Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
ID3
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here’s a fun test you can try, poke the roof of your iD3 just in front of the Ariel fin. Turns out it’s barely attached to anything and wobbles a lot.
The front of the car is plenty stable enough to use one of these racks but I’m not confident the back of the car won’t get damaged. If you are using road bikes which are no where near as long as modern mtb, you would probably get away with it as 30cm further forwards the roof is a lot more stable. Let’s hope I can return it 😆

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
9,520 Posts
Don't VW say to attach nothing to the roof for this very reason?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Did you try near the side rather than the middle, the roof may be more stable/supported/stronger at the side.

·
Registered
ID3
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Don't VW say to attach nothing to the roof for this very reason?
I’m not sure why vw say not to, they didn’t expand. Lots of cars that don’t support roof racks officially work fine with sea suckers 🤷‍♂️ was worth a punt and I’m unlikely to loose money as I got a good deal on it even if I have to sell it.
Would one of the ones that clips onto the hatch work?
I’m not sure about that, the spoiler section is all plastic. Sarris do a rack where instead of clips you get weights on the end of the webbing straps, dangle them in to the car then shut the boot. Looks fiddly but better than nothing I guess.
Did you try near the side rather than the middle, the roof may be more stable/supported/stronger at the side.
It’s a good shout though it will be a shame to not get three bikes on. Two is better than nothing I guess. I hope I can make it work, I like the idea of a rack I can throw on my mates cars too.

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
Trying to avoid as it’s a lease. It was one of the cheap December pre reg so I got what was available.
Bit of thread drift (though I’m also interested in carrying bikes and in the same situation as you...) was your order through UK Car Line too and which software version did your car arrive with? Mine is due on Wednesday and it would be very helpful to know!

·
Registered
VW Passat GTE
676 Posts
I’m not sure why vw say not to, they didn’t expand. Lots of cars that don’t support roof racks officially work fine with sea suckers 🤷‍♂️
It can damage the roof if it subjects it to a force that the designers didn't have in mind when making the car. Stick something heavy onto the roof and take a corner quickly, and your load will apply an extra twisting motion that they won't have designed for. Hit a pot hole and your load will apply an extra vertical motion that they won't have designed for. Likewise, something tall getting hit by a gust of wind will lift the roof in ways that they hadn't designed for. The roof should take a fair amount of static load, it's what happens when you're bouncing down the road that's interesting.

Will a bike mounted like that damage the roof in reality? 🤷‍♂️ Only two ways to find out, and neither of them are fun.

·
Registered
ID3
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bit of thread drift (though I’m also interested in carrying bikes and in the same situation as you...) was your order through UK Car Line too and which software version did your car arrive with? Mine is due on Wednesday and it would be very helpful to know!
If it’s one of the December pre reg it will probably have 0564, that’s what mine had (I think) Not through UK Car Line though. I tried to get it updated before handover but the pre reg cars were all basically sat in a field near a port somewhere 😆 Local vw garage were happy to help though visibly frazzled from how busy they were.

·
Registered
iD.3 Family, Stonewashed Blue, Heatpump, Ankoya Alloys.
236 Posts
We had car delivered through UKCarline and it came with 0564 software. We are booked into Lincoln VW for update on 12th April, courtesy car supplied.

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
Thanks both. It's as I feared then... will wait for it to arrive then put Beadles Bromley to the test!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts