Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am surprised and disappointed that google maps satnav doesn't have any preference to choose path based upon efficiency/economy/green route/terrain.

I have a few ways to get to my local town, and I am certain that one route with a lot of hills is a lot less 'green' and will only increase MPG or watt hours per mile, despite it being a bit shorter in total miles.

And all this despite google having, from what I'm aware, terrain information.

Anyone know of any app or plan to add this?

Thanks.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I know TomTom takes terrain elevation when estimating consumption (see Zoe 1st generation). Sadly, it doesn’t take into account regeneration, only consumption, so the estimates are awfully pessimistic.

Other than that i will try today Ze50 built in navigation, which has eco, avoid motorway, fastest, shortest.

I’m hoping Apple Maps, in their October iteration, to include different driving modes, as it seems the app will cater to EV drivers.

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
121 Posts
Another for ABRP and if your car supports it, get an OBD Dongle and something like EV Notify for even more accuracy.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It doesn't seem to work. There's two routes I know I can take and one has some huge hills, and the other one almost completely flat. It suggested the hill one?

·
Registered
Peugeot e-208
389 Posts
How do the two routes compare in the real world from 100% SoC vs ABRP's calculations? Would be a good test.

·
Registered
503 Posts
It doesn't seem to work. There's two routes I know I can take and one has some huge hills, and the other one almost completely flat. It suggested the hill one?
Since EVs have the ability to recuperate energy, it may be that the hilly route, while seemingly uneconomical, could be shorter overall, leading to less consumption? In an ICE you don't get back the gasoline you just spent, so a flatter route would probably help with the economy, but in an EV, sometimes a hilly, but shorter/less eventful route may be the way to go.

From 5 years experience, no route planner can accommodate for the mood of the driver, the amount of lead in the boots or sudden road closures/traffic jams (running the AC/heating while stationary). And even if a route planner can be 10-15% percent less accurate than real life (which is a good planner), I believe most of us do develop after a sense of the vehicle's characteristics.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
hills arent necessarily bad, even in a petrol car. What goes up must come down. You get back all the energy you put into going up, and as for the ICE running higher load on the uphill stretches can actually improve efficiency. You probably dont get that in an EV, but you get regen instead where the ICE might need brakes.
I would ofcourse suggest you simply try it, but if the non hilly route is longer its very likely the increased distance is a bigger factor than some hills.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,262 Posts
Well, I think what @Aragorn is saying: is that hills are generally irrelevant on a trip. Also, the normal presumption is that on a return trip, following the same route, it will all even out.

I do believe that the same rules apply to driving an EV, you only need to consider fastest and shortest routes. That choice will have a much bigger impact on your efficiency than hills.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
That ignores losses.
well that depends where it goes ofcourse. There are always losses, If your having to regen that energy, then your going to lose some. But if instead of regen you end up running at +50kw on the way up and +10kw on the way down, there wont be anything lost to regen.

·
Registered
Kona PremSe64k 2020+bluelink +ohme
527 Posts
I've found abrp an education in planning. Messing round with SOC min and max etc gives me real confidence in what to expect on a given long journey. All that matters with hills is enough charge and safety margin to get up. Then regen can be a wonderful experience, especially in a car with good regen.
hills arent necessarily bad, even in a petrol car. What goes up must come down. You get back all the energy you put into going up, and as for the ICE running higher load on the uphill stretches can actually improve efficiency. You probably dont get that in an EV, but you get regen instead where the ICE might need brakes.
I would ofcourse suggest you simply try it, but if the non hilly route is longer its very likely the increased distance is a bigger factor than some hills.
According to the RAC going uphill in a petrol car destroys (their word) fuel efficiency.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
According to the RAC going uphill in a petrol car destroys (their word) fuel efficiency.
its one of those "it depends" situations.

Yes, going up hill uses more fuel.

But a typical ICE has a BSFC curve which peaks somewhere pretty close to wide open throttle at peak torque. That means if you go from needing 30hp to needing 60hp, at the same RPM point and gear, the engine will produce 60hp more efficiently than it will 30hp. So yes, it uses more fuel as its making twice the power. But it doesnt use twice the fuel.

This is what you might expect to see for a petrol engine.

note what happens if you go from 30nm to 60nm while maintaining 2000rpm...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts