Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Europe EVO 2020 -1 is now available via the BMW Download Manager 29GB in size. I am just getting it into a USB to put in the car. Not that I am going far in Lockdown. This is for my 2019 i3s.

·
Registered
167 Posts
NEXT 2020-2 is the latest version for pre-LCI cars, FWIW.

Reactions: Mike J.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One useful thing I have noticed is that the download manager seems to have changed and is more forgiving. Now says you can use FAT32, NTFS, and ExFAT Formatted USB sticks. Back end of last year I ended up messing around finding a disk format utility to get my 64GB disk into FAT32 to get the download manager to work.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I use one of these tiny USB readers and a 32Gb micro SD card and it works without a hitch:

·
Registered
98 Posts
How long does the update take to install, do you have to remain in the car while it’s updating? Just downloaded it which took a long time for both the maps.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How long does the update take to install, do you have to remain in the car while it’s updating? Just downloaded it which took a long time for both the maps.
Probably takes a couple of hours once the USB is in the car. Best thing to do is put USB in car and it will do update while it is charging or being driven. So no need to sit in car. If you are driving the vehicle you can continue to utilise the old map as it updates. You will get a few little messages on your screen as it updates so really easy.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Thanks, car fully charged and not doing any journeys that take a couple of hours. Will just do late evening or early morning when its cooler.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Did the update in my i3 yesterday. Took about 20 minutes and you can stop and lock the car and it will pick up where it left off when you come back to it. It gives you a percentage progress as it updates. This is my second BMW and it was the same in the last one.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Isn't it supposed to update itself over WiFi?
I did think BMW generated some buzz around LCI cars getting OTA (over-the-air) updates, but either this was software only and not mapping or it's never worked very well. Ours is a pre-LCI car, so it's going to be via USB all the way for us!

·
Registered
704 Posts
Not sure what LCI means but my Dec 2018 i3 has automatic updates. They work fine but they aren’t loaded immediately the update is available, it depends how they are scheduled through Connected Drive. I currently have 2020-1. So, absolutely no need to do anything, just wait for a bit. No human intervention which is how I like it and no risk of messing everything up.

·
Registered
10 Posts
LCI stands for 'Life Cycle Impulse' and is BMW speak for a refresh/update of a current model car at some point during its planned lifespan.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
There was a big discussion about the over the air updates on an other thread effectively they are just local updates. If you want to update all of Western Europe you need the USB, if you just want UK it eventually arrives over the air. When I see the USB update I do it as it does absolutely everything and is relatively easy.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts