Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another set of questions from me as I use my one month hire to evaluate the car.

Satnav zoom level - I can use the single and two finger double taps to zoom in and out, and if I am very lucky the system will continue to move the map and keep the car centred. However fairly soon the system will resume zooming the map in and out as the whim takes it. How do I lock the zoom level at my chosen setting?

Satnav points of interest and other text cruft - I have all point of interest turned off, so none should display. Despite this the map is littered with unwanted business names when zoomed in, and also at most zoom levels shows the location of every Shell petrol station (which do not have chargers). The vertical line representation of the route, on the right hand side of the display, also shows Shell petrol stations and other random knife and fork symbols, McDonalds, and other symbols too intricate to read. How to I get rid of this cruft?

Satnav unable to recognise many postcodes - Is there a special way of entering postcodes into the satnav’s search field? I am finding it is unable to find about half of my destination postcodes, many of which are long established locations where the code has not changed in decades. I have tried putting a space character between the two groups of characters, but this makes no difference.

Distance to traffic congestion or incidents - the vertical line representation of the route on the right of the display shows traffic incidents and conditions ahead. How do I find out how far away these are? If I expand the right hand display it will tell me the delay resulting from each traffic situation, but does not give any indication of how far away it is. If I expand the satnav section of the display in front of the driver, it will show time (but not distance) to only the next event in its timeline, but this is almost always an unwanted cafe.

Unwanted route loading - when I reach the destination of a route on the satnav, it immediately loads and activates a route to my home location. This is often accompanied by the display of a red battery symbol at the top of the line representation on the right of the screen, presumably warning me that I may not have sufficient range to complete this unwanted journey. Why does it load this route, and how do I stop it doing it? More generally, the red battery warning symbol seems like a good idea, but does anyone know what criteria the system is using in showing this warning. It is not always route distance > range, so presumably it is based on battery state at destination less than some unspecified percentage.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Google via CarPlay for me all the time. I trust Google’s traffic / route updating more than what’s on the car…

·
Registered
ID.3 1st
429 Posts
My “solution” is equivalent to the one above I’m afraid, Apple Maps via CarPlay.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I wonder why manufacturers include satnav now - very few people I know with car play who use the main nav….

·
Registered
14 Posts
If you are in an area with weak cell, the in car navi works better. It also has promise in that it knows the car soc and gom, which makes it possible (in theory) to do better routing.

·
Registered
480 Posts
You’re right. But for (all?) journeys I make the most important factor for the route - and decisions there after is the traffic. Of which google maps - with all the millions of other devices using google maps reporting back to google mothership (etc..) - is from my experience easily the best… I’d wager that some sort of EV function is on the horizon for them.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Google via CarPlay for me all the time. I trust Google’s traffic / route updating more than what’s on the car…
Does Google Maps now allow for route planning based on the range of the car? Or are you using it in combination with something else?

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Apple Maps + following road signs that say "Services" when I need to charge before getting to my destination. Don't care about SOC until it warns me at 20%.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts