Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm intending to buy an Ampera, though I'm likely to go down the second-hand route. Are they any problems to look out for on a second hand Ampera? Also, is it possible to check the service history with Vauxhall to make sure its been serviced correctly and its warranty is still valid (the salesman will no doubt say its got a full service histroy, but I've no idea if the Amperas specific checks have been done on it)?

·
Registered
279 Posts
I think they do have a database, but I doubt you can have access to the records if you don't own the car. However the vehicles come with a traditional service book with space for dealer stamps. The corrosion warranty requires an annual inspection too.

·
Super Moderator
5,892 Posts
I'm intending to buy an Ampera, though I'm likely to go down the second-hand route. Are they any problems to look out for on a second hand Ampera? Also, is it possible to check the service history with Vauxhall to make sure its been serviced correctly and its warranty is still valid (the salesman will no doubt say its got a full service histroy, but I've no idea if the Amperas specific checks have been done on it)?
Welcome Doc Tim………….

How much are you looking at paying?
There are some really very good new prices out there at the moment.:) That would give you a life time warrantee and I am sure Vauxhalls PCP deal would work out cheaper per month than any pther finance deal.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Vauxhall will be withdrawing the first owner lifetime warranty shortly on favour of a 3 year transferable warranty, so if you were possibly considering a new one that might cause you to act sooner or later depending on how long you plan to keep it for.

·
My Evezy.co.uk referral code: b4552
Tesla Model 3 SR
372 Posts
Yes - the lifetime warranty ends at the end of this year... Had that confirmed today at a dealer.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies

Best deal I've seen is the Pentagon one - but it is still £26k plus paint for the Electron. The lifetime warranty would be nice, but I can get a 1 year old Electron for about £18k.

·
Super Moderator
5,892 Posts
Thanks for the replies

Best deal I've seen is the Pentagon one - but it is still £26k plus paint for the Electron. The lifetime warranty would be nice, but I can get a 1 year old Electron for about £18k.
I have seen a few reports at or around £22k I am sure one of the new Ampera owners will soon pop up with an accurate price and contact details

·
Registered
279 Posts
I have seen a few reports at or around £22k I am sure one of the new Ampera owners will soon pop up with an accurate price and contact details
I had change from £23K from Pentagon in Sheffield but that was for a Positiv. I've seen later reports of slightly cheaper vehicles from a Scottish dealer.

·
Now enjoying my new Kia SOUL EV
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Electric (38.3 kWh) Premium SE in Iron Grey with Shale Grey Interior option
1,204 Posts
Hi there,

I bought mine from Pentagon in March this year and paid the £22,995 plus paint at the time for a Positiv in Summit White. Their base price (for black) is now £22,600.

To be honest most of the Ampera owners that have commented recently reckon the extra £2k for the Electron is not value for money. All you really get is a poor sat nav and the Bose hard drive stereo.

I'd be inclined to look at a new Positiv as better value.

I posted this information in recent post @DavidEJM started https://speakev.com/threads/newly-looking-at-buying-an-ampera.4004/

"Since then Drive in Leicester have matched the Pentagon price and Pentagon have dropped it further to £22,600. http://www.pentagon-group.co.uk/off...zj3w1KGxClsHb3ZUnvxVWJ5asaLl7wDjM9xoCkd7w_wcB

Drive advertise at £23,450 but @@Richard Gledhill negotiated his for £22,500:http://www.drivevauxhall.co.uk/new/vauxhall-cars/ampera/#.VCPyofldUhM

Scottish Vauxhall were advertising a Positiv for £20,999 but now seem to be up to £21,995 See here:http://www.scottishvauxhall.co.uk/new-car-offers/ampera-21995/

Bristol Street are at £23,999 http://www.bristolstreet.co.uk/new-car-deals/vauxhall/ampera/

York Ward & Rowlatt are at £22,995 http://www.yorkwardandrowlatt.co.uk/new-cars/vauxhall/ampera

Word of warning, the lowest prices quoted are based on Vauxhall Partners discount for which you need to qualify (my sister was in the teachers union which worked for me)."

David collected his new car from York Ward & Rowlatt today.

HTH

Derek

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the prices. I can't get the Partners deal (I'm in CSMA but they don't seem to be in the deal now, even though it's shown on a lot of dealers' websites).

And I know if doesn't make financial sense (especially at Bristol Sreet Motors, where the Positiv is £10k cheaper) - but I'd still like the Electron.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Thanks for the prices. I can't get the Partners deal (I'm in CSMA but they don't seem to be in the deal now, even though it's shown on a lot of dealers' websites).

And I know if doesn't make financial sense (especially at Bristol Sreet Motors, where the Positiv is £10k cheaper) - but I'd still like the Electron.
I qualified through my wife's union membership.

·
Eagle Eye
43 Posts
I think they do have a database, but I doubt you can have access to the records if you don't own the car. However the vehicles come with a traditional service book with space for dealer stamps. The corrosion warranty requires an annual inspection too.
New or Secondhand ? That is the question.... £23K New or £18K for a 2012 Model. That's a saving of £5000. Now ask yourself what am I going to do with a 100,000 warranty that's cost me £5000 extra. 1) Am I going to keep the car for ten or twelve years in order to put 100,000 miles on the clock. 2) If the car breaks down will I spend as much as £5000 on repairs? I will still have the remainder of the 8 year battery warranty for a further 6 years and the remainder of the dealer's 3 year warranty (Minimum 12 months) . in 2015 the secondhand value should come down to maybe £15K & a reputable dealer will always offer you a 12 month warranty. With the £5000 you save on the new price, you can go and buy your wife or Girlfriend a secondhand Corsa or Fiesta and still walk away with a smile on your face!

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Valid arguments, but when I was looking in June, it was £20k ish for a £2012 and £22k at least for a £2013 model. With the deals, the lifetime warranty and reassurance of knowing no-one has mistreated it, it was worth going new with the deals on offer.

·
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Electric (38.3 kWh) Premium SE in Iron Grey with Shale Grey Interior option
1,204 Posts
Have to say I agree with @Brooktop. The current "new" deals have naturally affected the second hand price as highlighted by the arguments above.

Derek

·
My Evezy.co.uk referral code: b4552
Tesla Model 3 SR
372 Posts
I was having this debate over on another thread... Yes, it's £5k difference, but that gets you a much better warranty - these are complex and expensive low volume cars and I can imagine parts costs are horrendous. If that gearbox bearing goes, what would be the cost if you had to pay? I reckon it'd be north of £1000 for a £5 part with all the labour.

·
1,204 Posts
I was having this debate over on another thread... Yes, it's £5k difference, but that gets you a much better warranty - these are complex and expensive low volume cars and I can imagine parts costs are horrendous. If that gearbox bearing goes, what would be the cost if you had to pay? I reckon it'd be north of £1000 for a £5 part with all the labour.
If you buy a new one it will have the metal bearing casing so that risk is removed (in theory).

The Volt/Ampera has proved to be a remarkably reliable and resilient car for GM with its highest ever customer satisfaction rating for any GM car.

Yet there is certainly a fear of massive repair costs if it goes wrong as you can't simply ask your local back street garage to have a look.

Derek

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I've now put a deposit down on a 12 month old Electron from Drive Leicester. Pick it up on Saturday hopefully :). It's got 2 years left on the standard warranty. Then I'll think about an extended warranty from the AA or somewhere.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts