Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
2,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it me, or does the satnav display fail to dim at night?
It seems far too bright and, what with automatic light functions, I expected it to automatically dim in low light situations. Failing that, I thought that I would find a way to manually switch to a "night" setting like the old fashionned freestanding satnavs have. Cannot locate such a thing.
Can anyone help?

·
Registered
ID.3 1st
415 Posts
There's a setting within the navigation system itself, either a cog icon or some other option on the map display - it has day/night/auto modes.

Reactions: Trapdoor

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
2,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There's a setting within the navigation system itself, either a cog icon or some other option on the map display - it has day/night/auto modes.
Still couldn't find it yesterday. Will try again today.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I've not seen an auto-dimming setting, but I have mine set to dark mode permanently so it's less of an issue. I also only use Google Maps or Waze, which are leagues ahead of the built-in satnav & worth trying out if you haven't already. They both have automatic night mode.

·
Registered
VW ID.3 Tour, Stonewashed Blue
43 Posts
Still couldn't find it yesterday. Will try again today.
You should be able to get it through the black circular icon with 3 white lines through it - near the bottom left of the map screen - as in the pics attached. (Might need to move your finger close to the map screen for it to appear there.)

·
Registered
ID.3 1st
415 Posts
You should be able to get it through the black circular icon with 3 white lines through it - near the bottom left of the map screen - as in the pics attached. (Might need to move your finger close to the map screen for it to appear there.)

View attachment 149450
Yep, knew it was on the map screen 👍

Reactions: Neil999

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
2,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

View attachment 149450
Thank you for your detailed reply Niel999!

I've fixed it now. Frankly I would never have found that without your help. I was plugging away at the cog-wheel symbols, of course. Three lines that vanish after a few seconds- how user friendly!

Still that's it set up forever now and it doesn't matter if I forget how to do it!

Great relief. Many thanks!

·
Registered
VW ID.3 Tour, Stonewashed Blue
43 Posts
Thank you for your detailed reply Niel999!
No worries - it's another example of the currently patchy UI navigation design I think (hopefully to get tidied in future updates). The intention is good to keep the map screen uncluttered, but having the menu option only pop up when your finger hovers over the map just hides it away - and it would have been logical to have it on the "cog" menu as well, given that's where most people would look first.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts