Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi again,

After around 1 hour of driving my right leg goes dead. I have never had this in any previous car, nor in my other car I currently drive.

The base of the seat tilts upwards at the front (like a bucket seat) and I don't seem to be able to get it flatter. Perhaps this is the cause.

Probably just me, but let me know if anyone else finds this.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Hi again,

After around 1 hour of driving my right leg goes dead. I have never had this in any previous car, nor in my other car I currently drive.

The base of the seat tilts upwards at the front (like a bucket seat) and I don't seem to be able to get it flatter. Perhaps this is the cause.

Probably just me, but let me know if anyone else finds this.
It may well be the seat angle, but driving with the highest KERS setting can mean that your right leg, when cruising without ACC operating, is in a state of tension to maintain a truly steady speed. You could try using a low KERS setting to see if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
56 Posts
FWIW When I sat in my mates ZS EV, his brake & accelerator pedals are 'in line' with each other, i.e. I can pivot my foot, on the heel, from acc to brake and back easily.

On mine I cannot, the brake pedal sits ~50mm higher than the accelerator, so every time I try & pivot my foot hits the side of the brake pedal. So I either hover over the brake with leg in an uncomfortable tensed position when in cruise control, or I move the seat back & have to 'reach' for full accelerator/steering, which sucks for overtaking. When in 'full' control its as bad if I need to dab the brakes as the whole leg needs to shift constantly to service both pedals.

I intend to get this rectified at next visit to the dealers. I'm fortunate enough to have another ZS to compare it with, check yours as it may be the root of the issue; I felt it pretty bad when we did a mini 'NC200' last week, fortunately there were a few stops to allow some respite.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
To further comment on @davesul's answer, being an automatic with one pedal driving also means you're not moving your leg much from side to side which is going to be bad. I'd regularly put the car in adaptive cruise control and stretch the leg.

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
To further comment on @davesul's answer, being an automatic with one pedal driving also means you're not moving your leg much from side to side which is going to be bad. I'd regularly put the car in adaptive cruise control and stretch the leg.
I was thinking along the same lines Paul !.
I can also see the thinking behind having the car in the regen 3 setting.
I always have mine in the default setting 3 and have become use to its behaviour now.
It’s only down side is that on a longer journey, your foot is in the same position for a long period of time.
Any slight movement and the car will start to slow down really quickly.
Using the cruise control can go some way to mitigate this problem as you have an opportunity to move your right leg around some what.
I have a total knee replacement in my right knee and it can become very stiff when I don’t keep my joint on the move.
But I have to say I have never found this to be extremely bad when driving the ZS EV ?.
I have taken a number of journeys now that are about 1 hour in length and I find the seats to be very comfortable.
I have a bit of a confession to make folks, I have not even tried the “Pro Pilot” yet.
I have ACC on my previous car and never used it once in over four years of ownership.
Way to many years behind the wheel of enjoying driving the car myself I guess, proper “Old School” that’s me !.
Maybe try adjusting the height / base angle of the base of the seat ?.
I set the position of my drivers seat on day one and have never touched it after that.
That must go some way to saying the seats are generally found to be easy to find a good driving position ?.
I hate cars that you always appear to be fiddling with the seat controls to get in a good driving position.
Regards the pedal positions on the car, I find them fine, but just a little offset / biased to the central position of the centre line of the steering wheel.
It’s not a problem, but just an observation really.
The only problem my wife has with the passengers seat, is here ability to say awake !.
She judges a car purely on her “Sleepability” test, enough to say that the ZS EV has passed this test on MORE than few times now !.
I love the silence, the car is pretty silent as well. LOL.

·
Registered
833 Posts
@new2zs do you drive a lot with ACC? Maybe it is because I don't yet have full confidence in it, but when I use ACC in traffic, my right leg gets tense covering the brake. It is fine when driving without ACC (and pressure on accelerator) or when traffic is light so don't feel the need to cover the brake.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Yesterday we drove down to Devon. First leg ended up taking 3:15 hours. My wife was driving and was needing a rest by the end, but didn’t once complain about a dead leg.

I drove the remainder, about 70 miles without any issues.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts