Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems we need a strong screen wash for our EV because there's no assistance from engine heat to keep the jets free of ice.
Mr. EV on You Tube recommended Prestone, but at £9 per litre for the -18C version on Amazon, that does seem a bit steep.
Living in Scotland, so even with global warming we do need something that works well at low temperatures.

I did find this one (Skdmrks) at "only" £4.20 per litre for a claimed -20C performance. Anyone tried it? Any good choices out there?

·
Registered
2016 Nissan LEAF SL
1,104 Posts
I just buy the cheap Triple QX scented stuff in the big bottles every time Euro Car Parts have their sales or promos on. I follow the standard dilution instructions for the summer, but when it gets cold I just use a much stronger mix. It does a good job at clearing the windscreen, has never frozen on me, and is cheap enough where you don't need to worry about not diluting it down when it's especially cold.

Unlike some of the other fluids I've tried, it doesn't seem to stain or leave gunk on the paintwork either. Even if not watered down (where it even seems to handle a bit below the -7°C quoted on the bottle)

And as an added bonus, it smells nice!

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
most stuff you buy in supermarkets etc is crap even when used neat

motorfactors usually sell better stuff (though not always)

I also bought Triple QX stuff this year and its seemed to be fine.

I usually run 50:50 in winter, but depending where you are you might want to go even stonger.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys!
Triple QX looks the one. Unfortunately CarParts won't deliver it due to safety issues, but I got it off Amazon for a reasonable price. One less thing to fret about...

·
Registered
35 Posts
try Quantum screenwash.

Genuine VW/AUDI product. nice quality, never had a problem with freezing/gumming up.
(y)

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
I use Halfords ready-mixed, red version during the winter, and blue version during spring and autumn - in summer I might dilute the blue version being a bit of a miser.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
1,687 Posts
This is what I use (my understanding is, it is the same as VW original):
Holts screenwash

·
Registered
56 Posts
One thing that really annoyed me about screenwash when I had a white car, was how much colouring there is in them, especially the pre-mixed stuff. Used to get horrible blue streaks all over the paintwork especially with the rear window washer. I'm sure there is a reason for it, probably to discourage kids from drinking it or something, but it's a bit excessive sometimes. I've got a dark red metallic car now, so don't really notice it as much.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts