Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I must be nuts but we are heading to Scotland (from Newcastle) next week. I did not buy the Leaf for long journeys! Wife thinks we should give it a go. Potential saving of £40-50 that swung it for her. Hey ho and away we will go :confused: God help us if St Boswell's is down! :eek:

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I must be nuts but we are heading to Scotland (from Newcastle) next week. I did not buy the Leaf for long journeys! Wife thinks we should give it a go. Potential saving of £40-50 that swung it for her. Hey ho and away we will go :confused: God help us if St Boswell's is down! :eek:
St Boswells should be fine as they've just had a new charger installed.
Beware if you're planning to use Hexham though, as they are having their upgrade done now so that'll be offline for a few days.

·
Driving yet another EV!
2,884 Posts
I have done north of Aberdeen to south coast of England and back once, and north of Aberdeen to just north of Birmingham and back once. Each time was in my C-Zero (shorter range than Leaf, but also has CHAdeMO) and I have to say that although not as easy as doing it in an ICE it is quite manageable.

·
Registered
195 Posts
As long as time is no issue then you should have no problems. Enjoy the trip. I am planning a roadtrip from Essex to Glasgow at some point likely via Stoke-On-Trent as we can stay there overnight. Looking at the Ecotricity Map then the A1 and A66 may be better than M6 although we'll go M6 if in Stoke. I know there are plans for rapids at Penrith and Carlisle which will make that leg easier. Anyone have any updates on them yet?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have done north of Aberdeen to south coast of England and back once, and north of Aberdeen to just north of Birmingham and back once. Each time was in my C-Zero (shorter range than Leaf, but also has CHAdeMO) and I have to say that although not as easy as doing it in an ICE it is quite manageable.
That sounded like quite an Adventure Matt! :) Yeah we should be ok or I wouldn't even be considering this. Thanks for that Flipper we wont be using Hexham , we will use rapids at Alnwick/Haggerston/St Boswell's/Ikea Edinburgh/Glasgow

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As long as time is no issue then you should have no problems. Enjoy the trip. I am planning a roadtrip from Essex to Glasgow at some point likely via Stoke-On-Trent as we can stay there overnight. Looking at the Ecotricity Map then the A1 and A66 may be better than M6 although we'll go M6 if in Stoke. I know there are plans for rapids at Penrith and Carlisle which will make that leg easier. Anyone have any updates on them yet?
Have a look here http://rapidchargenetwork.com/drivers.php

·
Registered
195 Posts
Thanks Robert thats looks spot on. I just wonder how long before those points go live? Looking at the map I think its possibly including the Essex Rapid Network being installed by the County Council. Braintree, Saffron Walden and Colchester go live on 31/06/14. They are still looking for a site in Chelmsford. These are being run by CYC and rumoured cost to charge is £5.00

I have been in contact with council to advise that I still think its to early to start charging especially when people can go into Nissan Colchester for free. They should continue to provide free charging for a further period or a minimum charge to encourage growth and tourism into Essex. I was informed charging cost still under review but they would take my views into consideration. At £5.00, I can see little use taking place and then the whole idea gets written off as a bad idea.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes well charging is a major issue ATM with some areas charging silly amounts, others providing it free. The only reliable charge point I know is at my house, once I am out of range of it then I am in the lap of the gods :eek:

·
Driving yet another EV!
2,884 Posts
There is a new triple-charger in Coldstream, but not yet on CYC map so you may not want to take the gamble in case it is not yet working. It is supposed to be at "92 High St Coldstream, Scottish Borders TD12, UK". If you have the charge and time to do so, it might be worth going via there to check it out. If it really is operational it should make the trip easier.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There is a new triple-charger in Coldstream, but not yet on CYC map so you may not want to take the gamble in case it is not yet working. It is supposed to be at "92 High St Coldstream, Scottish Borders TD12, UK". If you have the charge and time to do so, it might be worth going via there to check it out. If it really is operational it should make the trip easier.
Cheers Matt I will have a look

·
Registered
145 Posts
We're doing the same trip at the end of July. Well actually Colchester to Edinburgh, but it's the bits north of York that have been concerning me. Especially as I noticed yesterday that Hexham was down. I'm a bit happier now that I've seen @flipper 's message. Hopefully Hexham will be sorted by the time we go. Or maybe the coastal route is a better bet.

Please can you let me know how you get on. Good luck.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Thanks Robert thats looks spot on. I just wonder how long before those points go live? Looking at the map I think its possibly including the Essex Rapid Network being installed by the County Council. Braintree, Saffron Walden and Colchester go live on 31/06/14. They are still looking for a site in Chelmsford. These are being run by CYC and rumoured cost to charge is £5.00

I have been in contact with council to advise that I still think its to early to start charging especially when people can go into Nissan Colchester for free. They should continue to provide free charging for a further period or a minimum charge to encourage growth and tourism into Essex. I was informed charging cost still under review but they would take my views into consideration. At £5.00, I can see little use taking place and then the whole idea gets written off as a bad idea.
By 31/6/14 do you mean 30/6/14 i.e. today or 31/7/14? Saffron Walden could be quite useful for my trip at the end of July but the 31st will be too late.

Do you know where the Colchester charger is going to be? I could perhaps check it out on my way home tonight. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
We're doing the same trip at the end of July. Well actually Colchester to Edinburgh, but it's the bits north of York that have been concerning me. Especially as I noticed yesterday that Hexham was down. I'm a bit happier now that I've seen @flipper 's message. Hopefully Hexham will be sorted by the time we go. Or maybe the coastal route is a better bet.

Also worth bearing in mind that Scotch Corner had an ongoing comms issue, so probably best to avoid that if you've not used it before.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
And Washington south would not start for me yesterday. The adventure awaits! :)

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Yeah I will put it in this thread. Matt I might turn up at your house, cable in hand :D

·
Registered
195 Posts
Hi Roger sorry I can't count. I was told it would be ready for end of June. I think they are having an event on 21/07/14 as well but I am away. It could be they wait to turn on until then. The Chelmsford Rapid was due to go into Meadow Car Park but shopping centre owners have pulled out.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts