Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Later models have a new Sat Nav that does NOT use an SD card.
Hence can update over the air automatically, or by ourselves via WIFI or USB.

It runs of TomTom maps which do have a facility for 'the community' to submit corrections and updates for roads, chargers, address's bla bla bla.

This following link is for the downloading of PC software to update via a USB, but the bottom RH corner is a link Mapshare reporter.
Nissan Navigation Portal
Appears you have to register, doesn't see our current NissanConnect logins.

The following is the full update instructions provided by Nissan Customer services 21/10/21, (not tried & tested)
-----------------------------

Thank you for contacting Nissan Customer Services.

You can update the maps in your vehicle via Wi-Fi or USB. Instructions are below.

(1) How to update via Wi-Fi:

1. If not already done, connect vehicle to an available Wi-Fi network.
• Go to [Settings], then [Connections], then go to the [Wi-Fi] Connections screen, (do not push the Wi-Fi button on the Wi-Fi Connections screen; this feature is meant for something else)
• Select a Wi-Fi network and enter its password
2. Push [MENU]
3. Touch [Info] on Launch Bar and then touch [System Information].
4. Touch [Map Update].
5. Touch [Update via Smartphone or Wi-Fi Hotspot]. A confirmation message is displayed.
• Turning on "Wi-Fi" on smartphone does not turn smartphone into a mobile hotspot
• If you don't know how to do so, please refer to smartphone help information or smartphone's online support
6. Touch [Select Area], select area to be updated, and Touch [OK].
7. Touch [Yes] to update selected area.
8. Touch [OK] after completing update.

(2) How to update maps using UBS:

Firstly, for map updates with your navigation system, please use a USB memory with the following specifications:

Supported media: USB 2.0
Supported file system: FAT32

Secondly, to update maps via USB, do the below:

1. Push <MENU>. (Depending on model, this same operation can instead be performed by touching [Settings] on Launch Bar and then touching [System Update].)
2. Touch [Info] on Launch Bar and then touch [System Information].
3. Touch [Map Update].
4. Touch [Update via USB Device].
5. Touch [Save Map Information to USB Device].
6. Insert blank USB memory device into USB connection port. Please note that if there is already data in USB memory, it may be deleted.
7. Touch [Start].
8. Touch [OK] after saving map information to USB.
9. From personal computer, go to: Nissan Navigation Portal to download and install map update tool onto personal computer.
10. Download updated data and store it in USB memory with map update tool.
11. Push <MENU>.
12. Touch [Info] on Launch Bar and then touch [System Information].
13. Touch [Map Update].
14. Touch [Update via USB Device].
15. Touch [Install Map Update from USB Device].
16. Insert USB memory into USB connection port. A confirmation message will be displayed. Confirm contents of message and touch [Yes].
17. Touch [OK] after completing update. Please note that navigation system cannot be operated while map updates. Map data should be updated while engine is running to prevent discharge of the vehicle battery.

---------------------------------

So there we have it, the means to correct those directions up bus only routes, others inviting take the 3rd junction at the traffic lights !.. missing postcodes and even correct the verbal commands that don't match to map directions :) :cool:

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Fine in theory !

I applied an update by wifi a few days after collecting car (Feb 2020) and have tried to do it again many times since. I often get a message that I have the latest version (or more often process bombs out) but on a recent drive from Formby to Blackpool I found several instances of not very new road improvements that the satnav didn't know about.

I didn't know about the USB route and will see if that gets me a newer 'map' (but not confident !)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fine in theory !

I applied an update by wifi a few days after collecting car (Feb 2020) and have tried to do it again many times since. I often get a message that I have the latest version (or more often process bombs out) but on a recent drive from Formby to Blackpool I found several instances of not very new road improvements that the satnav didn't know about.

I didn't know about the USB route and will see if that gets me a newer 'map' (but not confident !)
Agreed, when going into the Mapshare reporter the new road layouts are present and correct, the issue appears to be with Tom Tom.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I managed to download the map update tool OK

Not impressed with the instructions :-
"Select Info on the bottom menu bar of the Navigation System.
Select System Information from the Info menu."
There is no Info on the bottom menu bar of the Navigation System. !

However, I managed to find the 'Select System Information' from the main menu / info.
Followed instructions to Save Map Information to USB and indeed a small file called "AllianceNDSMapConfig.json" arrived on the stick. Not the huge file I was expecting, just 15KB but the info in it seemed to describe present state of navigation system OK

Attempted to continue update process but a pop-up window insisted that my data stick wasn't 'ready' so process failed.

All in all, exactly what I might have expected from Nissan software ! Thank goodness the team that write them don't have any responsibility for the vehicle safety systems !

I'm away in the car for next few days so won't be checking in here or even able to retry process but I may be able to try again next weekend.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I managed to download the map update tool OK

Not impressed with the instructions :-
"Select Info on the bottom menu bar of the Navigation System.
Select System Information from the Info menu."
There is no Info on the bottom menu bar of the Navigation System. !

However, I managed to find the 'Select System Information' from the main menu / info.
Followed instructions to Save Map Information to USB and indeed a small file called "AllianceNDSMapConfig.json" arrived on the stick. Not the huge file I was expecting, just 15KB but the info in it seemed to describe present state of navigation system OK

Attempted to continue update process but a pop-up window insisted that my data stick wasn't 'ready' so process failed.

All in all, exactly what I might have expected from Nissan software ! Thank goodness the team that write them don't have any responsibility for the vehicle safety systems !

I'm away in the car for next few days so won't be checking in here or even able to retry process but I may be able to try again next weekend.
Having entered some further questions on the TomTom community help forum, its doubtful any corrections done under the Nissan guest log in actually get processed, plus its noticeable from others that there can be a huge delay.. years before TomTom even process the maps for distribution.. so not looking too positive at the very moment

1 - 5 of 5 Posts