Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

I am planning to do a two-week road trip with my Kona EV (64kWh) from Germany to the northern coast of Scotland in August 2020.
Now I am trying to figure out what is the best way to pay for charging.

I do have a smartphone with a Vodafone contract, but I want to avoid a lot of roaming cost.
I also know that there may be chargers where my phone may not have reception.
I do have a German bank account and have heard that some providers will only accept local bank accounts.
I will also provide a credit card.

So now my optimum solution would be a provider that will work with phone but also send me an RFID to Germany.
The provider should have fair rates.
Most of all the provider should work with most charging stations no matter what network they belong to.

Any suggestions?

Thank you for your support!

Guido

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
So now my optimum solution would be a provider that will work with phone but also send me an RFID to Germany.
If they won't send an RFID card to Germany, you could just have it sent to wherever your first UK accommodation will be.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I'd like to think Instavolt works with your German bank card... but don't know - no app, RFID or account required then
Set up a CYC account & put the app on your phone, i found this to work in Scotland, at the charge place Scotland sites - in lieu of the RFID card & you can also call up to start a charge

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If they won't send an RFID card to Germany, you could just have it sent to wherever your first UK accommodation will be.
Coming from Dover our first stay will be in Manchaster. I will likely already have 3 charge stops before I get there.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd like to think Instavolt works with your German bank card... but don't know - no app, RFID or account required then
Set up a CYC account & put the app on your phone, i found this to work in Scotland, at the charge place Scotland sites - in lieu of the RFID card & you can also call up to start a charge
So does ChargeYourCar work with all networks e.g. Polar, ecotricity, ubitricity, instavolt, etc.?

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
So does ChargeYourCar work with all networks e.g. Polar, ecotricity, ubitricity, instavolt, etc.?
Unfortunately not. One thing you will have to watch is if your bank has any per transaction foreign currency fees as with Ecotricity (via their app) and instavolt you will be getting a separate small bank transaction each time you charge. For Polar Instant (app based), PodPoint (app based) and GeniePoint (app or RFID based) you pay upfront (usually £10 or £20) and then top up as you go along (GeniePoint does this automatically every time your balance with them goes negative).

Welcome to the confusion of the UK car charging non-network!!

Have you found Zap-Map, which gives locations of most public charging points?

·
Registered
416 Posts
Surely there will be no roaming cost? EU rules still apply so same rates as your home country for mobile data use.

·
Registered
427 Posts
No roaming charges, till the end of the year... after that who knows
Sorry to not be helpful, but I’m not sure who else CYC work with, I was only thinking of Scotland, but I guess you have to get there... as mentioned use zap map to find chargers
Hopefully Instavolt ones, as they’re the most simple to use, via any contactless bank card

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Coming from Dover our first stay will be in Manchaster. I will likely already have 3 charge stops before I get there.
Manchester is approx 300 miles from Dover. Surely with a 64kWh battery you should manage that with less than 3 charge stops.

What you really need is of course a Kent member who would offer to let you have your mail sent there. Or indeed any UK contact who could receive your mail and forward it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for your support so far!

I checked with Vodafone and you are right, roaming is not an issue.
I will also contact CYC and see where they mail an RFID.

In Germany we have a provider "Maingau Energy" that has roaming contracts with almost all German charging networks and always has the same price of 35 Cents / kWh.
It sounds as if such a contract is not available in the UK so I will have to download the App of every network I want to charge with.
That sounds like an ingredient for an adventure.
If you have any more ideas please do let me know.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Just to make you feel a bit at home, one of the cheapest places to use a rapid charger is at a Lidl store. With a couple of exceptions, their chargers are part of the PodPoint network - for which you need an account with a positive balance and can then operate the charger with their app or directly from the PodPoint network webpage.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
In Germany we have the same. Aldi, Lidl, Ikea and Kaufland offer DC Chargers for free.
Ikea only offers 20kW but the other provide 50kW.
Currently without any authentication. Just plug in and it will charge.
Again that sounds a bit simpler than having to authenticate with a positiv balance. :)

·
Registered
126 Posts

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
1,983 Posts
In Germany we have the same. Aldi, Lidl, Ikea and Kaufland offer DC Chargers for free.
Ikea only offers 20kW but the other provide 50kW.
Currently without any authentication. Just plug in and it will charge.
Again that sounds a bit simpler than having to authenticate with a positiv balance. :)
Bad news I'm afraid. Chargers at UK branches of Ikea (Ecotricity) & Lidl (Pod Point) require payment now (Lidl only changed recently).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I looked at the UK map of ChargeMaps and most chargers along the motorways do not support the ChargeMap Pass.
So I am afraid the value is rather low.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have tried to register with CYC and as I thought could not enter any payment method.
CYC only accepts bankaccounts and address in the UK so I wrote to the support requesting help.
Here is the reply.

Good evening

Thanks for contacting Chargeyourcar customer services.
If you do not have a UK/Scotland bank or billing address you will not be able to sign up.

You have 2 options.
If you have any friends or family in the UK, get them to sign up for you and you can pay them.
Please visit our free units and call us directly from the unit, we will remotley start the charging session for you.

The list of all available units and cost is provided on our live map which can be found on the website.

I hope this helps.
Many Thanks

No, this does not realy help. We live in a world were people travel across countries. How can a charging network provider ignore this fact and not provide any solution!?

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have send a reply to CYC:

Dear Customer Service,

we live in a world where people travel across countries.
Thousands of cars cross the channel every day to drive in the UK.
As the world of transportation is turning towards electric drive trains more cars will be electric. I am just one of many travelers to come.
How can it be that you do not offer a payment solution for these travelers?

Your suggested solutions are no solutions feasible for me.

Are you not interested in providing service to foreigners?
Is it perhaps the beginning of a discrimination against EU citizens?

Please provide a different solution.
I would like to receive a functional account and an RFID from you to use your chargers and a payment method that enables me to pay you for the provided service directly. It’s 2020 and this should be possible as any company selling petroleum manages to provide this service to foreign travelers for more than 100 years.

I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Best regards

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
To be honest i would look to use PodPoint and Polar charges if you can.
You should be able to register for PodPoint online and add credit to your account to cover you and its cheaper than instavolt.
Polar do an Instant Scheme thats pay as you go and can be used from the app as well for points that are not Tap To Pay.

EcoTricity is definately iffy. You may get lucky though and find Lymm services still on freevend when you come over and i know the CCS units there work with Konas as ive seen them using it at lower states of charge :)

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
I scan read this thread so I may have missed something but Chargemap do an RFID card for £20 or so which covers several charging networks.
Looking at the associated Chargemap link they quoted prices in Euros so I don't think they major in the UK.

For the OP's initial journey to Manchester, I would suggest he tries to load the Electric Highway (Ecotricity) app and register a card with them. OK some of the EH posts are not as reliable as they might be, but they have charging points at most UK motorway service stations.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts