Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone heard any more from Nissan about sat-nav updates (gen.1)

They have launched their care-ev program to provide a better "safety net" for ev drivers, yet more up to date maps could prevent some pain/failures by not providing invalid routes (I got hit by hindhead tunnel a year or so ago)

·
Registered
991 Posts
Not yet got my Leaf but won't be relying on the built-in nav. I've never found a factory-fit system that is anywhere near as useful as the best of the portable nav systems, or better still, an app on my phone. They always lag behind in features and interface/usability. When an app on a phone gets free regular map updates it sees mad that factory-fit ones have such infrequent updates which can cost hundreds!

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
I really like the leaf sat nav, its one of the better ones that I have seen in cars, its range aware which is critical in an EV and it gets updates on new charging stations so really cant ask for more

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I like the actual sat nav. The instructions and visuals are clear, and finding a location is fairly easy (google app built in would still be better). The traffic redirect does work

BUT it's so dependent on the data. My maps were published 2010. It's now 2014. SOme builds from 2003 are not in the maps! But also there's been significant road changes in some places - especially with major roads this can involve MILES extra in a journey if unaware - take for example the A3 hindhead bypass.

So my point is that Nissan need to see the availability of up to date data as crucial to the success of EVs. I think the idea of the care package is a sound one, but a further point is that more up to date mapping information could prevent some of those excursions into panic/low power in the first place!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts