Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me again! (You can tell I'm getting quite excited at the prospect of getting an EV).

Looking at various dealers, it seems possible to get a 2 year old Leaf for about £10k or a 1 year old model for about £12,500 (near-ish to where we live, that is). Has anyone any thoughts on whether a more recent model is significantly better than a 2 year old model with similar mileage - did the tech improve in that period at all, or are they essentially the same?

Also, any advice on what order to do things in - buy car and installing the home charging point being the main points.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Do those prices include the battery? Or are they the flex deal where you have to pay £70+/month to lease the battery?

·
Super Moderator
7,717 Posts
I think it's fairly straightforward, do you want to regularly drive more than 60 miles a day?

If yes, make sure you get a 2013 onward "Visia", "Acenta" or "Tekna"

Do you use the heater in winter? (Might seem a daft question but I've met lots of EVers who don't)

If yes, make sure you get a 2013 onward "Acenta" or "Tekna".

Do you want to be able to proudly proclaim your car was made in England?

If yes, make sure you get a 2013 onward "Visia", "Acenta" or "Tekna"

Do you want to be able to charge empty to full at home/on a public post in three hours?

If yes, make sure you get a 2013 onward "Visia", "Acenta" or "Tekna" WITH THE 6.6kw CHARGER.

If you answered no to all the above, save yourself some money and buy an older car.

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Add do you want a bigger boot/luggage capacity? If yes, make sure you get a 2013 onward "Visia", "Acenta" or "Tekna".

This made a difference to us and our recent holiday wouldn't have worked without a roof box or having to leaf something large (tent, child) behind.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Be careful with some 2013 13 reg models, they are the last of the Gen 1, Japanese built and the crossover point for the Sunderland Gen 2 model.
How to tell the differences, there are several but here are some photos that I created to help me easily identify visually whilst looking.

Reactions: Ganymede

·
Super Moderator
12,201 Posts
did the tech improve in that period at all, or are they essentially the same?
There are hundreds of small differences between the 'Gen 1' and 'Gen 2' cars.

Also, any advice on what order to do things in - buy car and installing the home charging point being the main points.

We ordered the charge point first.

At a minimum you should have a 3-pin plug on a dedicated circuit. The car pulls 10Amps and may overload what you have now.

Starting September 1, you must have access to an EV or proof of an car on order to qualify for a grant funded charger.

You will need a 3-pin adapter if you don't have a charge point installed. A used car may or may not have one in the boot. Best to check what cables are with the car.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow - thanks for the super-detailed replies guys. Just what we need to know! This level of information is very hard to research by yourself, if not impossible, so very many thanks.

The only bit I'm not sure about is the Made in England bit - seeing as I live in Scotland!!

·
Super Moderator
12,201 Posts
The only bit I'm not sure about is the Made in England bit - seeing as I live in Scotland!!

lol. Well I was made in America but I bought English anyway.

We try to buy locally manufactured. That usually means made in England.

Are there any Scottish EVs? The Welsh options weren't very practical.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
You'd better get one before the 18th September as you may have to then pay an extra import tax! ;)

·
Registered
707 Posts
Forgive me, I am not a LEAF owner or driver. Why is the first question framed thus?

"Do you want to regularly drive more than 60 miles a day?"

It is my understanding that both the 2011 and 2013 have 24 kWh batteries but that the 2013 model has a slightly greater range due to numerous alterations in design. However, the range improvement is roughly around 10%. It's not infinite. The question wasn't worded "more than 60 but less than 70".

I suspect that the question in question is more-focused on the standard availability of CHAdeMO charging and assumes a willingness to use en-route charging to achieve more than 60 miles a day. Correct?

·
Super Moderator
7,717 Posts
Add do you want a bigger boot/luggage capacity? If yes, make sure you get a 2013 onward "Visia", "Acenta" or "Tekna".

This made a difference to us and our recent holiday wouldn't have worked without a roof box or having to leaf something large (tent, child) behind.
Good catch, forgot about the extra boot space!

·
Super Moderator
7,717 Posts
Forgive me, I am not a LEAF owner or driver. Why is the first question framed thus?

"Do you want to regularly drive more than 60 miles a day?"

It is my understanding that both the 2011 and 2013 have 24 kWh batteries but that the 2013 model has a slightly greater range due to numerous alterations in design. However, the range improvement is roughly around 10%. It's not infinite. The question wasn't worded "more than 60 but less than 70".

I suspect that the question in question is more-focused on the standard availability of CHAdeMO charging and assumes a willingness to use en-route charging to achieve more than 60 miles a day. Correct?
From 73 to 85 according to the EPA. Anecdotally the range is much better than the earlier cars, because the gearing change gives better efficiency at higher speed, and the aero improvements are also relevant at higher speed.

Perhaps I should have positioned it as, "never drive more than 60 miles a day? Get a gen 1 as the extra range of the 2013+ car is irrelevant to you"

Reactions: Ganymede
1 - 20 of 53 Posts