Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

If you are using SCC and driving at motorway speeds (or even city speeds) with no traffic in front of you, but in the distance there is stationary traffic, will SCC correctly slow down and stop as you approach or does it require a car in front of you?

Thanks

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
1,846 Posts
If it is anything like my GTE, no. SCC is only at speed and manages moving objects.

But if your car has AEB, that should take care of things.

The problem is that both don't work very well together, e.g. at high speeds AEB is disabled, as it can be dangerous.

It is not a good explanation, but go to YouTube, and search for eNiro2020svk. He has a video demonstration of SCC, FCA and AEB. Although, I think some terms are confused.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
As above, SCC is mainly about keeping a safe distance from a moving vehicle in front and once locked on, it works pretty well in practice. With no such moving vehicle in front, the system is blind until it detects an object in the way. Relying on it detecting a stationary or very slow moving vehicle is very unnerving and you’ll be hoping that the collision avoidance systems (FCW & FCA) do their jobs instead.

In my experience, you’ll see the traffic ahead before the car does and you’ll be off the gas much earlier to roll to a more gradual stop.

When I’m approaching stationary traffic on a fast road, I like to slow right down with a very long gap to allow time to assess the speed of following traffic. That way, if the guy behind isn’t paying attention, I can always move forward again to avoid being hit from behind. If the car did use its systems, it’d park you up to form the crash protection for everyone else in the queue in front of you (n)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Certainly at city speeds it will 'see' stationary traffic early enough to slowly you down steadily at 70 mph the emergency braking might kick in first.

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,213 Posts
I wouldn't assume it would. The Leaf gave the impression even at 50 mph it would tank into the back of stopped traffic if it wasn't following someone else that had seen it first.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all, that is what I expected - while there is a car in front it'll do it's job, but otherwise better to do it yourself!

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
1,846 Posts
Thanks all, that is what I expected - while there is a car in front it'll do it's job, but otherwise better to do it yourself!
It is always better to do it yourself, but both systems are supposed to work together better and only to help/assist your driving.

I can't complain from the AEB. In 4 years, it has saved my ... insurance premiums twice! My suggestion would be to understand what the two systems do and how they do it. As any system, you need to learn how to use it in the best way possible, and then you can relax.

·
Registered
233 Posts
My Ioniq is pretty good at at picking up a single cyclist from quite a distance when there are now other vehicles in view. How do I know this, it brakes fairly harshly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts