Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
You can using android auto or CarPlay and from what I gather experimenting, it only works with you being plugged into the usb port. This is a right PITA, what is the point of a wireless charger if you have to plug a wire in which also charges your phone as a byproduct anyway? :rolleyes:

Only the standard set of Apps appeared on my CarPlay yesterday including Google Maps and Waze. Incidentally, Google maps in satellite view as a NAV Screen is quite cool although it can't zoom enough I don't think.

I haven't really looked yet but the Charge Point POI List I viewed yesterday looked fairly comprehensive around me. Were you planning on ZapMap for any specific reason?

·
Registered
649 Posts
Anybody know if you can screen mirror your phone to the niro screen. Handy to have zapmap mirrored from phone to niro screen. Looked at android auto but dont think zapmap is configured to work with android auto.
You can but you will have to root your phone and run an app called (from memory) AAMirror. You can also do something similar with an iphone and Apple Carplay but, again, you have to jailbreak the phone and run an app called (from memory) Carbridge. There are a number of youtube videos on how to do this for both android and ios but none of them are that simple.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Interesting that. My phone was rooted but I was then unable to do OTA updates and was stuck on Nougat. I finally got it back to unrooted and got it upgraded to Oreo. Now it looks like I have a good reason to go back to being rooted again.

Question, if you can get into engineering mode on the 10.25" head unit, would this allow installing Zapmap (and other apps) onto the head unit and remove the need for AAMirror ?

·
Registered
649 Posts
Interesting that. My phone was rooted but I was then unable to do OTA updates and was stuck on Nougat. I finally got it back to unrooted and got it upgraded to Oreo. Now it looks like I have a good reason to go back to being rooted again.
Yes, I had the same problem on my old phone which is one reason that I'm so reluctant to root my main one.

Question, if you can get into engineering mode on the 10.25" head unit, would this allow installing Zapmap (and other apps) onto the head unit and remove the need for AAMirror ?
I've been thinking that for a while, now. The infotainment systems use a modified version of Android (v4.2.2 I believe) and there is at least one Youtube video where a guy does exactly that. The trouble is that I'd be scared of bricking the whole system and, at the moment, I like my car as it is :D

We need more app developers to make thier apps usable on android auto.
It's not so much the app developers as Google that is the bottleneck. I can understand why Google wants to restrict what is available through Android Auto because they could, otherwise, be laying themselves open to some pretty hefty court cases. But they are also restricting alternative versions of their own apps (eg Navigation, I desperately want Sygic Maps) for pretty spurious reasons. I believe that an Italian company is putting a case to the EU along the lines of restrictive practices, it will be interesting to see how that pans out (particularly with DT sitting in the White House!).

·
Registered
31 Posts
Going into the engineering mode cannot brick it. It's a known procedure, which prompts you to enter the password (the clock time) after which you should be in. The only way that you could brick it would be if you started looking to root it or mess about with the core Android system.

As with any phone, if you install an incompatible app, it simply won't run, but cann have any adverse effect on the rest of the system.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts