Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guy's hopefully you can help!
Just got my 4 + E-Niro.
Pre-heating of the E-Niro, seems like the departure pre-heating timer option only activates if the car plugged in to a charger and active, to pull off the mains instead of battery?
Is this correct? as need to it to Pre-heat every day without it been pluged in.

Only way I have found is to manually activate on UVO app every morning!
Also found if the charger is plugged in and switched off does not work on manual Uvo activation either.
Not sure if anyones know a way to override this so can just pre-heat from battery on the timer every morning?

This is the message I get on UVO

·
Registered
41 Posts
scheduled pre heat works only when plugged in I have found, if you need heat everyday while not plugged in, you have to manually turn on the heating.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Cheers Paul for the confirmation! I think it is just idiotic will double check with Kia their logic about this and see if anything can be done!
As what is the difference with the manual trigger, does not need to be charging then!
Confirmed even if charger connected and on schedueled charging also set to different time so should not charge! still pulls off charger for pre-heat!

I asked before I brought the car if it had timed pre-heating, no mention it has to be pluged in to the mains!
Looks like this may be going back!😓

Imagine if a ICE car had pre heating but you had to have it permanently connected to a petrol tanker just in case! lol 🤣

·
Super Moderator
7,620 Posts
Not sure if Alexa has integration yet, but if you could set a timed skill to shoot off the “preheat now” request that would work

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thanks Edd, yes looking into node-red and Alexa intergration, but no good if car has no signal or uvo down. but is all we have at the moment!

To me this should be a basic thing on the car, up to me if I want to use battery or charger, they could have if <20% battery will not work if they are worried about it being drained!

Just checked Alexa and looks like on USA so far cannot install the skill on uk.
So looking into a Nodered design now!

·
Registered
61 Posts
just looking in to this. I guess I will have similar issues if using say an ohme charger to control scheduled charging rather than the car? if the ohme is set not to charge at the time preheating should happen then will preheating not occur?
(best outcome for me would be for car to preheat from battery filled with cheap electricity rather than mains)

·
Registered
208 Posts
I haven't got my e-Niro yet, but on my Golf GTE hybrid there was a setting which allowed heating from the battery. It needed to be set ON for it to work.
V. Useful when at work and wanted the car heated by the time you'd left work and reached the car park.

·
Registered
739 Posts
We have a 2020 e-Niro4. They ARE supposed to pre-heat the cabin without being plugged in at the time. It's in the manual and confirmed by Kia.

As for the Ohme, we have one too. We're on Octopus Agile so have deleted all of the timed charging data and set a minimum price per kWh as the trigger to turn power on and off only.
As the pre-heating is supposed to work without the car being plugged in, this means it should pre-heat as per the timings set in the schedule in the App/dash, or on demand via the App at any time.

However.....the message you're getting in the App is very similar to that which we're getting on ours.

Since the car was delivered pre-heating will only come on plugged in or not, scheduled or manually activated for 5 seconds then turns off.

This along with the other heater faults in various 2020/21 e-Niros could be the cause of your issue.

But, again the 2020 onwards e-Niros, so anything other than the First Edition models from 2019 can pre-heat without being plugged in.

·
Registered
2 Posts
just looking in to this. I guess I will have similar issues if using say an ohme charger to control scheduled charging rather than the car? if the ohme is set not to charge at the time preheating should happen then will preheating not occur?
(best outcome for me would be for car to preheat from battery filled with cheap electricity rather than mains)
correct. A smartcharger not charging is the same as no power. If you schedule the preheat to a time when you know the Ohme will be charging then the preheat will work. Otherwise you'll need to do it from the app. First world problems!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
We have a 2020 e-Niro4. They ARE supposed to pre-heat the cabin without being plugged in at the time. It's in the manual and confirmed by Kia.
Hi iS3 can you point me to the manual where ist say's this? wonder if they have taken it out of the 4+ manual? or think they maybe the same manual!

·
Registered
739 Posts
Hi iS3 can you point me to the manual where ist say's this? wonder if they have taken it out of the 4+ manual? or think they maybe the same manual!
Unfortunately the car and manual aren’t in with me - If you ask in this Facebook group, they’ll confirm it also: Facebook Groups . Stays on for 15mins only when started without being plugged in. End time will coincide with your set departure time if it’s part of a scheduled event.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts