Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up my 2018 GTE AdVance yesterday and the map data is missing (no SD cards in the slots).

Now the dealer are going to post me the SD card (and the spare key) so I am not overly concerned but I would like to use it and play with it (and I'm too impatient to wait a week!).

I do have a 32GB micro SD card and an SD card adaptor. Can I download and install the maps myself?

The navigation unit is the standard one with the rotary controls left and right - I believe it is called discover. I've added a library picture of a unit that looks similar

Can it be done or do I need to wait for the original card to be posted to me?

If it can be done, I would really appreciate step by step instructions.

Thanks all.

Michael

Sent from my BBF100-1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
174 Posts
You can do it yourself. (you must have an empty SD card formatted with a FAT file system

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have the same age Golf as you with the same head unit - you can't just make your own SD card from blank. I got another from eBay when I bought the car last year and the cars original turned up in the post several weeks later.

I still have the spare if your dealer doesn't sort you out let me know. VW have some sort of protected partition on the SD cards that needs to be there for it to work in the car.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Apologies to my earlier post!
What @Kalua states is what's on the VW website.
I have a discover pro head unit and have successfully made updates with my own SD cards just by downloading the updates from VW.
Maybe it's not possible to use this as a map data card with the discover unit or update without an original map data card in slot 2?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Picked up my 2018 GTE AdVance yesterday and the map data is missing (no SD cards in the slots).

Now the dealer are going to post me the SD card (and the spare key) so I am not overly concerned but I would like to use it and play with it (and I'm too impatient to wait a week!).

I do have a 32GB micro SD card and an SD card adaptor. Can I download and install the maps myself?

The navigation unit is the standard one with the rotary controls left and right - I believe it is called discover. I've added a library picture of a unit that looks similar

Can it be done or do I need to wait for the original card to be posted to me?

If it can be done, I would really appreciate step by step instructions.

Thanks all.

Michael

Sent from my BBF100-1 using Tapatalk
Do you know if your system is a Discover Pro? My 2015 GTE doesn't need an SD card for the maps as it stores the map data on the internal SSD. I just use an USB stick to update the maps periodically.
You can just download the maps on to a USb and force a map update.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts