Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My satnav is 2013-4.
I have not yet been offereed an upgrade - I thought I might at the annual service but - no.
From earlier threads it appears they can be obtained for exhorbinate prices.
I would be glad to get any info or advice about this, please.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Jack £179 + £5 delivery for the whole of Europe - only option.
I won't go far from Midlands and West Country UK n my Leaf so it sounds expensive for my need -
TomTom brand new is better value and can include unlimited free map upgrades.
I guess the existing system will continue to show charging stations so maybe I should just consider using a TomTom for route guidance.

·
Registered
516 Posts
We should start a group buy. Have done on other cars. Once we have 10 or more people it's much cheaper and I guess you could overwrite the existing SD card?

·
9,719 Posts
LEAF uses uniquely coded SD cards, you might be able to clone them but they are written for specific VINs. I doubt you'd get much discount for bulk, its not like other systems where maps can be loaded and you just need a VIN unlock code.

·
Lettuce Leaf early to be sure of arriving on time.
903 Posts
Just ordered the latest satnav upgrade which is December 2018. Cost £119 + £5.83 shipping. Not the finest value in the world, but I got bored with (apparently) driving through fields. https://nissan.navigation.com

To place an order you need to quote the 8-digit serial number from your existing satnav. Presumably this ties the upgrade to the car. To find it you hit i for Info on the main screen, then Navigation Version.

Mine (Leaf 30 2016) was 2014-5. As it was probably the best part of five years old, I thought it would be good to upgrade to one that the cynic in me says is probably the best part of two years old.

I shall be interested in the installation process.

(If this has been covered elsewhere, I apologise. I searched the forum but couldn't find it.)

·
Lettuce Leaf early to be sure of arriving on time.
903 Posts
OK, that was interesting. I have some tips, should anyone else care to do the same.

1. Open the envelope. DO NOT THROW AWAY THE DELIVERY NOTE WITH THE SECRET CODE ON IT!

2. Don't have the car plugged in when you do the upgrade (as I did): if you do, it will switch itself off automatically after a few minutes, and the instructions are full of dire warnings about not switching off the car during the process. Get in, with the whole kit - including the delivery note with the secret code on it - and switch on.

3. The hole for the SD card is behind the satnav screen. Open the unit as if you were putting in a CD (remember them?); there are two pictures warning you not to monkey with the tilting screen, and to the right of them is a black socket, invisibly marked MAP. Prise it open: if you need a screwdriver to do that, as I did, be careful not to let it scratch the screen (which is now lying flat).

4. Follow the instructions (pic attached) as best you can. The first one says 'Turn the power switch to the OFF position'. I think that means turn the car off: that's what I did and it seemed to work. When you turn the car off the screen will automatically close itself, leaving you no way to access the SD card slot. Prevent it from doing so. (If you think this disobeys the two little warning pictures saying don't monkey with it, then I leave you to decide how to proceed!)

5. The second and third are 'Open the lid of the SD map insertion slot and remove the old memory card map' and 'Insert the provided SD memory card with the new map'. Do that, but DO NOT REPLACE THE SLOT COVER YET. Oh, no: you're going to be in and out of there a good few more times before you're done. (If you ever had an old-style Atari or Amiga with a single floppy disk drive, you'll know what disk-swapping is all about. This is like that.)

6. Follow the instructions. Swap the SD cards around as instructed. Push the card inwards to release it and it will pop out just enough for you to break your fingernails abstracting it.

7. When you are asked to key in the 'Active key' (step 9) find the delivery note with the secret code on it. Key in the secret code: it's 16 digits after the phrase ACT_CODE =, but DO NOT PRESS OK.

8. Check back carefully that you have keyed in the right digits. (Perhaps get your mum to check it for you.) All good? Now you can press OK. And now you can put back the slot cover, and press TILT to get the screen back to its right place.

You are now the proud owner of an updated satnav, and also of an SD card that you can use for something else after you have formatted it. Now go out on the new bypass and see if it still shows you in a field. Good luck.

You're welcome.

satnav.jpg satnav2.jpg

·
Registered
96 Posts
keep considering this but frustrated you cant buy a life time maps upgrade option or ota type upgrading. I think I will be making a holder for my 10 inch nexus tablet (old one) and use up to date google maps instead.

·
Registered
74 Posts
LettuceLeaf-

When I bought my leaf in April, part of the deal I made was a free upgrade to the latest maps. I checked and my maps are 2014 vintage as well, which means they were probably compiled at the end of 2013, nearly seven years ago. That is unacceptable.
I took my car in for the upgrade a couple of months ago and they told me there was no upgrade available. I had my doubts as to the veracity of that claim, but they insisted it was correct. Maybe it's time for me to contact trading standards?

I have just sent the dealer, Westover Nissan Bournemouth, an email quoting your post. Will they still try and give me porky pies again I wonder?

Tony.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
If your car is after April/May 2016 then i believe you can request the update for free on Leaf. I cant as mine is before that :(
Also the last i heard was that the base maps were still 2016/17 on the new SD cards so no use to me as the new bypass near me still doesn't show...

The best you can hope for is a good phone mount and to use Waze/Googlemaps instead.

·
Registered
74 Posts
If your car is after April/May 2016 then i believe you can request the update for free on Leaf. I cant as mine is before that :(
Also the last i heard was that the base maps were still 2016/17 on the new SD cards so no use to me as the new bypass near me still doesn't show...

The best you can hope for is a good phone mount and to use Waze/Googlemaps instead.
Kingpleb---
I just looked at my V5C and the first registration was 29th July 2016.

If what you say about the free update is true maybe that was why they were so quick to agree to my condition of purchase at the point of sale. I also had two other conditions before I signed on the bottom line, they install the 6kw charger in my garage completely free of charge (it is 100mtrs from the entry point of my mains input meter box and I knew they would add an arm and a leg extra for it-digging up the garden etc.) and assist me with getting homgolation for my tow-hitch. I haven't done much yet about the tow-hitch, I'm waiting for Winter when I won't be using the leaf that much.
Cheers, Tony.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I cant find it now but i have posted it elsewhere on here and its advertised on the nissan site somewhere. I tried it but my car wasn't eligible due to age :(

·
Registered
96 Posts
assist me with getting homgolation for my tow-hitch
Will be interested in this when you get through with it. I have a 2011 leaf but i'm thinking the differences will be negligible. Emile at Muxsan has already got an aftermarket tow hitch on his "Ultraleaf" 2011, but he is in the Netherlands.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Annoyingly at one of the nissan factories there are automated leaf's that drive around a set pattern dragging heavy trailers of parts and such and only go back when they need a charge but the trailers i've seen them tow were certainly going to be over the 750kg unbraked limit...

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Its nothing to do with physical capability. The Nissan Pulsar built on the same platform can tow 1200kgs. Its simply that models require individual approval for towing, which costs money. Manufacturers often choose not to submit certain models for approval if they deem it "not a big issue".

For instance my folks have a 2004 Audi S4 which is not approved for towing, despite the chassis being identical to the rest of the A4 range and it being the most powerful model with the largest brakes etc. Someone at Audi decided they could save some money not approving it, because they decided folk buying the top model wouldnt want to tow with it. They must have had some kickback as the 2005-2008 facelift model DID get approved. The 2001 RS4 was similarly not approved for towing, despite again, identical chassis etc.

In Nissans case, its probably in part being a bit conservative with the drivetrain, and in part deciding not many folk would want to tow and thus saving the money. Plus ofcourse, towing would serious hammer the already limited range. Clearly, it would be fine towing a wee trailer to the tip or whatever, but its very much an edge case.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Its nothing to do with physical capability. The Nissan Pulsar built on the same platform can tow 1200kgs. Its simply that models require individual approval for towing, which costs money. Manufacturers often choose not to submit certain models for approval if they deem it "not a big issue".

For instance my folks have a 2004 Audi S4 which is not approved for towing, despite the chassis being identical to the rest of the A4 range and it being the most powerful model with the largest brakes etc. Someone at Audi decided they could save some money not approving it, because they decided folk buying the top model wouldnt want to tow with it. They must have had some kickback as the 2005-2008 facelift model DID get approved. The 2001 RS4 was similarly not approved for towing, despite again, identical chassis etc.

In Nissans case, its probably in part being a bit conservative with the drivetrain, and in part deciding not many folk would want to tow and thus saving the money. Plus ofcourse, towing would serious hammer the already limited range. Clearly, it would be fine towing a wee trailer to the tip or whatever, but its very much an edge case.
Kingpleb, Whereswally and Aragorn,

With regards to the tow-hitch approval, the hardware is out there. In the US and some EU countries it is type approved, it makes you wonder what Nissan's game is.
I have been in touch with the authorities here and have had some encouraging responses for individual vehicles. Once a single Leaf has been approved, it is very easy to get others through.
I still (half) own a leisure trailer factory in Western Australia. Their rules are based on the UK model and I have spent many hours getting individual vehicles and trailers through that system, it isn't as hard as many on here would have people believe. You just need persistence, and if you get the wrong answer from the first person, hang up and speak to the next, they very often interpret the rules differently. This technique works with all sorts of government departments world-wide. I am at present engaged with the French authorities over a Trelgo trailer, persistence pays off.

I'm not too worried about towing a trailer, it's my bike rack that I require on the Leaf.

Here is the transcript of emails sent to the UK authorities; read it from the bottom up for the correct timeline.

Good afternoon,

As I said if they are type approved that is all the evidence you require.

Regards

Philip Harrison

Heavy Vehicle Technical Officer.
Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency | Ellipse, Padley Road, Swansea, SA1 8AN
Phone: 01792454206, Fax 01792 454387
I am obliged to emphasise that this advice is the view of DVSA and is not intended to be an interpretation of the law;
Only a court of law is able to give a legal, definitive interpretation

Find out more about government services at www.gov.uk/dvsa

-----Original Message-----
Sent: 16 May 2019 13:02
To: Technical Officers <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: Nissan Leaf

Mr Harrison-

Thanks again for the quick reply.

To confirm, It will be acceptable for me to fit a tow-hitch, as long as I do not tow any sort of trailer with it?

My bike rack will be acceptable to the department.

This is just so I will be ok for the MOT and my insurance company, they will want this in writing from you.

An email response is ok.

Thank you again for your assistance.

Tony Brown.

Sent from linux desktop computer
On 16/05/2019 12:48, Technical Officers wrote:

Good afternoon,

If the vehicle does not have a train weight it can't tow a trailer in the UK. You could fit the bike rack using the bracket but not for towing any trailer.

Regards

Philip Harrison

Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency | Ellipse, Padley Road, Swansea,
SA1 8AN
I am obliged to emphasise that this advice is the view of DVSA and is
not intended to be an interpretation of the law; Only a court of law
is able to give a legal, definitive interpretation

Sent: 16 May 2019 12:45
Subject: Re: Nissan Leaf

Mr. Harrison- Thank you for your very fast response.

Please advise how do I go about getting approval for my bicycle rack? The Thule 916 has lights and a number plate housing on board.

It fits onto a standard 50mm towball.

There is type approval for the USA, Canada and Norway, as well as some EU countries.

See here:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/352002065456?ul_noapp=true

and here:

https://www.amazon.com/CURT-11396-Class-Trailer-Hitch/dp/B00KB6YF3G#HL
CXComparisonWidget_feature_div

It can't be that hard for the UK. In Japan they even use the leaf to tow a train of cars around a test track for driverless vehicles.

Nobody is likely to be towing a caravan or a car carrying trailer with
a leaf, the battery drain would prohibit that sort of use, so it can
only be for bike racks or tiny

trailers, anything else would just not be possible.

All I want is to take my bike to the New Forest now and again when the weather is good.

Tony Brown.

On 16/05/2019 12:08, Technical Officers wrote:

Good morning Tony,

The IVA process is purely for vehicles that are not registered. Once a vehicle has been registered this process is no longer available. Tow bars can only be fitted if they are type approved and the vehicle has a towing capacity. The VIN plate will show whether or not the vehicle was provided with towing capacity. If you look at the vin plate it should have 4 weights on.
Gross vehicle weight
Train weight
Axle 1 weight
Axle 2 weight

If the train weight is not allocated the vehicle was never designed for towing.
I have not been able to find any specifications showing a train weight and if the vehicle is electric powered I very much doubt it can tow.

Regards

Philip Harrison

Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency | Ellipse, Padley Road, Swansea,
SA1 8AN
I am obliged to emphasise that this advice is the view of DVSA and is
not intended to be an interpretation of the law; Only a court of law
is able to give a legal, definitive interpretation

Sent: 16 May 2019 11:51
Subject: Nissan Leaf

I just spoke to a very helpful chap at your dept. called Chris who
said I need confirmation in writing from yourselves that an IVA type
approval

is not required for the fitting of a tow-hitch to a Nissan Leaf for
towing a small (450kg or less) trailer or a Thule type bicycle rack,
provided that lights and number

plate are visible. Could you please confirm this for me in writing for my insurance company? An email reply is fine.

Many thanks, Tony Brown.

[email protected]

--

·
Registered
96 Posts
So it sounds like you got an ok for a tow hitch mounted bike rack but not for a trailer from the DVSA. Not sure id have even asked them about a bike rack as I've been putting them on the back of my cars for years without telling the insurance company, as has everyone else albeit the ones with straps where is the line drawn on that one?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Whereswally60-
I wouldn't even go there! The Bones 2 I have until I can get the tow-hitch sorted seems to be fairly stable, but with my 26kg e-bike I really only want to carry the single bike on it, and I tend to drive like an old lady with one eye on the rear mirror. I avoid potholes and road humps as much possible, and use eco mode to slow me down, and still have a nasty nagging sensation in the back of my neck.
I feel so much safer with the towball mounted bike rack, I did 4500 miles in one trip round Europe with the Thule rack without a single issue (until a mad Frenchman wrote off my new Juke in the wilds of Normandy-but that's another story).

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
I use google maps on my phone. Its free - gives traffic status - updates regular. Nissan can take a jump if they think I am paying for their maps. That would be my advice for anyone needing a map upgrade.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
With regard to the screen closing when you switch the car off, just press the open button on the screen when the car is switched off, it’ll open again.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts