Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2021 ID4 1st Mangan Grey with heat pump
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody found a supplier of a screen protector for the 10" navigation screen used in the ID3 and ID4.
I have tried 3 suppliers from Amazon (All in China)
1 Out of stock
2 Dispatched but apparently returned to them by customs ?
3 Ordered it then got an email saying customers complained it was not the correct size.
They are about to send me some plastic samples for me to try before I re-order.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,838 Posts
Has anybody found a supplier of a screen protector for the 10" navigation screen used in the ID3 and ID4.
I have tried 3 suppliers from Amazon (All in China)
1 Out of stock
2 Dispatched but apparently returned to them by customs ?
3 Ordered it then got an email saying customers complained it was not the correct size.
They are about to send me some plastic samples for me to try before I re-order.
Why do you want one, if you don’t mind me asking?

It’s not like you can drop the screen or anything, or damage it?

I keep a few disposable Zeiss lens wipe cloths in the car, give it a wipe occasionally with one of those.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

I keep a few disposable Zeiss lens wipe cloths in the car, give it a wipe occasionally with one of those.
Thanks for the reply. I don't yet have the car but every video I have seen shows the screen full of finger prints and was hoping it would help.

·
Premium Member
6,838 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I don't yet have the car but every video I have seen shows the screen full of finger prints and was hoping it would help.
Yes, the screen can look a bit full of finger prints when switched off, but despite the claims of some of these screen protectors being ‘finger print resistant’ etc, I always seem to have to clean them anyway!

·
Registered
Volkswagen ID.3 Life
2,729 Posts
You only see the fingerprints when its very new or very clean. After that, it's not noticeable.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, the screen can look a bit full of finger prints when switched off, but despite the claims of some of these screen protectors being ‘finger print resistant’ etc, I always seem to have to clean them anyway!
Thanks again.
After your advice I think I will wait and see.

·
Registered
ID.4 :-)
181 Posts
Get a micro fibre cloth and keep it in the glove box. That'll do the job.
I agree ... I've had my ID.4 for four days now - the finger prints on the infotainment system are only really visible when it starts up, and most of the screen is black with the "1st Edition Logo", it won't get scratched (it's not like a phone in your pocket), and from my experience screen protectors on phones, only go to "deaden" the responsiveness.

The Issue of finger prints is more of an issue / more visible on the shiny internal door grab handles !

·
Registered
30 Posts
Agree with above comments - a microfiber cloth is good to have to hand and then occasionally clean it with a glass cleaner. 👍

·
Registered
20 Posts
And.... the car comes with a micro fibre cloth in a little carrying case just for the purpose of keeping things shiny!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I agree ... I've had my ID.4 for four days now - the finger prints on the infotainment system are only really visible when it starts up, and most of the screen is black with the "1st Edition Logo", it won't get scratched (it's not like a phone in your pocket), and from my experience screen protectors on phones, only go to "deaden" the responsiveness.

The Issue of finger prints is more of an issue / more visible on the shiny internal door grab handles !
When you got your new ID4 did it come with any free miles (Charging)? Is it connected to internet data and for how long? Any more freebees? Mine will be delivered in 4 weeks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
No free charging credit, there are options to pay for internet data and you might get a month free but I think the number of Gbytes is low. Other freebees: the ID socks, a light up USB cable and something that might be flower seeds!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Just watched a video and it said that the ID4 1st edition UK does not have wireless phone charging? Can you confirm if this is true please.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Correct - it Does NOT have wireless phone charging ... :-(
Appreciate the information.
Beginning to think I have made a mistake. All I have to look forward to is a new pair of socks?

·
Registered
ID.4 :-)
181 Posts
Appreciate the information.
Beginning to think I have made a mistake. All I have to look forward to is a new pair of socks?
I've not tried out the socks yet, the USB lead that comes with the socks - lights up blue !

The car is very nice to drive ... and I like it ... I did list in another post - my "like's and dislikes" about the car (after about day 4) ... I've now had it 8 days ... so to add to that list previously ...

Likes (over and above what I wrote before)
  • The ACC system is a "step up" from the Golf, adjusting to speed in crawling traffic is a vast improvement, accurate, sensitive and makes traffic jams a "pleasure" (if you can use that term in the context of being stuck in slow moving London traffic).
  • The audio system is good/nice, sounds premium / good, MP3 playback
  • Charging is good, I've used Rapid's, free-pod points and my home Ohme
  • LED windscreen light and colour changing LED's inside are a nice touch (I though they would be a gimmick) but I like them !
  • Seats and arm-rest are comfortable.

Dislikes
  • The voice ID system is BAD / it's like a 1980's version of Google in development !
  • The We Connect App, is inaccurate and poor (I won't be paying for any on-line connectivity beyond the free 3 years, if this is what you get!)
  • The shiny plastic, shows up finger prints on door handles etc
  • The lack of wireless charging although there are easy options of installing a mat in the space etc
  • The general lack of storage space (no under seat draws), a laughably small glove box !
  • The infotainment system is ok 8/10 - but it does "lag" occasionally and icons, vanish before re-appearing again !

Still to do / investigate further
- Get Android Auto fully working, but first impressions are it's good / works well - using Google maps, and Media Monkey for audio playback (although it can't seek through tracks on the infotainment system).

·
Registered
1 Posts
I learned this the hard way. The other day I loaded some building material (yes I know ID.3 is not a cargo vehicle) into the car. It was long and I had to slide it to the right of the infotainment console. On my way home I picked up some groceries and when I loaded them I gently pushed the building material. Unfortunately it had slided in front of the infotainment screen and I heard a sound of something cracking. Now I need a new screen. It comes as a complete replacement of the console and not only the glass, and it costs 25.000 NOK (approx 2500 EUR) :-( Now the money I kept under my pillow is gone :-(

·
Premium Member
6,838 Posts
I learned this the hard way. The other day I loaded some building material (yes I know ID.3 is not a cargo vehicle) into the car. It was long and I had to slide it to the right of the infotainment console. On my way home I picked up some groceries and when I loaded them I gently pushed the building material. Unfortunately it had slided in front of the infotainment screen and I heard a sound of something cracking. Now I need a new screen. It comes as a complete replacement of the console and not only the glass, and it costs 25.000 NOK (approx 2500 EUR) :-( Now the money I kept under my pillow is gone :-(
Ouch! 😕

Is there nowhere that could source and replace the screen only?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts