Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Volkswagen ID.4 (plus a '72 camper and a '67 GP Spyder - not electric)
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
When I ordered the car, EDF somehow knew and immediately offered me a free 7KW charger, as part of a smart charging trial (they install some other monitoring kit for a few months as well, to monitor usage), which I obviously accepted.
The trial tariff is significantly cheaper overnight, but the charger they've supplied (Izivia branded) has no app or anything, just a socket. They told me to use the car's scheduling to charge at the cheap rates.
Going through the menus in the car, it seems I can schedule a 'leave time' by which time I want charging to finish, which seems to delay the start of charging but I can't tell it not to start charging until a particular time.
I also noticed that, when I set it to finish charging at 8am, it had only charged to 70% by 8am when I'd set it to charge to 80%, which would have been irritating if I was travelling a long way (which I wasn't fortunately) and it was still charging until I actually unplugged it around 8:40
Does anyone know how the scheduling is meant to work, or if it's yet another thing they are 'working on'?
Cheers,
Timo

·
Registered
Volkswagen ID.3 Life
2,685 Posts
Hi All,
When I ordered the car, EDF somehow knew and immediately offered me a free 7KW charger, as part of a smart charging trial (they install some other monitoring kit for a few months as well, to monitor usage), which I obviously accepted.
The trial tariff is significantly cheaper overnight, but the charger they've supplied (Izivia branded) has no app or anything, just a socket. They told me to use the car's scheduling to charge at the cheap rates.
Going through the menus in the car, it seems I can schedule a 'leave time' by which time I want charging to finish, which seems to delay the start of charging but I can't tell it not to start charging until a particular time.
I also noticed that, when I set it to finish charging at 8am, it had only charged to 70% by 8am when I'd set it to charge to 80%, which would have been irritating if I was travelling a long way (which I wasn't fortunately) and it was still charging until I actually unplugged it around 8:40
Does anyone know how the scheduling is meant to work, or if it's yet another thing they are 'working on'?
Cheers,
Timo
This is covered in the ID.3 forum, but...

Yes, there is a bug where the car under-estimates how long it takes to reach the % you set. So, you can set it higher than you need (90% rather than 80%) and it will charge during the off-peak hours you set. I'm on Octopus Go for 0030 to 0430 and it will charge in that window.

·
Registered
ID3 Life
188 Posts
it also sounds like you haven’t scrolled down on the charging schedule screen to see the Preferred Time slots, which in an ideal world would do exactly what you want, however.......:rolleyes: As MrPaulus says, there is a lot of coverage of this and the various ways to trick it in the ID3 forum, but the general thing that works much of the time is to set multiple consecutive sessions.

It’ll probably get sorted at some point but it’s currently an issue. I think if it were me, once the trial ended I’d be replacing the EVSE with something a little smarter, it should only mean a replacement of the EVSE itself as the rest of the install is liable to be generic.

·
Registered
Volkswagen ID.3 Life
2,685 Posts
Real world data from last night: My ID.3 was at about 65%. It was set to charge to 80% overnight with an off-peak window of 0030 to 0430. The car doesn't start charging until 03:15 at 7.5kW, and finishes at 04:30 at 77%. There is a very basic miscalculation of how long it takes to charge. It's hard to see how VW missed that in testing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Real world data from last night: My ID.3 was at about 65%. It was set to charge to 80% overnight with an off-peak window of 0030 to 0430. The car doesn't start charging until 03:15 at 7.5kW, and finishes at 04:30 at 77%. There is a very basic miscalculation of how long it takes to charge. It's hard to see how VW missed that in testing.

View attachment 144322
Someone in a different forum found that if you simply leave a weight of some sort in the driver's seat, that scheduled charging works better.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Would be nice if you could set start and stop charging times and a departure time separately so that you could charge off peak (supporting the grid and taking advantage of cheap charging) and also have the air conditioning come on when you want it, rather than at 4am. Doesn't seem so much to ask.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
it also sounds like you haven’t scrolled down on the charging schedule screen to see the Preferred Time slots, which in an ideal world would do exactly what you want, however.......:rolleyes: As MrPaulus says, there is a lot of coverage of this and the various ways to trick it in the ID3 forum, but the general thing that works much of the time is to set multiple consecutive sessions.

It’ll probably get sorted at some point but it’s currently an issue. I think if it were me, once the trial ended I’d be replacing the EVSE with something a little smarter, it should only mean a replacement of the EVSE itself as the rest of the install is liable to be generic.
I wonder if the software is slightly different on the ID.4 - I have scrolled up and down every menu I can find and cannot find 'preferred time slots' anywhere.
I have to use the EDF charger for the trial, but when they finish the trial, they will replace it with a PodPoint charger apparently.

·
Registered
ID.4 1st edition (previously Mitsubishi outlander PHEV)
173 Posts
I wonder if the software is slightly different on the ID.4 - I have scrolled up and down every menu I can find and cannot find 'preferred time slots' anywhere.
I have to use the EDF charger for the trial, but when they finish the trial, they will replace it with a PodPoint charger apparently.
if you have to pay for the podpoint, you may want to shop around and find the charger with features you really like. the apps to support them are all different and some you have to pay for a license.
If you have solar, currently zappi is best; some are rubbish eg tesla (which relies on the car to do the smart stuff but does open the flap for you!), there is just a lot of choice so you should think about what suits you best.

these guys have some good information relevant for the uk market (lot of USA market info around which is confusing), and will help with pros and cons of different systems.

·
Registered
Volkswagen ID.3 Life
2,685 Posts
Would be nice if you could set start and stop charging times and a departure time separately so that you could charge off peak (supporting the grid and taking advantage of cheap charging) and also have the air conditioning come on when you want it, rather than at 4am. Doesn't seem so much to ask.
You misunderstand, that's how it works. Departure time makes sure the heating comes on, at 0900 for example. The weird features are that it aims to finish charging at the end of the 'off peak' times, but underestimates how long it will take.
I'll get a photo of the ID.3 settings.

Scroll down to...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
if you have to pay for the podpoint, you may want to shop around and find the charger with features you really like. the apps to support them are all different and some you have to pay for a license.
The podpoint will be free, for taking part in the trial. I guess if it's no good I can change it later and won't have lost anything.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You misunderstand, that's how it works. Departure time makes sure the heating comes on, at 0900 for example. The weird features are that it aims to finish charging at the end of the 'off peak' times, but underestimates how long it will take.
I'll get a photo of the ID.3 settings.
Scroll down to...
I stand completely corrected - I was clicking through to try to set the charging schedule within the 'Monday to Friday' settings in the top image (which would make more sense to me). I'll get the hang of this soon!
Thank you for the help! - Strangely, when I spoke to the dealer about it he said that the functionality to set charge times would be in the next software update, so he obviously didn't know which menu to scroll down in either.

·
Registered
Volkswagen ID.3 Life
2,685 Posts
Strangely, when I spoke to the dealer about it he said that the functionality to set charge times would be in the next software update, so he obviously didn't know which menu to scroll down in either.
Scheduled charging is part of the 2.1 software, which all ID.4s should have.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts