Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I seem to be having issues with the SD Card Slot in my 14 plate Zoe. If I try to push it in, it will push itself back out, almost as if there is something spongy inside the slot, or possibly that there's a bent pin or something.

Occasionally when I push it in it'll stay there for a while, and the maps will come on, but gradually it will work itself out again.

I bought the car second-hand last July, and when I got it I removed the card to perform an update, but it took me a while to get it out, and feeling around the slot it felt like it had been glued into place, so it looks like the issue might have preceded my ownership, and the previous owners remedy was to permanently glue it into place!

Has anybody else had a similar issue with their cards? And would anybody know it it's even possible to replace the SD Card slot?

·
Co-author of CanZE. Q210 nov 2013
4,405 Posts
In mine, the mechanism holding the card in also broke about a year ago. I know this sounds very red-neck, but I had a look and it was too much to fix and I didn't even bother to ask the price of the part (too expensive anyway), so I folded a cut-to-size business card over the top of the card and shoved it in with "measured violence";) Fixed. And yes, removable with some prying.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
In mine, the mechanism holding the card in also broke about a year ago. I know this sounds very red-neck, but I had a look and it was too much to fix and I didn't even bother to ask the price of the part (too expensive anyway), so I folded an cut-to-size business card over the top of the card and shoved it in with "measured violence";) Fixed. And yes, removable with some prying.
A 'Blue Peter' fix (y)

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
This could sound like a daft question...
Why on earth you keep taking the card in and out??
On Leaf the SD card is for the sat-nav system so I never touch it.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
In the Zoe the SD card is usually used to update or add any apps, including sat-nav, updates require the SD card to be put into your PC apart from the few smaller OTA updates.

Reactions: yoh-there and husoi

·
Registered
96 Posts
Our Zoe is of similar vintage and had the same problem. I managed to dismantle the unit and adjusted the clip that retains the card, but the card would still occasionally eject. I used the the wedge solution for a time, but was concerned that if it vibrated out at the wrong time the card could be corrupted and have to be replaced at considerable expense.
I was quoted £114 for replacement slot unit, but got one from a local Renault breakers for £40.
I recently had problems with the original card doing the essential date problem update, but fortunately, the duplicate backup I made some time ago, thanks to @Sandy, is now in use and working OK.

·
Zoe Devotee
8,950 Posts
A 'Blue Peter' fix (y)
No sticky back plastic or prit stick so that's a fail from me.

Why on earth you keep taking the card in and out??
On Leaf the SD card
Because Nissan never update.... Renault, albeit surprisingly do. ;)

Reactions: yoh-there and Mo1

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
No sticky back plastic or prit stick so that's a fail from me.
Cardboard business card used, the sticky back plastic and Pritt stick were only adhesives :p

Reactions: yoh-there

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Our Zoe is of similar vintage and had the same problem. I managed to dismantle the unit and adjusted the clip that retains the card, but the card would still occasionally eject. I used the the wedge solution for a time, but was concerned that if it vibrated out at the wrong time the card could be corrupted and have to be replaced at considerable expense.
I was quoted £114 for replacement slot unit, but got one from a local Renault breakers for £40.
I recently had problems with the original card doing the essential date problem update, but fortunately, the duplicate backup I made some time ago, thanks to @Sandy, is now in use and working OK.
My daughters car has the same problem.
How did you remove the SD card holder?

·
Registered
124 Posts
My car developed the same fault in the last week. I'm yet to try the wedge a bit of card fix, the card will read if I hold it in though.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
I was able to remove and repair it.

The gearstick console area just pulls up and then I could see that the SD card holder will just pull out without actually needing to lift the console. Just needs a plastic knife under the bezel to lever it out or push from behind if console is lifted first.
Two plugs to unclip and then after popping the back off the module, slide the PCB out of the case.

I found that the latch was malfunctioning because there is a tiny bit of springy steel to the right hand rear of the SD card carrier that needed pressing to increase its pressure on the mechanism.

After unsoldering the left hand side of the SD card metal casing and lifting it a bit, I found that the tiny spring steel lever could be pre-bent inwards which increased the pressure on the mechanism enough to make it work again.

I am used to working on electronics and don't expect anyone to try that if they are not used to unsoldering/soldering tiny connections. There are no actual electrical connections to re-solder but the thin metalcover is soldered to the board.

After re-soldering the casing back down it all clipped back together and works.

Reactions: yoh-there

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have just bought a new USB/SD Card unit from Renault as my USB slot was knackered. It did cost £125, which is very expensive. I have the old unit to sell if anyone is interested as the SD Card works fine

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have just bought a new USB/SD Card unit from Renault as my USB slot was knackered. It did cost £125, which is very expensive. I have the old unit to sell if anyone is interested as the SD Card works fine
Is it something that could easily be replaced if I got a working second hand one or a brand new one?

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Yes really easy as it will just lever out using a plastic knife. See my post above.

Reactions: Iceman10
1 - 15 of 15 Posts