Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
ID.4 :-)
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just looking at a Granny cable for my VW ID.4 (on order, due soon) - will be for "emergencies/occasional use" and not regular daily use.

I saw that Screwfix do a couple of options (5m and 10m cables) for their Masster-plug offering - they seam a very good price. Just wondered what peoples opinions of these are? any good? worth getting one?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I wouldn't have any concerns about something from a brand like Screwfix - the only differences in Grannies is whether you can manually select the current - this could potentially be useful if charging from a dubious outlet.
Do VW not include one?

·
Registered
ID.4 :-)
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wouldn't have any concerns about something from a brand like Screwfix - the only differences in Grannies is whether you can manually select the current - this could potentially be useful if charging from a dubious outlet.
Do VW not include one?
Thanks - From the looks of it - I don't think the current is selectable.

The ID.4 comes with a Type2 to Type2, but not listed as having one. I understand a limited number of First Edition ID.3's were shipped with a Granny cable as well as a Type2, but the majority didn't. But I think that was the exception (being included), and not expecting one with my ID.4.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,661 Posts

The ID.4 comes with a Type2 to Type2, but not listed as having one. I understand a limited number of First Edition ID.3's were shipped with a Granny cable as well as a Type2, but the majority didn't. But I think that was the exception (being included), and not expecting one with my ID.4.
On the ID.3, you can select reduced charging current both in car and on the App, it should be on the ID.4 as well.

Selecting reduced charging current on the granny drops it to something like 1.2kW according to my Ohme box, which on my car is a mere 48 hours to recharge...

I think charge times are why they’re not including them as standard now, along with general cost cutting I suppose.

I use the granny from my old e-Golf when on work trips, works fine albeit slowly.

·
Registered
VW ID.3 Family edition
91 Posts
Do VW not include one?
VW don't provide a granny cable as standard on series model ID.3s so would not be surprised to find out that the same was true for the ID.4 (unless it was a first edition perk like on some ID.3s).

The ID.3 charging screen has an option marked "Reduce charging current" for AC charging, so I'd expect the ID.4 to also have this. Not used the option myself, but I am considering a granny cable for emergencies, when we are able to travel further afield again.

·
Registered
Elmo Referral: AdamT50 (£50 off one month for both of us)
280 Posts
I believe you are correct, it is set at 10A. I had a look at these too, but can't justify the cost just for "what ifs". Someone should do Grannies for Hire...

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
I've had a very thorough look at (and in) the Masterplug fixed 10 portable charge point that Screwfix sell. In my view it's very good value for money, probably one of the cheapest portable charge points available that has a genuine EU/UK safety approval. Obviously it's not as well made, in terms of robustness and weatherproofing as one of the brand name units that sell for two or three times the price, but it seems perfectly OK for what it is. The only slight question mark I'd raise (and this also applies to quite a few other portable charge points) is that it's really only rain and splash proof, and probably won't tolerate being sat in a puddle. Like all these units, I'd be inclined to raise it off the ground on something like a brick, and perhaps cover it with a bucket, if using it outdoors regularly.

There are a lot of potentially dodgy portable charge points available from some places though. I came across one a year tor so ago that ran at 16 A, even though it only had a (very dodgy) 13 A plug, for example. It seems that the likes of Amazon and eBay don't do any checks at all on whether items being sold as being "UK specification" really are.

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
If you get one from screwfix, make sure it's Type-2, not Type-1!

·
Registered
280 Posts

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
I've simply tucked my portable EVSE well under the car when it's been wet, making sure that the area isn't going to become a puddle of course! :) And any extension sockets etc also well tucked under. You can perch it on top of a tyre, if the socket's close by!

·
Registered
280 Posts
I read a tip once.

Put the brick on the wheel under the wheel arch, that will keep it dry!
I've simply tucked my portable EVSE well under the car when it's been wet, making sure that the area isn't going to become a puddle of course! :) And any extension sockets etc also well tucked under. You can perch it on top of a tyre, if the socket's close by!
I know I'm going to need it two or three times this year - my only concern is not knowing how far the plug socket is from the car (and whether the socket is outside or inside), and the Masterplug's 3-Pin to EVSE Box is quite short.

It's possible the box would always be inside anyway - just can't guarantee it.

Can't really believe the price of it from Screwfix if I'm honest - and the fact it's 10m for £160 and a two year warranty. It's almost double the price from Argos. Used 5m ones go on eBay for £120-ish!

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
AFAIK it only offers 10A to the car & that's it, you can't reduce to 6A on the box itself. There's a risk with running granny EVSEs at 10A for long periods, I've burnt out 2 sockets myself doing this, both "decent-looking", new ones, so now I try to only use 6A, and maybe 8A if urgent. If your EV can select 6A (ID.3 can, Ampera 2013 can, doubtless others...) you'ld be wise to do this. If it can't, I'd recommend getting one that can be 6A selected.

·
Registered
Corsa-e 2020
545 Posts
I purchased this granny charger last year as I had to wait about 6 weeks for my PodPoint to be fitted. I used it regularly to charge the car with no probems whatsoever. I also take it with me on longer journeys to charge up when visitning family.

You can't adjust the Ampage. However, I only ever used it in my garage and occasionalyy outdoors but with the EVSE case just inside and protected from rain. I can recommend it.

·
Registered
280 Posts
AFAIK it only offers 10A to the car & that's it, you can't reduce to 6A on the box itself. There's a risk with running granny EVSEs at 10A for long periods, I've burnt out 2 sockets myself doing this, both "decent-looking", new ones, so now I try to only use 6A, and maybe 8A if urgent. If your EV can select 6A (ID.3 can, Ampera 2013 can, doubtless others...) you'ld be wise to do this. If it can't, I'd recommend getting one that can be 6A selected.
I purchased this granny charger last year as I had to wait about 6 weeks for my PodPoint to be fitted. I used it regularly to charge the car with no probems whatsoever. I also take it with me on longer journeys to charge up when visitning family.

You can't adjust the Ampage. However, I only ever used it in my garage and occasionalyy outdoors but with the EVSE case just inside and protected from rain. I can recommend it.

Cheers for the heads ups. I don't think the ZE50 can limit the incoming current, it looks like it just takes what it's given.

I don't think I'd ever use it at home, we have a couple of 3.6kW and 7kW chargers in close proximity, it's more one-offs if we go away overnight and can't charge "properly" nearby.

Do many chargers have selectable current settings on them - or 6A? All the ones I've found so far are set at 10A.

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
evconnectors.com for one. And I think that "Kopp" EVSE gets re-branded & used by some OEMs as well?

·
Registered
280 Posts
evconnectors.com for one. And I think that "Kopp" EVSE gets re-branded & used by some OEMs as well?
Ah yes, I'd seen the Evconnectors one but it didn't mention you could change the current. Looks like it's the Kopp charger anyway. Found one from ThirdRockEnergy for £190 (7m, and has a better IP rating) so may look at that as well. Edit: Just noticed it's "Waterpoor IP67". Ha.

Much appreciated!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts