Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had an e-mail from Trasport Scotland today, indicating that they would very shortly be commissioning a further 200 chargepoints, many of them 'Rapid'.
That sounds like a huge boost and could make Scotland even more accessible for EV Tourism!
I certainly hope to head that way during the early summer 2014. My only concern will be that the prevalence of PAYG charging will make the trip rather expensive. However, that could make a good story!
One route that that I woukd find particularly appealing would be to find chargers on the A9, N of Perth. So if you live up there - do keep us posted?

·
Banned
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Please don't let them go the way of Milton Keynes' charging, reminds me of this:
Nice to see them, depressing they don't work or are ICEd all day... Scotland, learn from our stupid southern mistakes! :D
My experience at ASDA stores, in Scotland, suggests that Scottish motorists will be just as indifferent to EVs as folks down south.
However, as these posts are (I believe) being contracted by Transport Scotland - they may well have requirements for signage + penalties for infringement. If only OLEV had picked up this issue would could have had standardisation on signage and penalties.

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
According to Milton Keynes council a lot of their poor signage and positioning is due to the mandated regulations with regard signage height and positioning and "high visibility" of where the chargers have to go.

The IKEA and Electric Highway points seem to be best protected simply by being clear and overtly EV only (around here anyway).

Be good for them to introduce something similar for this next round in Scotland (green parking bays, high vis. signage, penalty notices etc.) All positive though.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,434 Posts
The only ones I have found to be ICEd are the Chargemaster ones at Asda stores although if you go to customer services they will put a call out for the drivers of the vehicles to go to customer services. The main other public ones I have used are at Park & Ride areas at Halbeath and Kinross. Perth Park & Ride at Broxden seems to be the only Rapid charges in the area but there is word that another will be located at the South Inch car park alongside the existing CYC fast chargers but as far as I know you still need to buy a parking ticket.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
I do think there is a simple way to stop or at very least reduce ICEing of spaces, stop putting them right outside the front door of the shops, put them in the back corner of the car park, I dont mind walking a mintue to the shop but intolerant idiots wont like it

·
Militant EV driver!
4,936 Posts
They did that in Portsmouth and they still get ICEd.

Whereas the ones Robert and I used last weekend we're typically near the entrance to the services building and not a single problem. Clear signage and £100 fines clearly work.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I do think there is a simple way to stop or at very least reduce ICEing of spaces, stop putting them right outside the front door of the shops, put them in the back corner of the car park, I dont mind walking a mintue to the shop but intolerant idiots wont like it
I thought that as well and I'm quite a lazy B____R but then I realized the costs that might be associated with providing and laying perhaps hundreds of yards of quite heavy duty cabling!

Big Paul

·
Registered
32 Posts
Good grief - wouldn't it be just great if Wales was as proactive as Scotland. Still a desert in Mid Wales.
Just sent another email today to my Assembly Member about the lack of electric charging in Wales in general and Mid Wales in particular. I do believe I mentioned how much better Scotland was!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts