Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
VW ID3 Tech v2.1
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally managed to get the car to charge from our Zappi overnight by setting a departure time in the car, with the charger on Eco boost (I think - 2 leaves in display) and also a scheduled off-peak period, though I don't know whether this is necessary and I'm not prepared to waste more time experimenting. If it aint broke. However the more obvious scheduled charging set in the car with an overnight time slot did not work the previous night. In both cases the car was already at 70% and set to charge to 80%. Also, despite the car being covered in snow the heater did not kick in with the scheduled departure as it was not selected (I'm not going anywhere), which is good as no energy wasted.

Just wondering whether the snow that fell into the socket when I unplugged the lead is going to cause problems, now...

Welcome to the spring.

·
Registered
ID3 1st & e-Golf
5,975 Posts
Are you on 2.1?
Since updating to 2.1 I have been able to leave everything off in the car and just use the boost timers on the Zappi and it has started evey time so far.
Zappi has to be in eco+ mode, woith 2 leaves, otherwise it will start to charge as soon as you plug in.
I've read that the ID charge timers still dont work with 2.1 and that will come in a future update.

I use the Zappi boost timers most of the time as I find them the most reliable and easiest to use since switching to an E7 tariff over 2 years ago.

·
Registered
VW ID3 Tech v2.1
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you on 2.1?
Since updating to 2.1 I have been able to leave everything off in the car and just use the boost timers on the Zappi and it has started evey time so far.
Zappi has to be in eco+ mode, woith 2 leaves, otherwise it will start to charge as soon as you plug in.
I've read that the ID charge timers still dont work with 2.1 and that will come in a future update.

I use the Zappi boost timers most of the time as I find them the most reliable and easiest to use since switching to an E7 tariff over 2 years ago.
Interesting. I'd rather not have to juggle two systems so I could delete the location data in the car and see whether the Zappi control alone will work. And yes, the car is on 2.1.

·
Registered
ID.3 Tour. Stonewashed blue.
94 Posts
I have a loaner ID.3 on 2.1. I have tried everything I can think of to get it to charge on a timed session with the Zappi. I used to use the Eco+ (2 leaves) and a timed boost on my e-Niro, and the Ioniq before it, and had no problems. But with the ID.3 If I try the same set-up the red light is on in the charge port in the morning and no charging has taken place.

I've a pain in my discharge port trying all of the settings on the car and on the charger. It just refuses to charge when I want it to... on cheap rate electricity.

·
Registered
ID3 1st & e-Golf
5,975 Posts
I have a loaner ID.3 on 2.1. I have tried everything I can think of to get it to charge on a timed session with the Zappi. I used to use the Eco+ (2 leaves) and a timed boost on my e-Niro, and the Ioniq before it, and had no problems. But with the ID.3 If I try the same set-up the red light is on in the charge port in the morning and no charging has taken place.

I've a pain in my discharge port trying all of the settings on the car and on the charger. It just refuses to charge when I want it to... on cheap rate electricity.
Is there a charge location set?
Try switching it off or deleting it entirely and see if that helps.
On the original software I had to delete the charge location settings to get it to charge at full speed and on 2.0 I had to have them switched off for it to work.

On 2.1 I haven't even bothered setting one as I'd read they still don't work and I've not had problems over the last two weeks.

·
Registered
ID.3 Tour. Stonewashed blue.
94 Posts
Is there a charge location set?
Try switching it off or deleting it entirely and see if that helps.
On the original software I had to delete the charge location settings to get it to charge at full speed and on 2.0 I had to have them switched off for it to work.

On 2.1 I haven't even bothered setting one as I'd read they still don't work and I've not had problems over the last two weeks.
I do believe I've tried everything. No location, a new location, no departure time but preferred time, no preferred time but departure time, no timers just Zappi boost time, etc, etc.

It just will not do it.

The only stuff I haven't tried is waking the car up with a 1 minute precondition when the charge timer is set. My WeConnect is still connected to my car, so I'm limited in how much I can trick the car into waking up.

·
Registered
ID3 1st & e-Golf
5,975 Posts
I do believe I've tried everything. No location, a new location, no departure time but preferred time, no preferred time but departure time, no timers just Zappi boost time, etc, etc.

It just will not do it.

The only stuff I haven't tried is waking the car up with a 1 minute precondition when the charge timer is set. My WeConnect is still connected to my car, so I'm limited in how much I can trick the car into waking up.
Sounds like there's a problem with the car.

·
Registered
VW ID3 Tech v2.1
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Are you on 2.1?

I deleted the home location and just plugged in the Zappi with boost set in the middle of the night. That works fine so I'll probably stick with that. We don't have any renewable sources at the house. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
40 Posts
We got ours back yesterday and I tried a scheduled charge, after setting the location and settings.

The car successfully indicated it was preparing for a 7am departure but didn't manage to get to 80%, only 70%.

It will be plugged in again tonight and I'll see what happens.

·
Registered
Volkswagen ID.3 Life
2,853 Posts
We got ours back yesterday and I tried a scheduled charge, after setting the location and settings.

The car successfully indicated it was preparing for a 7am departure but didn't manage to get to 80%, only 70%.

It will be plugged in again tonight and I'll see what happens.
Under-charging is a known bug in 2.1. It does it to everyone.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have had the same problem with my car. Set for 4 hours of charging overnight which should load approx 28 Kw (36% or 28-30 mph)) but only ever loads about 12 - 15% (8-9 mph). I checked a day time scheduled charge and, sure enough, it's charging at a slower pace. When I remove all the schedules and just plug it straight in my charger delivers the expected 7 kw per hour or 28-30 mph. Thus, the charger is fine but the car's software seems to limit the power take on a scheduled charge (I should make it clear that 'reduced AC current' is off). Must be software but I'm going to let my dealership tell me what they think. It's a small consolation to know I'm not the only one.

·
Registered
Volkswagen ID.3 Life
2,853 Posts
I have had the same problem with my car. Set for 4 hours of charging overnight which should load approx 28 Kw (36% or 28-30 mph)) but only ever loads about 12 - 15% (8-9 mph). I checked a day time scheduled charge and, sure enough, it's charging at a slower pace. When I remove all the schedules and just plug it straight in my charger delivers the expected 7 kw per hour or 28-30 mph. Thus, the charger is fine but the car's software seems to limit the power take on a scheduled charge (I should make it clear that 'reduced AC current' is off). Must be software but I'm going to let my dealership tell me what they think. It's a small consolation to know I'm not the only one.
Welcome Squimpy. You've bumped quite an old thread. This one is newer:

The software is definitely flaky. I've reported a few times that the car will randomly decide to charge at different rates. A few nights ago 'reduced AC current' was 1.4kW, and last night it was 4kW. Sadly, I don't think it's fixed in the 2.3 software. Let's hope they get around to it in the next release.

·
Registered
98 Posts
MIne is on 2.1 and working as I want it. I have no location set and I have set the car to charge to a max of 80%. Then I set my charger to run between 00:30 and 04:30 (Octopus Go) and the car charges for 4 hours then stops. If it reaches 80% before the 4 hours it stops early. So the charger is controlling the timing and the car the level of charge. When the software is working as expected I'll just use the car to set a location and charge time.

·
Registered
ID.3 1st
541 Posts
There’s no change with the 2.3 update.

I shall stick to using my charger timer, the car just determines the maximum %.

Reactions: GordonP

·
Registered
2 Posts
MIne is on 2.1 and working as I want it. I have no location set and I have set the car to charge to a max of 80%. Then I set my charger to run between 00:30 and 04:30 (Octopus Go) and the car charges for 4 hours then stops. If it reaches 80% before the 4 hours it stops early. So the charger is controlling the timing and the car the level of charge. When the software is working as expected I'll just use the car to set a location and charge time.
Hi - I would like to do the same thing please. How do you set it to charge between those times? I’ve tried setting a location last night that didn’t work and can’t work out how to set it any other way? Thanks

1 - 20 of 24 Posts