Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So....the Niros 'search charger' and 'show nearest charger' functions are broken. Doesn't list 70% of what's there (zapmap comparison), and doesn't take your satnav route, service station etc into account..

I think Kia should just use zapmap tbh. At least then you'd also get a reasonable determination of status.

·
Registered
E-Niro 64kWh '4' since 9/20 (was Prius)
560 Posts
Yup. It’s completely useless as far as I’m concerned. I have several great Engie free vend rapids within 4 miles it doesn’t even show one if them. I can’t imagine ever using that feature.

Peter

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,104 Posts
I think the fault this time is not with Kia, but TomTom? As far as I know the whole navigation system is bought direct from them, as well as maps and POIs.

You know there is a button in the navigation to mark a new speed camera. Is there a way to submit charger locations like the speed cameras to TomTom?

Also, someone mentioned that the latest "purple" version supports filtering between AC and DC chargers...

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20
488 Posts
It’s weirdly inconsistent. There’s an instavolt rapid near me that is shown some days, missing entirely others.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Idiotzoo, a possibility maybe, when you look and the charger is missing, do you do the search before the live services have activated?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Yup. It’s completely useless as far as I’m concerned. ..... I can’t imagine ever using that feature.
I agree, it's p*** poor. It shows my nearest charger at the local tram station and there has NEVER been a charger there. Absolute rubbish, no point taking up space on the display 😠

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
You know there is a button in the navigation to mark a new speed camera. Is there a way to submit charger locations like the speed cameras to TomTom?
Some of these questions are rhetorical, not aimed at you ;)

It’s a great idea in theory but flawed in practice. Delegating the updating of maps to the great unwashed relies on the great unwashed being capable of doing it properly and nobody else deciding to create mayhem by submitting garbage. The question you then ask is, would it be any worse than the out of date data that is available currently? Who knows?

If you look at the likes of PlugShare and ZapMap, it probably worked quite well in the early days with limited numbers of highly engaged and diligent users. I started updating PlugShare in the early days for instance but the novelty has worn off now partly due to limited ‘away from home’ charging. I never touched ZapMap as I’m not going to maintain two systems. Now you want me to update TomTom’s system, where does it end?

And the final bugbear of mine under this model, you want me to work for nothing to update your SatNav maps so you can charge me even more money for buying and using your SatNav? Hmmmm, how about you formally contract with me and pay me per update for my work? Or I get free for life, regular map updates OTA in exchange for my updates?

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
356 Posts
Have to agree it's useless. Calling it Kia Live Services is a bad joke. Sat outside my house, it shows my nearest charger as being the ecotricity at Ferrybridge services, 7 miles away at the crow flies. There are several chargers closer than that, including a podpoint at my local Aldi, 300 yards away, that has been there for more than a year since the day the store opened. They have added a filter in the latest update to the firmware, but if you filter shite, you get filtered shite. It's still shite. Really surprised at TomTom though, I always thought they were a quality name is the business.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Jeeze, I live on the edge of a canyon that has a golf course in it. When I put my address in, it will take me to my home... when I store it as my home address, the street number and street is correct, but it's now located across the canyon on a different street. The street has been there for 25 years.

So I cannot say "go home" because it goes to the other side of the canyon, a 1/2 mile by driving.

Junk

·
Registered
560 Posts
.......but if you filter shite, you get filtered shite. It's still shite. Really surprised at TomTom though, I always thought they were a quality name is the business.
Love it. That made me ROFL 👍
In the early days TomTom was well respected as there wasn’t much competition around. Now their stuff is probably the worst available anywhere. Infamously their map updates are always many years out of date even when they are just freshly released. It’s very unlikely I’ll ever use the crap nav system in this car. Free ones on my phone are just so very much better, in every respect. Google maps is my go to nowadays.
At the moment, I intend to avoid the purple update, unless we discover there’s something else really good in it.

Trouble is if we start refusing to accept updates going forwards, could there may be some good improvements or bug fixes etc, to the cars functional system software that we might miss out on?
Peter

·
Registered
560 Posts
I find it amusing whilst sitting at one of my local Engie chargers, sucking up some nice free juice and reading on my brand new cars display screen that my nearest charger is 7 miles away in a different a town!!
Utter pants!

·
Registered
366 Posts
Agree, had TomTom in my 2 Fiat EV's the first was a unit on a stalk that bluetoothed into the car's system. Maps were junk, routing was junk, POI databases were junk.

The first one did not even have my street in it.

How the mighty have frallen!

Greg

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
356 Posts
I should have been prepared on reflection because when I think back, TomTom were rubbish. The unit in my previous car, Peugeot 3008 was a TomTom unit and its live traffic service was far worse than Waze. Used to head south via A1/A14 while the massive road works were on (not been since lockdown, are they done yet?). Waze was very good at seeing the night closures and re-routing right back from the A1. TomTom, nah, not so good.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro MY20 64 kWh - Gravity Blue
447 Posts
I agree it's not the best but I find using Google Maps with Android Auto a pain, since Android Auto takes over the screen (with the incorrect screen size to boot) and you can therefore not run other widgets (like media or the EV widget) in parallel. It would be cool if Android Auto could be run like a widget that occupies 2/3 of the screen.

·
Registered
366 Posts
There are some posts on Youtube that "open up" the Android system to allow you to install basically any app you want, that would be a way to go. I watched several, and it's a bit complex, but appears to work. Don't know why they restrict this except to avoid service calls when people put bad apps in.

Greg

·
Registered
277 Posts
RE: Updates, I think it WILL get better as it has to, AIUI both BMW and Renault contract to TomTom for these charging locations, so ... I'd expect it to improve just from demand from ALL the manufacturers, not just Kia.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,104 Posts
I just discovered the "Live" search. Once you are in the "Search Stations" screen, give it some time and in the top left corner (just under Back and Home buttons), "Live" search shows up.

If you click it, you get a list of chargers that are described in a way similar to Zap-Map: network (seen Instavolt, Polar, CYC), type (AC/DC), includes payment (I have seen only card for now). Also, each charger had a dot against it, with one of 3 colours: white, red and green?!?! Possible live info? Or simply charger compatibility/speed?

Still no filter that I can see.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Ha, I decided to do a quick splash and dash charge today. Whilst I was sat there pressing buttons etc I also discovered the live button. After pressing that suddenly I had loads more chargers showing. The nearest was 30yards away so maybe that was the one I was using. It wasn’t obvious from the description on the list presented.

Peter

Reactions: Todor
1 - 18 of 18 Posts