Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In our house we haggle at breakfast time over who takes the EV. Generally, it's whoever who will be going further within a 60 mile round trip range. Whilst the original reason was to maximise petrol savings, I'm finding that I get left with the ICE more often than not and its manual gear change, noisy engine and vibration when stationary are all starting to grate on me.

So could the Robwiz family cope as an EV-only household? If so, what should we add to the stable?

The only out of range trips we make are taking our daughter to/from Uni – six round trips of 160 miles between now and next summer. My first thought was an Ampera/Volt, but as we need the extra range so rarely, it's hard to justify the higher cost compared to a BEV. Of course, using the C Zero for the Uni run is feasible (and I probably would if travelling solo), but I'd get an ear-bashing for suggesting we stop at every rapid along the route, doubling the length of the journey!

So my next thought was LEAF Gen 2 or Zoe – either of which should be able to manage the 80 mile leg on a charge if driven carefully (which we tend to do). Either would give us the benefit of pre-conditioning and timer charging. A LEAF would be a better fit as we already have a tethered J1772 cable on our 32A home charger. Also, for a second car, the £70/month battery lease (Zoe) would be about double our current monthly outlay on petrol.

However, playing with the search options on Autotrader has turned up a handful of low mileage Peugeot iOns (iMiEV/C Zero clone) retailing around £7k, which could be a thrifty option. At £7k less than a used Acenta, the saving would pay for a lot of car hire and petrol for those longer trips. Plus holidays, pension top-up, etc.

I'm going to spend the next few days pondering whether the extra refinement and benefits of a LEAF/Zoe are worth the £7k extra and of course. I'll arrange a test drive and I'll have to check what Mrs R thinks. But having two of the same would end the debate over who takes which car! The good thing about considering buying an iOn is that I don't think I'll need to make my mind up quickly!

·
My Evezy.co.uk referral code: b4552
Tesla Model 3 SR
420 Posts
We are in the same boat - the missus is forever stealing our (my!) little E-Up - with her short city commute it makes a lot of sense and I'm stuck with the horrid diesel Skoda (its a good car, but feels stone age in comparison to the smooth EV).

With a long drive every fortnight, we're going to go for an Ampera - it's expensive but is a great car to drive. That said, I tested a Leaf and was very impressed. The rapid charge infrastructure makes it pretty viable for long trips, but we're not always on a rapid charge route which is our biggest issue right now..

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
So my next thought was LEAF Gen 2 or Zoe – either of which should be able to manage the 80 mile leg on a charge if driven carefully
A new Leaf might do 80 miles but it won't stay that way. My 3 year old Leaf had lost about 15% of range... there is nothing to suggest that most Leafs wont lose this kind of range over that time so will it do the 80 miles then? Worth considering :) Also 80 miles may be a challenge in the cold of winter.

I would be cautious relying on an 80+ mile comfortable range with the Leaf. :)

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would be cautious relying on an 80+ mile comfortable range with the Leaf. :)
Thanks, Paul. I wouldn't be relying on it but couldn't I be reasonably confident of doing 80 miles with only one rapid stop each way?

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
If there is a rapid stop option then yes, on first thought... no problem but then there is the issue of will the rapid always be working? If it is Ecotricity and there are two units then it is unlikely that both will be down at the same time but then you may run into queues. I would be asking myself am I prepared to wait 30 mins or an hour while 2 cars ahead of me in the queue charge and then wait another 20 mins while I charge? Might even be longer if a Tesla or BMW turn up!

I am not trying to put you off... just want to point out the realities. It is easy to get carried away by the idea only to be disappointed with the reality later on.

If you have the time, you have rapid charging on route and are prepared to have those possible delays then great :) It is only a few times a year :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
When you get to your daughter's uni you'll then have to turn around and come back again. So you'll effectively be doing three legs - (1) yours to the rapid, (2) the rapid to uni and back to the rapid, then (3) the rapid to home. The middle leg will be 80 miles.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
When you get to your daughter's uni you'll then have to turn around and come back again. So you'll effectively be doing three legs - (1) yours to the rapid, (2) the rapid to uni and back to the rapid, then (3) the rapid to home. The middle leg will be 80 miles.
You're assuming the rapid is at the halfway point! If the rapid is 60 miles from home, then the middle leg will only be 40 miles, with 2 x 60 either side.

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You're assuming he's assuming: he might know...
Yep, I do know! There's a choice of three Ecotricity rapids, one at 39 miles, another at 64 plus a fourth one a few miles past the Uni, 41 miles from the second one.

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
*cough* Ampera *cough* :D
Thought of that. That was my idea last week but having that capability would really be OTT for 99% of the time. I think I'd rather put less cash into a car and hire if/when necessary.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Within nearly 2 months I did nearly 4000 miles with my iOn. Still happy, very reliable car. When I've got the motorway gap between rapids of 52 miles (from m42 to m5) and was afraid to run out of charge, I was going 50-55mph, arrived to the rapid after 52 miles with 3 bars left:) it was 3 weeks ago, was maybe 17'C, cloudy, but not windy. In the town my average is 5-6miles/kwh.

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Within nearly 2 months I did nearly 4000 miles with my iOn. Still happy, very reliable car. When I've got the motorway gap between rapids of 52 miles (from m42 to m5) and was afraid to run out of charge, I was going 50-55mph, arrived to the rapid after 52 miles with 3 bars left:) it was 3 weeks ago, was maybe 17'C, cloudy, but not windy. In the town my average is 5-6miles/kwh.
You have been more adventurous than we have in our C Zero! It's easy to play it safe when there's the option of an ICE available.

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just had a test drive in a Zoe Intens. A very impressive car with great tech (assuming it all works!). Food for thought...

·
Glyn Hopkin EV Business Development Manager
50 Posts
Point worth noting is that Nissan offer the use of an ICE for up to 14 days per year when purchasing a LEAF

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Point worth noting is that Nissan offer the use of an ICE for up to 14 days per year when purchasing a LEAF
Thanks, Darren. What are the conditions/limitations on that offer?

·
Registered
456 Posts
@Robwiz I've bought Aixam mega city last November, within a month it became my first car from the second. My lexus is sorned now few months:) now I'm driving everywhere with iOn without thinking that I'll run out of power:) mega city had and still has the range of only 15miles with very soft foot:)

·
Glyn Hopkin EV Business Development Manager
50 Posts
My understand is that 14 days per calendar year from supply date from the supplying dealer. I have a customer coming in to pick up an ICE for a weeks holiday.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts