Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Eniro 4+
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Scenario...
Smart cruise on, travelling in a 60, 60 displayed on the nav screen as sign is recognised by the camera.
You pass a 40 sign, nav screen now displays 40 as new sign is recognised by the camera.

Should the car slow to 40mph automatically?
Or is it not that clever?
Can this be set in the menus somewhere?
I have searched the manual but it's enormous!

·
Registered
441 Posts
Is it actually recognising signs or is it going by preprogrammed speed limits stored on the map?

Sent using Tapatalk (I'm on my phone so sorry for any auto correct screwups)

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
1,587 Posts
Scenario...
Smart cruise on, travelling in a 60, 60 displayed on the nav screen as sign is recognised by the camera.
You pass a 40 sign, nav screen now displays 40 as new sign is recognised by the camera.

Don't give the powers that be ideas. If that technology was implemented, they could regulate road speeds on the fly and do it regardless of whether the ACC was active or not.
Not a bad thing you might say when there is fog, or an accident ahead.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
Tesla does this (in some cases - when leaving controlled access roads for normal ones), and most cars’ intelligent speed limiters can auto-set to the detected limit (with driver approval).

Speed sign recognition is still a bit sh*t though, so I wouldn’t trust it.

·
Registered
Kia e-niro 4
51 Posts
I've had it read some odd numbers from places. Think it thought the speed limit was 97 on one road I was on! That would check if I was paying attention with cruise control on!

·
Registered
E-Niro 64kWh '4' since 9/20 (was Prius)
918 Posts
Scenario...

Ha, I wish! Even though it knows full well that you’re breaking the speed limit, it doesn’t even warn you with a bong or a flashing light! Let alone actually slow down the car (On my 4 anyway). I had wondered if it might be improved on the 4+ but I’ve not seen anyone say it has been. Really useless IMO.
Peter

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20, Zoe Z.E.50 GT Line
1,058 Posts
My experience on the 4 is the data comes from the nav, certainly it's tied in to the head unit because when that fails to boot properly on the flaky pre-purple firmware the speed limit indicator doesn't work. I've also never had it mis-read a sign, which my Yaris does from time to time - though MatthewSt has, which is interesting. For me the dead giveaway is my Toyota reads 5 and 10 from car park signs, and then thinks you're speeding when you leave the car park, but the Kia does not. It also doesn't recognise the relative recent 20 limit on some residential streets.

Regardless the Kia system is a complete waste of time imho because it doesn't provide any warning... despite that word literally being in the name of the system. The bing I get in the Toyota when exceeding what it reckons is the limit can be irritating, but it's helpful. Our Skoda could bong at you when exceeding 30. My wife found that really helpful when driving through villages. That the Kia can do nothing to warn you about speed is... piss poor.

It is supposed to be different between the 4 and 4+. System has a different name and I believe the 4+ does use the camera to recognise signs. No idea if it provides any warning and is therefore any actual use.

·
Registered
571 Posts
The e-Niro will sound a warning if you exceed the speed limiter setting.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro MY20 64 kWh - Gravity Blue
655 Posts
My e-Niro is not the most expensive version there is in Spain, but it does recognise signs using the camera. E.g. it'll show the speed limit that is set by temporary signs during road works. I actually like it that it doesn't bong and that instead it allows me to check the limit should I have missed a sign. Let's not forget these are driving assistants. We still do the driving ourselves.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20, Zoe Z.E.50 GT Line
1,058 Posts
My e-Niro is not the most expensive version there is in Spain, but it does recognise signs using the camera. E.g. it'll show the speed limit that is set by temporary signs during road works. I actually like it that it doesn't bong and that instead it allows me to check the limit should I have missed a sign. Let's not forget these are driving assistants. We still do the driving ourselves.
Must vary by country. I've done enough testing to be confident my e-Niro 4 does not recognise signs.

Each to their own. I do want a noise, or some visual indication... some sort of ... you know, warning... .from this "warning" system.

As mentioned, the system in my Toyota Yaris can be irritating with it's noise if it thinks the speed limit is much lower than it actually is, because it does read signs, however you have the choice. Don't like the noise, turn it off and there's only a discrete visual indication. With the Kia there's nothing. No noise, no visual indication. It serves as a useful reminder of what the speed limit (probably) is but that's all. I only take issue with something being called a "warning" system when it isn't.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro MY20 64 kWh - Gravity Blue
655 Posts
As mentioned, the system in my Toyota Yaris can be irritating with it's noise if it thinks the speed limit is much lower than it actually is, because it does read signs, however you have the choice. Don't like the noise, turn it off and there's only a discrete visual indication. With the Kia there's nothing.
Agree it would be nice to have the option for a warning sound. It does bong when there's a camera alert so maybe it encourages you to only heed speed limits if there's a chance to get caught ;)

·
Registered
E-Niro 64kWh '4' since 9/20 (was Prius)
918 Posts
I have a handy app on my iPhone which knows all the speed limits and sounds an alert if you exceed. You can change the threshold over from 0 to 5 mph. I often use it when I’m not using nav on my phone. It works well. I’ve used it over a year (Since I got nabbed in fact 🤬 did speed awareness course in 2019). It’s oh so easy to accidentally exceed the speed limit with EVs or hybrids. Especially so when in unfamiliar areas!!

It does exactly what the software in my new E-Niro car should flipping do!!
Peter

·
Registered
73 Posts
My PHEV has the speed sign recognition and it does work quite well but can be fooled sometimes. Near me there used to be a 50km/h sign coming into a village, quite a long way back, too long in fact. So, they changed it to 60km/h for the first bit and then 50km/h when you got a bit closer. The problem is they put the new 60km/h sign very slightly before where the old 50km/h sign was, so the system very cleverly detects the new 60km/h sign and displays it but then about 5 seconds later the satnav recognises where the old 50km/h limit started and changes the display back to 50km/h :)

·
Registered
Kia Eniro 4+
332 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts