Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Do you know is it possible to upgrade/update 2012 system to newer Navi 950 intellikink which is in newer amperas/Volts?

·
Premium Member
9,672 Posts
Do you know is it possible to upgrade/update 2012 system to newer Navi 950 intellikink which is in newer amperas/Volts?
Nav 950 was only on very rare (in UK) MY14. I believe the buttons on centre console are slightly different so although probably technically feasible I doubt cost effective.

I use a 4G tablet for Waze and to play Spotify playlist via Chromecast audio into aux. The integration between Spotify and Waze is very good these days. I still use factory nav about 50% of the time.

·
New EV driver
184 Posts
have
Nav 950 was only on very rare (in UK) MY14. I believe the buttons on centre console are slightly different so although probably technically feasible I doubt cost effective.

I use a 4G tablet for Waze and to play Spotify playlist via Chromecast audio into aux. The integration between Spotify and Waze is very good these days. I still use factory nav about 50% of the time.
you got a picture of your set up? Does the chromecast need an internet connection to stream from the phone of the music is on the phone?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I used to love the UFO tv series (and all of Gerry Andersons creations) being of that age and remember Ed Straker's car. You probably know this but it was built on the chassis of a Mk 4 Ford Zephyr. It was found a few years ago rotting away in someone's garden but is rumoured to have been saved and restored.It was made LHD because they thought UK would follow the rest of the world and drive on the right in the future It's us that got it right as mounting steps for horses were always on the left side of the road and hence natural to ride off on the left. The rest of the world got it wrong www.fanderson.org.uk

·
Premium Member
9,672 Posts
have

you got a picture of your set up? Does the chromecast need an internet connection to stream from the phone of the music is on the phone?
Away at present without Ampera but will do photos when back.

I use the 4G tablet in hotspot mode for the Chromecast to connect. To setup Chromecast you connect another device (eg mobile) to the hotspot. Hotspot isn't a Google supported Chromecast config and it stopped working for a while (due to Play update) but due to user pressure they fixed!

·
Ampera aka IGOR
2,689 Posts
Digging up an old thread here but during a rake on t'interweb I came across an offer of an upgrade to the maps on the Ampera. The only thing is mine is a 2013 and the offer is the last available version GM NAVI AUDIO PACKAGE EUROPE - 2013 Part number 22945592. Now the crux is that they say I need to contact the dealership to find out what my version is. I can't remember ever seeing it within the menus, although I seem to recall seeing an option, however, I am sure it was greyed out as not selectable. Has anyone found out a way to identify their version of the maps?

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Who would want to pay money for that stupidly designed satnav? How could GM in all honesty release or even purchase software that is clearly unfinished with that stupid shrill text to voice program.
The recorded voice is perfectly ok but the one that reads road names out needs toning down a few octaves.

The lack of upgrades is hardly surprising! The basic satnav works reasonably but needed a switch to disable reading road names.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Who would want to pay money for that stupidly designed satnav? How could GM in all honesty release or even purchase software that is clearly unfinished with that stupid shrill text to voice program.
The recorded voice is perfectly ok but the one that reads road names out needs toning down a few octaves.

The lack of upgrades is hardly surprising! The basic satnav works reasonably but needed a switch to disable reading road names.
I quite like the Ampera SatNav - the calm voice and her hysterical sister are much better than the iPhone version that I used on the Astra. She was always telling me that she was “recalculating” whenever I took a short cut or wrong turn.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I use a sat nav for everything except local journeys , however its not for the navigation but for showing the speed limit and making a warning sound if I exceed it. These features are not available on the Vauxhall unit and therefore I have no intention of upgrading the maps. In this day and age with cameras everywhere, its unthinkable to use a sat nav without speed warnings and a display of the speed limit. I like the idea of having my ampera screen mirror my phone screen which is something I will do in the future, for now I have satnav on a phone on a holder. Sometimes I have both sat navs running simultaneously so I get double instructions which makes sure I don't forget to turn off the motorway when I should. While discussing sat navs, just a reminder if you drive in France, speed camera warnings are illegal... even the ones disguised as "danger areas". Fine is up to 1500 euros and they can confiscate the car. I have removed all camera warnings from all my devices.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts
About this Discussion
28 Replies
16 Participants
Biggles
Speak EV - Electric Car Forums
A community for enthusiasts of all makes and models of EV from BMW to Tesla, Renault, Nissan, Mitsubishi and more. Join the electrifying discussion today!
Full Forum Listing