Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just seen the latest SatNav update for the i3s is available for download to USB (Mine is a 2019 vehicle). About 32gb so use a 64gb usb stick. Also seems to very an update for the download software in Windows 10. Process requires download onto PC, then insert USB where it unzips and loads from the PC. Then takes an hour to load to vehicle seems to do this if both charging or driving.

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
428 Posts
Takes an hour? Is this limited by the USB stick do you think or by processing speed in the computer itself?
I don't really want to sit in the car for an hour to do an update... Can you leave the car plugged into the charge point and lock the doors and it'll continue running or does the ignition need to be on?

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No just lock the car and leave the USB stick in, if the car is charging or being driven it seems to load. No need to have ignition on. No need to sit in car unless you are driving on regular trips, the SatNav will still work while the maps updates it seems.

·
Short term PHEV
2020 i3
643 Posts
I read that the i3 doesnt have over the air updates but a few days ago a message popped up when i started the car saying that there was a nav update installed? I hiit ok and the system rebooted in a couple of minutes. Any idea what this was for?
It's a 2020 car, only had it a couple of weeks so still finding my way around.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You should get over the air, but this will just be your locality I.e. UK. If you want the full Western Europe you need the USB. Plenty of discussion of pros and cons of approach. Personally as it is very little hassle I just do the USB update as I know this covers everything, doubt I will take the vehicle overseas but who knows 😀

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mine was bundled with the new vehicle for 3 years. You can check- go to the Connected App - select “Hub”- select “Booked Subscriptions “. This then shows you all you have and expiry dates. Alternatively log onto your BMW account on the PC,

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
428 Posts
Yes I did check actually and it's true that the car has in fact already updated the UK map over the air. :) But the main europe map hasn't updated, as also commented above. That's ok, for now. I'll make a point of updating it before the pre-paid service expires at some point but I'm unlikely to be taking this car outside the UK. Thanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts