Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys. Having a problem with scheduled charging in that I can't get it to work! I setup 7am departure time everyday and set off peak between 11pm to 6am and only charge at off peak. Plugged in the 240v 10amp trickle charger but it doesn't start at 11pm when it should. Current charge is 45% and charge limit at 80%. Also note the expected charging time in the photo is on SUNDAY but today is Friday! What am I missing here?
IMG_20190503_060047.jpg
IMG_20190503_060031.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
It looks like it thinks it's just got to the end of today's charging cycle which would have run from midnight to 6am... did it put any charge into the battery overnight? At 10A (about 2.4kW in the UK) 6 hours would have put in about 14kWh (or a bit less) which would be about 22% if you've got the 64kWh version.
Also some have reported that it doesn't work if you have "Charging location" checking enabled.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got up thia morning at 6am to check it (hence the time on the clock) but it hadn't put any charge in over night at all.

Most concerning is that you can see it is planning to start charging only on Sunday!

Location charging is not setup at all.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
That does look very weird! How about if you change off-peak to be 1am-6am? I'm wondering if it doesn't like straddling midnight. I know on my Ampera when I was playing around with it, I had to set it up as two different times, one leading up to midnight and one from midnight. In the UK, it's simpler as our off-peak tariff generally runs from 00:30-07:30.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll give it a try when my wife gets back with it. I find it most weird that it's like 2 days out for the charge start time!

·
Registered
Kona 64
603 Posts
That does look very weird! How about if you change off-peak to be 1am-6am? I'm wondering if it doesn't like straddling midnight. I know on my Ampera when I was playing around with it, I had to set it up as two different times, one leading up to midnight and one from midnight. In the UK, it's simpler as our off-peak tariff generally runs from 00:30-07:30.
Agree, Even setting the start as 00.10 am should do it.

·
Registered
944 Posts
I'll give it a try when my wife gets back with it. I find it most weird that it's like 2 days out for the charge start time!
Does the charging appear to work in non-scheduled mode?
I recall Bjorn in one of his videos driving up to a charging station and not getting any energy flow, because he hadn't thought to set the vehicle max charge level high enough...

·
Registered
164 Posts
See the post "Charging issue to test for..." on April 12. This is a real issue, and Hyundai SK have not yet solved it. Get your car to your dealer, and refer them to this post.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No issues with regular charging at all. When it is is scheduled, I can use the override button OK as well. Main issues seems to be that it want to start the scheduled charge 2 days later!

·
Registered
164 Posts
No issues with regular charging at all. When it is is scheduled, I can use the override button OK as well. Main issues seems to be that it want to start the scheduled charge 2 days later!
No, it's not that it wants to start 2 days later - the "Sunday" is a default value that is never being updated by your settings. Also, if GPS date is turned off, and the date manually changed to Sunday, it still doesn't work. You have exactly the same issue that my car has...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Why would it show Sunday 12am to 6am as a default all the time? Surely this is not correct either. Have you found a work around for this?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Why would it show Sunday 12am to 6am as a default all the time? Surely this is not correct either. Have you found a work around for this?
I am trying to tell you that the software is corrupted and doesn't work at all. Hyundai needs to provide a patch (software fix) to correct this. The Sunday default is from when the car was built.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Understood. I have it booked for its first service soon (1500km first service). I will ask if they have the patch for it then. Are you aware of whether a patch exists?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Understood. I have it booked for its first service soon (1500km first service). I will ask if they have the patch for it then. Are you aware of whether a patch exists?
The dealer will know nothing about it, and quite likely, Hyundai AU won't know anything about it either. The situation at the moment is that Hyundai NZ's technical staff have examined my Kona, and that one of them has gone to Korea to get a fix organised. Hyundai AU could contact Hyundai NZ, or just wait until a solution comes along. Don't hold your breath - it has been a month already.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Just to summarise: Are you saying that:
1. Scheduled charge works (without off-peak tariff)
2. Off-peak charging works (without scheduled charge)
3. Only combination of these two doesn't work?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Just to summarise: Are you saying that:
1. Scheduled charge works (without off-peak tariff)
2. Off-peak charging works (without scheduled charge)
3. Only combination of these two doesn't work?
The use of "off-peak" is just Hyundai-speak for "preferred" - it has no practical meaning by way of separate settings for tariffs. So a "scheduled charge" is an "off-peak" charge, same thing. A "scheduled charge" will only take place if the "scheduled charging" setting is activated. All charging is otherwise manual.

As designed, "scheduled charging" allows the owner to choose a preferred time period for the Kona to charge without the owner being present. The car can be plugged in at other times, but will not initiate charging without a manual over-ride using the charge port button for that purpose.

The Kona has a Start time setting, a Stop time setting, and a Departure time setting. It also has a Priority setting, either Off-peak Prioritised or Off-peak Only. If Off-peak Only is chosen, charging takes place between the Start and Stop settings only. If Off-peak Prioritised is chosen, charging starts at the Start time, the Stop time is ignored and charging continues to Departure time unless restricted by a SoC level setting. Because the Stop time setting is there, it needs to be set to something meaningful.

For the fault being discussed here, if the "scheduled charging" setting is NOT activated, meaning all charging is manual, no problem exists.
If "scheduled charging" IS activated, no charging takes place at all, regardless of the settings chosen as above, and the car cannot be charged unless the charge port over-ride button is used, or the console setting is turned off..

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same problem with my Kona Launch Edition in Australia. I have managed to have some scheduled charging occur but it seems to default to Sunday for 'next charge' whenever I make a change to it?
I also want a bit more nuance to the scheduling. For example, I'd like to preference charging by day when my solar panels are generation power but also be able to use off-peak rates in middle of the night, especially when I need the charge. I've tried setting my schedule as 1am-3pm (capturing offpeak and sunny times) but even when I plug in at midday, and SOC is lowish, it doesn't initiate charge. It tends to make the charging occur just prior to departure time (set as mornings initially, have changed to afternoons to try and 'game' the system but now I have to wait for Sunday!).

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think I have the same problem. Having looked at the manual, and messed around with the charging times, it all seems to work when I leave the car on. The Charging LED indicator flashes green (scheduled). However it goes completely to sleep when I switch the car off and doesn't wake up to take the charge. I don't want to leave the car on overnight, so I think it might have to go back to the dealer to get a software fix.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts