Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Outlander
4,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The satnav seems to need a descriptive address (house number, road name, town) with postcode left hidden.

I have bad experiences with these types of satnavs. Some UK cities have multiple roads with the same name, which I discovered the hard way after a satnav completed my journey and left me wondering how someone could have intentionally given a 'wrong' address?! :(

Random example courtesy of Royal Mail address search:
  • 1 Bournemouth Road, London, SW19 3AR
  • 1 Bournemouth Road, London, SE15 4BH
Which one would an Ampera direct you to? Does it inform you of clashes? How would you know if you are heading to the wrong one? Do any of the updates add a postcode lookup?

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,543 Posts
From memory, you need to select a postcode within the search. I had this in Edinburgh when trying to enter an address, you had to put the postcode in before the street name. So, in your case, I think it would be London then SW19 then Bournemouth Road then 1 (if it was the first one you wanted.

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
Unless you've got the super-rare 2015 Ampera, you're stuck wih 5 alphanum postcode searches if you select the "choose by postcode" option! So you'd enter SW193 at which point it asks you to select the name of the road. Helpfully it highlights all te allowable forst letters, but there's usually a shed-load of these! So if all you have is a 7 alphanum postcode for say a shop, and you don't know the street it's on, you're generally stuffed. So I run 2 satnavs in mine, especially as I like taking the shortest route in many cases, and Ampy built-in satnav refuses to believe C roads exist until you're actually on them!

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,543 Posts
I knew there was another 'quirk' of the SatNav. I did once have it try to direct me down a farm trail with long grass growing up the centre of the lane when the road ahead was closed but I knew another diversion that I was going to take. Edited to add the image of the road.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Save all the trouble with the out of date Ampera SatNav - buy a Positiv, no satnav ;) use whatever you want.

I have a Garmin as it happens , Phone works well too.

·
Registered
Outlander
4,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I have a Garmin as it happens , Phone works well too.
Do you hook satnav up to the audio/hands-free system?

I found an Ampera Infotainment manual online, and separately read that European Amperas do not support Bluetooth. Can someone please clarify this?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Bluetooth works for hands free phone use but there is no display system for android or carplay, its probably older than these systems.
Mine is just a stand alone system fixed on the windscreen :)
Does what I need.

·
Registered
Outlander
4,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One alternative to 3.5mm aux cables might be plugging into a 12V socket a Bluetooth receiver to FM transmitter (apparently they can work with Siri for driving directions, etc.) - although I do not know how to identify a good one and no idea if the Ampera's own hands-free system would still manage phone calls.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Unless you've got the super-rare 2015 Ampera, you're stuck wih 5 alphanum postcode searches if you select the "choose by postcode" option! So you'd enter SW193 at which point it asks you to select the name of the road. Helpfully it highlights all te allowable forst letters, but there's usually a shed-load of these! So if all you have is a 7 alphanum postcode for say a shop, and you don't know the street it's on, you're generally stuffed. So I run 2 satnavs in mine, especially as I like taking the shortest route in many cases, and Ampy built-in satnav refuses to believe C roads exist until you're actually on them!
Surely nearly everyone has a smartphone in a dash holder with google maps available?

·
Registered
Outlander
4,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Surely nearly everyone has a smartphone in a dash holder with google maps available?
Some of us dislike clutter :)

One option is to push all wires and peripherals into the dash glove box.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts