Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Just committed to a new GTE Passat and beginning to wonder about all sort of things as i get slightly over excited (never thought i'd say that about a Passat).

I see a couple of companies (Scottish Power and Octopus) have some circa 5p/kw rates for night time charging which would be nice to make use of.

The Pod-Point chargers VW highlight seem to say they don't support setting when then charge will happen and that it's down to the car. Does the Passat allow me to set it to kick off at 1am for example?

Andy

·
Registered
999 Posts
no problem, I'm assuming that you will also have access to the phone app, so everything should be accessible from the app too. But it is quite easy to set it up in the car as well.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Look for a motoring magazine website review of the Passat GTE and note the reg number of the car they reviewed.
You can go to the VW website and look online for the owners manual, by entering a reg number.
There is detail in there on the eManager settings, for things like charging and timers and preheating.

Happy pre-car-arriving Reading

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Look for a motoring magazine website review of the Passat GTE and note the reg number of the car they reviewed.
You can go to the VW website and look online for the owners manual, by entering a reg number.
There is detail in there on the eManager settings, for things like charging and timers and preheating.

Happy pre-car-arriving Reading
Sneeky - thanks

·
Registered
30 Posts
It can be done in car by can specifying the charging time in the settings (I forget precisely where).

Or you can set it in the Connect app,under Departure Times, then Charging Location. You switch on Peak Power and can then specify the start and end times of your cheap rate.

Combined with Departure Times, you can control fairly well exactly when youwant charging to occur.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It can be done in car by can specifying the charging time in the settings (I forget precisely where).

Or you can set it in the Connect app,under Departure Times, then Charging Location. You switch on Peak Power and can then specify the start and end times of your cheap rate.

Combined with Departure Times, you can control fairly well exactly when youwant charging to occur.
Cheers flying hedgehog. Picking the car up Monday so getting excited about the challenges of eeking out range. Seems I'll be returning to the forums fit tips regularly!

·
Registered
352 Posts
For the best health of the battery, it's best not to fully charge it until just before you plan to use it. Lithium Ion batteries don't like spending much time fully charged or fully discharged.

I have mine set to charge to 70% when I plug it in (so I've always got usable range available for unplanned journeys) and then to top up to 100% just before I leave for work in the morning.

Completing charging just before you use the car also means the battery is already at operating temperature when you set off (so you won't waste range by using the battery's power to warm itself up).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
For the best health of the battery, it's best not to fully charge it until just before you plan to use it. Lithium Ion batteries don't like spending much time fully charged or fully discharged.

I have mine set to charge to 70% when I plug it in (so I've always got usable range available for unplanned journeys) and then to top up to 100% just before I leave for work in the morning.

Completing charging just before you use the car also means the battery is already at operating temperature when you set off (so you won't waste range by using the battery's power to warm itself up).
Thanks! Picked it up today and starting to find my way around the app and stuff, appreciate the advice.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts