Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m having trouble with scheduled charging for my new e-Niro. I succeeded in charging it once, but tried again last night and it didn’t charge, despite the UVO app and the car telling me that charging was scheduled for 12.30am to 4.30 am - off-peak hours only. The blinking light on the car and on the home Pod-Point charger both indicated that scheduled charging was set. Advice very welcome - thanks.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Have you got a %limit set on the level of charge? If it’s set to say 70% and the battery is already over that, it won’t charge.

Have you got all days of week set?

Assume you haven’t got location based charging switched on with different settings?

·
Registered
503 Posts
This happened to me on My Kona a Couple of times i think the issue is the cable into the charger was not pushed all of the way in, i got all of the correct notifications (no app for me) but no charging.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have you got a %limit set on the level of charge? If it’s set to say 70% and the battery is already over that, it won’t charge.

Have you got all days of week set?

Assume you haven’t got location based charging switched on with different settings?
Thanks for replying:
The limit set is 100% and the battery is currently 66% so I don’t think that is the issue.
I haven’t got all days of the week selected. Under scheduled charge, there doesn’t seem to be anything to set days of the week - only the time slot - or am I missing something? One of the things I am confused about is the relationship between the departure time setting and the scheduled charge setting. I had set a departure time for 9am today, assuming it would charge overnight last night during off-peak hours. But I’m not sure if I need to set a departure Time to get scheduled charging to work?
I haven’t got location based charging switched on.
Thanks again for helping with this

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This happened to me on My Kona a Couple of times i think the issue is the cable into the charger was not pushed all of the way in, i got all of the correct notifications (no app for me) but no charging.
I double-checked that the charger was pushed all the way in - the pod-point only seems to register and click when it is, so I don’t think that I’d the issue, but thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
4,094 Posts
What colours is the PodPoint blinking in the morning after a failed charge?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What colours is the PodPoint blinking in the morning after a failed charge?
I think it was still flashing green - as it is now as I’ve set it up to try again with a scheduled charge for tonight.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Thanks for replying:
The limit set is 100% and the battery is currently 66% so I don’t think that is the issue.
I haven’t got all days of the week selected. Under scheduled charge, there doesn’t seem to be anything to set days of the week - only the time slot - or am I missing something? One of the things I am confused about is the relationship between the departure time setting and the scheduled charge setting. I had set a departure time for 9am today, assuming it would charge overnight last night during off-peak hours. But I’m not sure if I need to set a departure Time to get scheduled charging to work?
I haven’t got location based charging switched on.
Thanks again for helping with this
You’re probably right as I got confused with the two I think now. Getting old sorry! I’ll go check again shortly.

·
Registered
503 Posts
If its charged once on the schedule then it's not a setup issue, I know you have to tick a couple of screens on the Kona to get schedule charging to work i dont have the app but rely on the vehicle to do mine, which apart from the plug issue has been seamless

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You’re probably right as I got confused with the two I think now. Getting old sorry! I’ll go check again shortly.
Totally understand - trying to get my head around how everything works on the new care is making me feel rather old!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If its charged once on the schedule then it's not a setup issue, I know you have to tick a couple of screens on the Kona to get schedule charging to work i dont have the app but rely on the vehicle to do mine, which apart from the plug issue has been seamless
Thanks. I checked it was set to scheduled charging on both the car and the app. I’m having another go tonight and just hoping it works.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
The only other thing I was looking at was the setting for “off peak tariffs prioritised” versus “Off peak tariffs only”. I seem to recall a discussion on here some time ago about these settings misbehaving but I can’t find it now.

For the record, mine is set on the former.

Interestingly, I can’t get the (scheduled) green light to flash without the charger being fully pushed home.

And for what it’s worth, I’ve got departures set for all days and it never fails.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The only other thing I was looking at was the setting for “off peak tariffs prioritised” versus “Off peak tariffs only”. I seem to recall a discussion on here some time ago about these settings misbehaving but I can’t find it now.

For the record, mine is set on the former.

Interestingly, I can’t get the (scheduled) green light to flash without the charger being fully pushed home.

And for what it’s worth, I’ve got departures set for all days and it never fails.
Thanks. I have mine set for ‘Off peak tariffs only’ as that is when I want it to charge. I’ll see if it charges tonight, and if not, I’ll try setting a departure time for every day of the week as you do - though I hadn’t done this previously when it did successfully charge. I’m hoping I did something wrong on setting it up yesterday and, having double-checked it today, that it will work tonight - fingers crossed! Thanks again for your help with this.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Thanks. I have mine set for ‘Off peak tariffs only’ as that is when I want it to charge. I’ll see if it charges tonight, and if not, I’ll try setting a departure time for every day of the week as you do - though I hadn’t done this previously when it did successfully charge. I’m hoping I did something wrong on setting it up yesterday and, having double-checked it today, that it will work tonight - fingers crossed! Thanks again for your help with this.
The problem with "Off peak tariffs only" is that the charging will stop even if the car hasn't reached 100% or whatever your max charging level is set to. That may be fine if you don't use much battery per day of course. The problem with setting a departure is that the car will pre-heat / pre-cool even if you are not going to use it which is not good obviously.

You shouldn't really need to touch the settings once set. I'd set them in the car rather than the app to make sure they stick. No experience of the Niro App but all others I've seen are flaky at best!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The problem with "Off peak tariffs only" is that the charging will stop even if the car hasn't reached 100% or whatever your max charging level is set to. That may be fine if you don't use much battery per day of course. The problem with setting a departure is that the car will pre-heat / pre-cool even if you are not going to use it which is not good obviously.
Ok. I’m not worried about the battery not teaching 100%. Because of the lockdown I’m not driving very far, and even when it’s over, I’ll only want to ensure 100% before an occasional long journey, so for everyday use, ‘off peak only’ should work for me.
surely the car will only pre-heat or pre-cool if a target temperature has been set?At the moment i have ‘scheduled charging’ on, but ‘Target temperature’ off.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
I’m not sure what use a departure time set in the system is if the target temperature is set to off? Not at my car dash now but can’t recall seeing that option on the 2019.

Maybe the car does use the departure time as part of the charging regime even when it’s not doing a cabin precondition. I can recall an earlier suggestion by a member on here that the timing of charges was based on the departure time when charging to 100%.

If that is the case I can see why failing to set a departure time might cause a glitch.

Give it a try though and see if it works. As has been said by others, it may just be a cable connection issue or something simple.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have the 2020 version - so not sure if it’s different? I can definitely set a departure time and then have an option, or not, to turn a target temperature on.
I watched a YouTube video of a Canadian guy explaining reserved/scheduled charging. He explained there are 2 ways to do it:
1. Set a departure time and the car would work out what time it needs to start charging to ensure the car reaches the set charge level (100% or whatever is set as the maximum) in time for your departure. Or
2. Set a scheduled charge between certain hours to take advantage of cheaper tariffs.
The implication was that these were 2 separate options, but it may be that you’re right and the departure time is critical to scheduled charging.
I’ll report how it goes!

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
I have the 2020 version - so not sure if it’s different?
Nor me!

1. Set a departure time and the car would work out what time it needs to start charging to ensure the car reaches the set charge level (100% or whatever is set as the maximum) in time for your departure.
Well that's certainly not what mine does. If I set a departure time with no scheduled charging, it just starts charging immediately and finishes asap. Departure time simply starts cabin preconditioning 30 minutes before departure to warm it up or cool it down.

But as you say, maybe they've changed the functions of the 2020 model.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Success! It worked last night with off-peak only selected and a departure time set for this morning at 9am. Still don’t know if I need the departure time set for scheduled charging to work, though. Figuring out how all the features of this car work is clearly a voyage of discovery :). Thanks again for your help.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Success! It worked last night with off-peak only selected and a departure time set for this morning at 9am. Still don’t know if I need the departure time set for scheduled charging to work, though. Figuring out how all the features of this car work is clearly a voyage of discovery :). Thanks again for your help.
Well if that works and you can set the target temperature to off then I guess stick with it unless you want to test the system to see whether that was the issue of course! Good job either way, at least it's working (y)

Just checked and yes I can switch off my target temperature too. Missed that, you learn something new everyday !

1 - 20 of 23 Posts