Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a day off today and had arranged a test drive of this car. VW have said on their website, they are no longer selling the e-Up in the UK. The Skoda Citigo-e sold out ages ago. For some reason Seat have told me today this model will continue to be sold by them. I have owned a petrol VW Up Bluemotion for the last 7 years and it has been a fantastic little car. Road tax free. Will continue to keep it long term. BMW i3 Rex owner for over 3.5 years and soon wife to collect her Peugeot e-208 early December. Have test driven lots of EVs over the last 4 years therefore and they all drive well.

However I was TRULY impressed by the Mii today. Has all the usual EV plus points. Smooth and quiet. Rode really well like a much bigger car. A soft and luxo barge type ride. But not too wallowy. And my word did it have a lovely turn of pace away from the lights.Much quicker than the spec list says it should really. Surprising.Kept an Audi RS4 honest away from the lights. He was probably saying "why the hell I am having trouble overtaking this little thing"!
And it is efficient! 10 degC,drizzly, grey weather today. Demister and windscreen wipers on. Took it up to sustained 70mph motorway speeds and urban jungle and it averaged 4.2 miles/kWh over a 45 min test drive. 24 miles driven for the loss of just 11 miles of range. Much better than the Honda e's 3.2 mi/kWh from a hot sunny day in August where I mostly drove urban routes.
It has all the same attributes as the ICE Seat/VW/Skoda equivalents. Spacious 4 seater cabin. I supect the rear floor for passengers it a little higher so your feet/knees seems perched up a bit, due to the underfloor batteries. Nothing as wow as the Honda e cabin but neat, very well equipped and functional. Good stereo as well. 6 speakers. And it came with the split level boot floor so good for keeping the cables out of the way. The dealers (as usual) knew almost nothing about EVs, but were eager to do a deal on this demo car. Only 160 miles on the clock and they were taking off another £1k so around £18.5k I think.
This type of car gives great promise for the future of EVs. With a small discount say, if this car eventually sells for around £15k-£16k new, then that will be a true tipping point for anybody to buy an EV. Yes that is still expensive but with actual running costs being peanuts compared to the ICE equivalents and the actual driving experience being fantastic for 99 out of 100 people,(it is no race car, eg-Lotus Elise) then I feel , this is the type of car that will do it. WLTP range of 160 miles but I suspect heading towards 200 on an urban commute in the summer.
Just that query about it's home charging speed. Is it 7kW or 3.6kW? The dealer was not sure what I was talking about. All he kept saying was that it "could do 40kW CCS". I was trying to explain to him that this was its public charger fast charging rate...
I am still hoping the VW ID3 ticks all the boxes and it was meant to be that car being test driven today, but the VW dealer contacted me and said it would be better to test drive it next month after it has a big software update as it has been a bit glitchy so far!
The Seat Mii seems to have fallen off the radar but it is (value for money wise) one of the best and honest EVs out there at the present time, in my opinion.

·
Registered
84 Posts
We've had ours 6 weeks and think its great, our first EV - it only charges at 3.6kW but there is an upgrade available to take it to 7kW - ours is booked in next Tuesday at the dealers for this upgrade.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That will be a worthwhile improvement no doubt. Hope it all goes to plan.
New build order will take 22 weeks I was told today.:oops:
I have heard VW will replace the model with something else next year ( so a model below the ID3) so will see if this model of car is on sale long term or just until they sell out of what they have.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I had a test drive of the Citigoe iv back in March and was very impresed, I have owned a Citigo 1.0 anyway so i know the car. The problem is that production is so limited they are essentially unobtainable, I was told at the test drive that I couldn't order one. Its interestegn to see that Seat are quoting 22 weeks, VW and Skoda will not take orders at all for their equivalents.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
From what I had read the VW e-UP had audio and other controls on the steering wheel but the Seat (like my ICE 1.0 Up 2013) had nothing. I also thought the VW e-Up may have had rear view camera which showed up on the entertainment screen mid dash whereas the Seat had just a normal rear view basic distance indicator display on the same display. Skoda and VW say they are no longer selling their equivalent models in the UK.

·
Registered
VW e-Up! 2020
106 Posts
The rear view camera on the e-Up is not very useful because the screen is so small. In the golf I can drive just via the camera, in the e-Up you can use it to check for obstacles (in good light) but to actually drive backwards it's best to turn your head.

·
Arkay
11 Posts
We've had ours 6 weeks and think its great, our first EV - it only charges at 3.6kW but there is an upgrade available to take it to 7kW - ours is booked in next Tuesday at the dealers for this upgrade.
I also have a Mii electric and find it won’t charge at 7.2 kW as promised. Did your software update work as you hoped?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi there, can I ask if the update was successful and where did you get it done?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts