Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in South Shields on various bits of business one of which was trying to recce potential charging points and traffic avoidance routes ahead of the Great North Run. It's a historic town with a Roman Fort not especially pretty but I found this pleasant location (Pierhead car park) overlooking a sandy beach facing Tynemouth Priory and the Collingwood Monument. It's actually adjoining what I believe to be the Herd Sands which combined with Black Midden Rocks over North Shields were notorious wrecking grounds for sailing ships trying to get over the Tyne Bar before the piers were built. You should get to see some aerial shots of the car park on TV coverage f the North Run this Sunday.

Just wondered whether we could start sharing photos of scenic or interesting charging locations worth a visit.
image.jpg

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Lots of national trust places have charge points - they're normally pretty nice

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
image.jpg
There is still I think a need to counter the negative views with more positive illustrations of successful EV charging infrastructure so here is another location which I have never seen ICE'd even though it occupies the prime position at entrance to popular Blue Reef Aquarium and Tynemouth/Cullercoats beaches.
image.jpg
It is located just south of the church spire, a coastal landmark on the remote view of Tynemouth Abbey on horizon from the North.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Best M'way services has to be Gloucester. Run by same people as Tebay. If Carlsberg did motorway services....

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks guys have you any photos of them ( worth a thousand words and all that)
Anyway here is another NE icon, The Spanish City (a listed building cited by Sting and Dire Straits ) framed between two deserted charging points. Actually that Green ( Whitley Bay links) is used for some big crowd events, shows, international dance festivals etc so I suppose that car park gets well used at times.

image.jpg

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Portrush BT56 8AY/@55.2107905,-6.6562603,3a,75y,66.98h,77.56t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sLafdKV04WbBMDoYkYL8D2w!2e0!4m2!3m1!1s0x48602432ba876ba3:0x347f2e29e51bd02a?hl=en
This is the google streetview location of one of the Portrush chargers on the North coast,one of the resort towns in the area of the Giant's Causeway..They have a 2 day free Airshow this time each year..roadtrip! (have found the streetview pics to be a couple of years old in some cases,predating the charger instalations..I took the ebike along the last time I was here and recall biking through here..don't recall seeing a charger last time either..will see!) Was at the airshow today,and the town was so overcrowded with cars,it must have been a mile out of the centre where I managed to get parked-as well I brought the ebike along to get around! I didn't get to find this charger..that area was closed to traffic for the duration..A garage on the way out of town has a rapid charger which I eyeballed biking past when returning to the car..
I haven't taken many photos of Charger surroundings as yet,but Enniskillen is an Island town surrounded by a natural moat in the River Erne passing between the upper and Lower Loughs..Quite picturesque..the 5 car parks in town with the ECar public chargers are close to the water,and there are walks and little parks dotted around close by..there are Jetties all around the perimeter of the town where cruisers can tie up near a Pub or Hotel,go shopping,and even visit the local Theatre!

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was in South Shields on various bits of business one of which was trying to recce potential charging points and traffic avoidance routes ahead of the Great North Run.
This only place I could find to post this but see if you can spot the Leaf blocking the Great North Run route, fortunately the police got it moved just before the start of the race.

image.jpg

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
image.jpg
This only place I could find to post this but see if you can spot the Leaf blocking the Great North Run route, fortunately the police got it moved just before the start of the race.
To integrate this post with the thread I attach photo of chargers used. With time running out to get my daughter to the start line and city centre traffic gridlocked with unusual Sunday morning congestion I switched to Plan B and used the Discovery Museum site. On the walk up to the start line runners were jumping out of cars stuck in traffic and walking back to the car 20 minutes after the tail end of the race had gone through we passed delayed runners sprinting through city streets desperately trying to get to the start line to get their chips registered for the T shirt.
Not particularly scenic but really interesting for science/technology with Turbinia and Swan's elec light etc. All nearby parking spaces taken but EV bays not ICE'd. Although main priority was parking, the extra 24 miles added proved invaluable because with the tortuous road diversions got home with only 21 miles on guessometer.
Note that I had to turn round and face the wrong way up a one way street because the cable couldn't reach from front of LEAF to the post at the rear of the bay - but these bays ideal for Outlander.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys have you any photos of them ( worth a thousand words and all that)
Anyway here is another NE icon, The Spanish City (a listed building cited by Sting and Dire Straits ) framed between two deserted charging points. Actually that Green ( Whitley Bay links) is used for some big crowd events, shows, international dance festivals etc so I suppose that car park gets well used at times.

View attachment 1774
Charged at this one today took a stroll along beach and came across this new seal colony on St Mary's, it's worth a visit

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts