Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone reassure me about taking my ev to scotland in a couple of days time? I've got the cyc app which I thought was what I needed to use the public charge network but now I'm looking at the website properly it seems to say I need to apply for a card and pay £20? I don't really mind paying but due to set off Weds so card wouldn't arrive in time :/
Do chargers up the A9 work from the app? If they don't, is it still possible to use without a card if I call up maybe? I'm really worried and cursing that I didn't read this properly sooner

·
Registered
2016 Nissan LEAF SL
1,084 Posts
CYC app will work on most chargers, but some do tend to be less reliable with the app and prefer a card.

Always have a plan to get to a second charger so never let your battery go fully empty. There are lots of chargers in Scotland but there are also a fair few that don't work either. Keep an eye on Zap Map/Plugshare for recent reports of chargers that may be faulty or even removed with no notice.

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Having an RFID card will make your journey enjoyable. Without the card it will be sheer misery. £20 for happiness.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I'm screwed? I'm due to leave in 2 days, surely a card won't arrive in time?

·
Registered
132 Posts
The chargers on the Chargeplace Scotland/CYC scheme will most likely work without the card (which you won’t get in two days). Looks like there’s a bunch of chargers in Perth then Aviemore and a couple en route so as long as you can get from Perth to Aviemore or Inverness then you’re probably ok.

·
Registered
2016 Nissan LEAF SL
1,084 Posts
So I'm screwed? I'm due to leave in 2 days, surely a card won't arrive in time?
I'm not saying that at all. Just be sure to leave yourself the extra range to get to extra chargers just in case. It's not as reliable using the app, but you should manage even if you maybe encounter a charger or two that doesn't want to communicate with the app and only likes RFID Cards.

CYC/CPS Cards generally take a week to arrive so you wouldn't get that in time. But between the app, and other network's chargers like Instavolt that you can use your credit cards with (only really at the southern end of Scotland though) you should manage especially if you have a car with a decent battery capacity.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm just back from a week's holiday in Scotland. I charged on 6 different CPS chargers (rapid and fast) all using the CYC app. I only had a problem with one which required a remote restart (by the phone support people) then it worked fine. So it is possible to have a successful trip without the card...

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
I'm just back from a week's holiday in Scotland. I charged on 6 different CPS chargers (rapid and fast) all using the CYC app. I only had a problem with one which required a remote restart (by the phone support people) then it worked fine. So it is possible to have a successful trip without the card...
Just made a series of longish trips up and down Scotland WITHOUT RFID CARD. Of the seven tried with the APP, only two worked. But the telephone backup was ok but slow and a pain in the backs&Dr. Then I remembered I had an expired RFID card in my wallet. Got that authorised, pure bliss😁

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Can anyone reassure me about taking my ev to scotland in a couple of days time? I've got the cyc app which I thought was what I needed to use the public charge network but now I'm looking at the website properly it seems to say I need to apply for a card and pay £20? I don't really mind paying but due to set off Weds so card wouldn't arrive in time :/
Do chargers up the A9 work from the app? If they don't, is it still possible to use without a card if I call up maybe? I'm really worried and cursing that I didn't read this properly sooner
You could get the card sent to an address at your destination: will cover your return trip at least.🤓

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for replying. I can see there are quite a few options in the south but we're due to go all the way to Thurso and then Orkney. Everything beyond Pitlochry looks to be Charge place Scotland. I guess we will just have to try topping up at each one we pass!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just made a series of longish trips up and down Scotland WITHOUT RFID CARD. Of the seven tried with the APP, only two worked. But the telephone backup was ok but slow and a pain in the backs&Dr. Then I remembered I had an expired RFID card in my wallet. Got that authorised, pure bliss😁
Guess that reassures me a bit!

·
Registered
476 Posts
Thanks for replying. I can see there are quite a few options in the south but we're due to go all the way to Thurso and then Orkney. Everything beyond Pitlochry looks to be Charge place Scotland. I guess we will just have to try topping up at each one we pass!
I have just returned from Durness (to near Edinburgh). Obviously on the west rather than the east but the CYC chargers worked fine. I suggest that you aim for a rapid charger but keep sufficient SoC as contingency for a Plan B charger. Aviemore CYC worked well on Saturday afternoon. Most chargers on the east coast route are within mobile phone signal so the app (and helpdesk call) should work if needed.

Distances in Orkney are fairly short compared with a good number of chargers. I guess you already plan to take your Type 2 and granny cables for overnight charging.

Anyway, I'm confident charging will work well and I hope you have a great trip. Orkney is a fascinating place.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Have a word with Jonathan of eco cars. He lives on Orkney and delivers e cars all over the country. He will know what the situation is.

·
Registered
4,300 Posts
Just to point out that ChargePlace Scotland isn't your only option in Scotland, depending on where you're going...

In the central belt at least there are a lot of Instavolt units which are contactless, those are the ones I use most often and they are very reliable. I've also used Engenie, which also has contactless. There are a smattering of other networks as well.

Unless you're going to a fairly remote area (where there is only CPS) you may be able to make most of your journey on a mixture of other networks. CPS have wide coverage in Scotland but the mainenance of a lot of the units has really been left to rot by the councils that installed them - there are a lot of broken and out of order CPS chargers now, and where they are working there is usually only one per site and/or freeloaders hogging the chargers because they're free.

Often you can drive less than a mile up the road from a CPS charger with a queue of freeloaders to an Instavolt or Engenie which is available to use, as I recently had to do near Edinburgh. Sometimes paying 35p/kWh to immediately get onto a reliable charger without waiting is worth it, especially with family in tow!

Check Zap-Map and Plugshare on the anticipated route to see what other networks are available and try not to rely exclusively on CPS.

·
Registered
901 Posts
You'll be fine.

We went last year without the rfid card, only using the cyc app.

AC at Edinburgh Marriott we had to call to get a charge. AC at pitlochry was fine with the app. Couldn't get AC in Elgin to work, but Rapid in Nairn was fine. AC in Fort William we could not get to work. Rapid in Tyndrum was fine (well, using AC, CCS wouldn't talk to the model 3), AC in Oban was fine, Rapid in Dumbarton was fine.

·
Registered
4,300 Posts
You'll be fine.

We went last year without the rfid card, only using the cyc app.
Last year is a long time ago...

CPS have gone significantly downhill in the last year. I assume chargers are getting to an age when they really start to break down or suffer wear and tear (dropped connectors etc) and councils have no money to repair them in a timely fashion. Add on top of that lack of maintenance over the lockdown period and things are a bit grim at the moment.

Remember CPS don't own or maintain the chargers - they are just a back end authenticator. The chargers are all owned by a hodge podge of different local councils, many of whom don't give two hoots about EV's beyond getting the initial grant money for installation, and have not budgeted for ongoing maintenance. (Some key, remotely located chargers without nearby alternatives out of order for months at a time)

There are a couple of bright spots like the large hubs in Dundee and Perth, but overall its very spotty now.

I live in Scotland and if I was planning a longer trip in my Leaf I would not be relying on CPS unless I had plan B and C to fall back on, and I would be preferentially using networks like Instavolt where available even though I'm paying for that vs free for many CPS units.

Too many sites with only one rapid, too many chargers broken for too long and too many freeloaders.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I too have been to Scotland in the last few weeks. Tesla to Aviemore then 7 days outside the network. CYC app worked on and off but was impressed by the phone support (forgot to order a card). Remote starts were easy but my Model 3 didnt love the units. Took a granny cable for two overnight sessions plus used some Tesla Destinations too, which are mostly 7kw AC Type 2 and therefore could be helpful to you - surprising how a 2 hour lunch stop can help.
FYI Perth had a selection of chargers at the Supercharger location and a very new Ionity at the Starbucks.

·
Registered
635 Posts
These are all your 50kW+ options from Gretna to Thurso. Mainly CPS, but a few from other providers. Contactless payment available (indicated by symbol) on some units up to Ballinluig but not beyond there.

Shown in green are units available to use at time of posting. Red shows units which are not - during the Covid period, some made unavailable (CPS have been particularly good in keeping drivers informed).

Echo above comments - RFID card is best, if possible.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts