Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
KIA e-Niro 4+ MY 2022 Runway Red & 5yr service plan
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone found a way of removing the bleached marks that were caused by seagull poo on my beautiful piano black paintwork of my i3. The BMW dealership has suggested the Body Shop polishes it out, and I then hard wax it. I was devastated when having only done 600miles a seagull poo-ed on it, and then again today a pigeon left a white mark and I've been left with the same bleached paintwork.

·
Premium Member
2014 Model S
8,776 Posts
Black paint is rubbish for gathering marks unfortunately. It's softer than other colours. I'd talk to a detailer rather than a body shop. The diamond brite ceramic type coatings are supposed to be a bit tougher but fruity bird poo is evil stuff.

Cheap way might be to try polishing it with colour magic black polish stuff that turtle wax do. If that takes it out then wax over the top and keep it waxed.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I would definitely recommend finding a decent local detailer who can do a protection detail a couple of times a year - if you want to keep your paintwork in tip top condition then they are well worth the money. Were you able to get the bird droppings off immediately or was it on the car for a few days - I'm surprised that it's damaged the paintwork if you got it off quickly, that's a bit worrying! Also I always carry a pack of wipes specifically for removing these things:

Autoglym Bird Dropping Car Wipes x10

As long as you're very gentle when using them they tend to get it all off with no damage to the paintwork.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
7,899 Posts
My wife's A3 paint, a non metallic black, was permanently damaged by bird muck.

No amount of polishing or waxing ever completely got rid of the mark, albeit the bird droppings were left on there for a week or so.

My own car got 'seagulled' whilst near the coast, and I'd have needed several packs of those wipes to get it off, there was loads!

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Seagulls are absolute bastards, my hatred for those animals is pretty complete, they shit all over my mums corsa when we were down in Ilfracombe a year or so back I had to wash the car 3 times in the week to prevent paint damage, the damn things are protected as well so you cant touch them, I even had to put up with nesting seagulls on a holiday property once (the noise at 5 am was insidious) and the penalties for messing with nesting birds is even more severe.

Top tip is dont rub it off, all bird poo should be soaked before its removed and if possible remove it with pressurised water as there is often grit in bird poo along with other paint damaging chemicals, I keep a bottle of 10% car soap to 90% water in a pump spray bottle, it works geat, soak for 5 mins then blast it off.

To give you an idea how repulsive these animals are my brother as a kid worked for the local council and he regularly saw seagulls eating shit out of discarded nappies :eek: and at woolacombe this year they were dive bombing people on the beach literally clawing food out of people hands.

Good luck getting it removed.

·
The best there is at what I do
10,874 Posts
Black paint is rubbish for gathering marks unfortunately. It's softer than other colours. I'd talk to a detailer rather than a body shop. The diamond brite ceramic type coatings are supposed to be a bit tougher but fruity bird poo is evil stuff.

Cheap way might be to try polishing it with colour magic black polish stuff that turtle wax do. If that takes it out then wax over the top and keep it waxed.

If it's lacquered I wouldn't use colour magic

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 Ultimate
2,641 Posts
Whilst seagulls are protected they are regularly runover by cars here. Although it seems to be only locals cars that do this. Its a complete mystery.

Reactions: TWH8

·
Registered
56 Posts
I used to live in Bristol, back in my student days, and it was ridiculous there. I swear they had a gps tracker on my car - every time I washed it, within an hour it would be covered in sh*t!

·
Registered
133 Posts
When ever i visit a mate in Bristol Clifton I leave the car near the edges of the park and I haven't ever got away with not washing the car on Sunday morning in a do it yourself car wash and blast all that muck off........

·
Registered
56 Posts
How about getting paint protection film fitted to key areas like roof and bonnet?
A good protection detail should achieve the same effect (won't necessarily help so much with stone chips etc... but will be cheaper), but yes, if you can stretch to it then protection film is always a good shout, or go a bit further and try a different colour! (I love the red they seem to have in the US!)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
An update on the seagull damage to my black bonnet.

Firstly thank you for all your advice. I made enquiries to BMW UK, my BMW dealership, 3M vinyl wraps, and looked on the web at Detailers' Galleries of stunning cars. I then tried to ignore my poorly paintwork, but I couldn't. So I went back to my local BMW dealership and was assured they would be able to get it out. Booked it in a couple of weeks ago, and they have performed a MIRACLE. The damage is completely gone. Obviously they have access to all the professional lotions, waxes and polishes. I'm told that the damage extended to the paintwork being pitted as well as bleached, but it's all gone. They also gave it a light protective wax, and explained what I should do next.

So as advised I have washed it with Autoglym Bodywork Shampoo Conditioner, and ensured it is meticulously clean and then applied Autoglym Super Resin Polish. The following week another Autoglym Bodywork Shampoo Conditioner, then applied Autoglym High Definition Wax. Wow. I'm elated. Fabulous paintwork. I am told I have to regularly reapply the High Definition Wax to increase the protection, as far as any paintwork can be protected from bird lime etc.

That said, I am NOT prepared to test it with another seagull.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Usually what is done with these marks is they are wet sanded out of the lacquer. As the poo etches into the lacquer there are no potions that will cut hard enough to get you back down to good lacquer. Glad you got it fixed, I have the same issue on my vehicle and sanding is the only option :cry:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sanding? Really, are you sure? That sounds a bit extreme. Wouldn't polishing be a good first step? And are your BMW Body Shop people able to assure you that their proposed sanding will get it out?

·
The best there is at what I do
10,874 Posts
Sanding? Really, are you sure? That sounds a bit extreme. Wouldn't polishing be a good first step? And are your BMW Body Shop people able to assure you that their proposed sanding will get it out?
A lot of cars are sanded after they have been sprayed after a repair, 2000 wet and dry is very fine, after sanding the area is polished with various grades of cutting compound/polish to bring out the shine. The paint on the i3 is quite special and also quite expensive.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts