Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my E-Niro for a week and I plugged it in last night for a scheduled charge.

I have set up scheduled charging from 3-6.30am to fit with my Octopus EV tariff. However this morning I have found the battery hasn't charged overnight.

Can anyone suggest what I might have done wrong? Is there any sort of event log that might give a clue? I have installed UVO on my phone.

I did try out scheduled charging when I first set it up after I got the car and it worked fine.

I used scheduled charging most nights with my i3 for the past 3 years with no failures.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have found a sort-of log called messages in UVO. There is no record of any attempt to charge last night.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Did you send the charging instruction via UVO or did the schedule in car? Many have found that they need to send instructions twice via app as the first one fails. Mine always fails to turn air con on first time. Did you get a message from UVO that failed? Check the messages log.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Mine was set up in the car months ago to charge to 80% during the Octopus Go 5p/kWh period. If I get home and next day need more than is currently in the battery, I plug it in, otherwise not. I don't feel the need for anything more complicated than that.

Reactions: Gif

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the replies. What I did was basically what John Page did. The schedule is set up in the car and showing correctly. The auto charge button light is on and I just plugged it in and left it.

There was no failure message

I'll try again tonight

·
Registered
2020 Kia e-Niro
147 Posts
I've posted on this a couple of times and been onto the developers.

Even though it is setup in the car the app sometimes reverts to 50% on both rapid and destination chargers. I've been caught twice now. I always ensure I set the app to 80% and refresh it with the server. The car is set at 80% for home. The timer on the app also went haywire a couple of times. I just don't trust the app anymore and tend to force what i want with a refresh.

The developers are aware of it and working on it :rolleyes:

I've now had a Zappi installed, switched off the car timer, use the Zappi and all is good - except for the 50% thing which happened again on Friday night.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I've found a few times that it forgets the charging time slot and starts to charge immediately. I have to stop the charge, go into the car settings and enable the times again.

·
Registered
2020 Kia e-Niro
147 Posts
I've found a few times that it forgets the charging time slot and starts to charge immediately. I have to stop the charge, go into the car settings and enable the times again.
I'm suspicious that the app is defaulting to a set parameter and is sending it to the car.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I assume you set your departure time. I am not sure why this is necessary but the car does not seem to like timed charging if you have not set your departure time - even if it is the time you want charging to finish rather than actual departure time.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Grief - this all sounds flipping complicated. It should be very very simple. I'm concerned when mine finally arrives that I'll get some complaints from the family over lack of charge....

·
Registered
E-Niro 4
99 Posts
I’ve had my car a week and had all the issues people have mentioned here with the app. It’s very, very buggy! Zappi gets installed next week so I’ll simply use the scheduling on that in future as the app is too unreliable at present to rely on. Shame really as it looks decent and feature rich-ish but has a complete mind of its own!

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Grief - this all sounds flipping complicated. It should be very very simple. I'm concerned when mine finally arrives that I'll get some complaints from the family over lack of charge....
It’s not that complicated John. Get the basic settings right on the car to suit your needs and don’t fiddle with them thereafter unless you have to 👍

Take the app with a pinch of salt, it’s a solution looking for a problem from my experience of Ev apps. It was a novelty changing my i3 charge settings for a few weeks until I realised how flaky the whole thing was and I quickly gave up on it. Leaf was the same. Sounds like Niro is going same way.

I set the maximum charge on AC to 80%, set my charging times to 1am - 7am to comply with my low rate tariff when at home (set by reference to geographic location) and set departure times to 7.30 weekdays and 8.30 weekends (or whatever is typical for you).

Due to the range on the Niro I often don’t plug in at all these days. This has the downside of the departure time not triggering the precondition routine but that’s not an issue most days.

The only interference with those setting I use is where I know I’m doing a long road trip next day (increase 80% limit to 100% before getting out of the car).

Make sure you plug in on frosty nights for toasty feet in the morning 😂

1 - 13 of 13 Posts