It may be that they're harvesting data to see which algorithm produces a better route.
The Tesla system has also got the wrong speed limits on a lot of the roads in the midlands, which I thought would be updated quite quickly. A lot of local roads, especially around schools or residential areas are now 20MPH, but the maps show them as 30.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Waze was bought by google, but they don't seem to have combined much of the data. Google maps does show incidents reported by waze, but the two systems almost always propose different routes. It may be that they're harvesting data to see which algorithm produces a better route.
The Tesla system has also got the wrong speed limits on a lot of the roads in the midlands, which I thought would be updated quite quickly. A lot of local roads, especially around schools or residential areas are now 20MPH, but the maps show them as 30.
To be fair apps supplied with TomTom data have the same annoying issue.

It would appear in practice Tesla are currently using a mix of their own data and Google’s. With so few cars and therefore data sources on the road in the UK so far compared to the number of sources navigation traffic data firms have, I did wonder how they’d be able to source enough material on their own to supply accurate data.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I don’t this this is based on fact. They may augment with third party traffic data but Tesla specifically announced crowd sourced traffic data being used in their cars since last year.

https://electrek.co/2018/04/12/tesla-new-waze-like-crowdsourced-traffic-data-navigation-update/
Could that be just for the US given there are a lot less Teslas in other countries to crowdsource traffic data? Every time I use the navigation in the car it matches the Google Map estimated journey times on my phone that allows for traffic etc

41 - 45 of 45 Posts