Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
Niro EV 4
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ran a scheduled charge last night (Octopus price plunge) and the schedule was 3am to 6am. The car stopped charging around 5am at 97%.

I disabled scheduled charging (via the app) and the car correctly restarted charging and carried on to 100%.

I’ve noticed for a while I’ve not been getting to 100%.

· Registered
Kia Soul 30Kwh, 2018
464 Posts
I've noticed of late that when I get in the car after a charge it either registers 99 or 100% but seems to get to 97% quite quickly, then settles down .... Octopus Go/Wallbox scheduled / KIa Soul 30Kwh

· Registered
8 Posts
Has anyone got a resolution for this problem please? I have an E Niro 4+ which has the exact same issue; on a scheduled charge despite being sufficient time to reach 100% the car only reaches 97% and stops charging. The car will reach 100% if charged without the schedule being set. This started happening about 7 months after purchase. I have tried without success to get the dealership to investigate and resolve this; they just charged without a schedule despite telling them in numerous emails/phone calls. :mad:

· Registered
2,156 Posts
As before I suspect it's the cold nights.

I have a pair of lithium ion power banks which I use to run ventilation fans at my rented garage some distance away. These show 0% when I exchange them, but bringing the empty pack back to my warm lounge, it will show 4% after a few hours.

What happens if you schedule a charge during the day?

· Registered
8 Posts
As before I suspect it's the cold nights.

I have a pair of lithium ion power banks which I use to run ventilation fans at my rented garage some distance away. These show 0% when I exchange them, but bringing the empty pack back to my warm lounge, it will show 4% after a few hours.

What happens if you schedule a charge during the day?
Not tried as taking advantage of the cheaper electricity price on Octopus Go tariff. I will try next time I am in work as there is a charger I can use. 😝

· Registered
Kia Soul 2021
598 Posts
Has anyone got a resolution for this problem please? I have an E Niro 4+ which has the exact same issue; on a scheduled charge despite being sufficient time to reach 100% the car only reaches 97% and stops charging. The car will reach 100% if charged without the schedule being set. This started happening about 7 months after purchase. I have tried without success to get the dealership to investigate and resolve this; they just charged without a schedule despite telling them in numerous emails/phone calls. :mad:
Not tried as taking advantage of the cheaper electricity price on Octopus Go tariff. I will try next time I am in work as there is a charger I can use. 😝
I think you mentioned your problem in another thread Bella.
Just plug it in at work with a full or near full charge with no schedule set and let it run and it will balance the cells if that is the problem.
Sometimes it takes a long time for the BMS system to complete the balancing depending on the state of the cells.
After filling the battery, it will then draw a tiny charge over several hours to finish the job.
I had the same problem in my Soul EV (only filling to 97%) and this cured it. 🤗

· Registered
8 Posts
Just plug it in at work with a full or near full charge with no schedule set and let it run and it will balance the cells if that is the problem.
Sometimes it takes a long time for the BMS system to complete the balancing depending on the state of the cells.
After filling the battery, it will then draw a tiny charge over several hours to finish the job.
Yes will give that a go later this week. Thanks.

· Registered
2021 Soul EV
356 Posts
It's gone quiet in here - I wonder if plugging in and allowing the slow dribble of charging was all it took to solve the problem - Just give it time.

I know that I watched my Soul complete its charging to 100% once and was surprised at the extra tens of minutes that it took. The driver's display showed that it was drawing less than full power after 97-98% and only a dribble by 99%. That must have been the cell balancing.

It beats me that people can be so stingy as to not just press the "start now" at a percentage like 97% to see what happens and if it resolves the 100% problem. The reason it takes a long time at the very end is because it is consuming a relative dribble - As can be seen on the driver's dash. My dash was showing something close to 1kW at the end, and the estimated time to full was just dashes (Kia Connect said 2 minutes) but it might have said that for 20 or 30 minutes or more!

· Registered
Soul EV 30kWh 2018 MY
511 Posts
Its my understanding that, unlike lead-acid batteries, lithium-based batteries have a very flat discharge curve, and the State of Charge cannot be measured by reading the terminal volts. Therefore, the SoC is calculated mainly by measuring the ampere hours (Ah) put into it during charging, but probably taking into account other factors such as temperature

The State of Health (SoH), or existing capacity, is also calculated, i,e, if it won't take the theoretical amount of Ah, it has less capacity than when new.

It follows that the SoC value shown to the driver is not an absolute value, and could be recalculated some time after the completion of the charge, to come up with a slightly lower value, which would, as said above, allow a top-up.

· Registered
2021 Soul EV
356 Posts
Well @Marksla was last seen online 4hrs ago (now Thur 7th 12:40), but hasn't seen fit to report back on the effect of just giving the car the opportunity of a bit more time for charging (cell balancing).
...So we may never know if the problem is resolved by suggestions from several different people who took the time to reply with possible solutions and explanations.

· Registered
8 Posts
It's gone quiet in here - I wonder if plugging in and allowing the slow dribble of charging was all it took to solve the problem - Just give it time.

I know that I watched my Soul complete its charging to 100% once and was surprised at the extra tens of minutes that it took. The driver's display showed that it was drawing less than full power after 97-98% and only a dribble by 99%. That must have been the cell balancing.

It beats me that people can be so stingy as to not just press the "start now" at a percentage like 97% to see what happens and if it resolves the 100% problem. The reason it takes a long time at the very end is because it is consuming a relative dribble - As can be seen on the driver's dash. My dash was showing something close to 1kW at the end, and the estimated time to full was just dashes (Kia Connect said 2 minutes) but it might have said that for 20 or 30 minutes or more!
I have now taken the car to work and managed to reach the 100% without the schedule. I have done this before though but this time I am hoping it will balance the cells and fix the issue. Again I will need to report back in several weeks time (not driving too much and try not to charge to 100% more than once a month). Thank you all and will let you know soon. 😊

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.