Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 397 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone

Any thoughts on likely prices of Model S post Model 3 announcement and more importantly the massive price cuts to Model S new cars.

I noticed Tesla’s Used cars have not been re-priced so there are S100PDLs at over £30 more than the new ones!!

Will we see a bunch of 2014/15 Model S hit £30k - £35k ??

Thoughts always welcomed - have a reservation for M3 but a used MS looks very tempting...

·
Registered
452 Posts
I was going to post something similar.

I searched some well known Tesla second hand dealers yesterday, they must be devastated, they have 2017 100D’s listed at £17K over what they are now brand new.

However I think it will take a while at the lower end for Model S prices to weaken due to the price cut, it’s still £72k for the cheapest S. So a 2015 with AP1 at £40k still represents some value.

When the Base price Model 3 arrives there is no getting away from the fact IMHO that the used Model S around the same price will be affected.

I’d actually decided on a used S after seeing the Model 3 in person but I’m not prepared to pay £40k plus right now for a AP1 car.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was going to post something similar.

I searched some well known Tesla second hand dealers yesterday, they must be devastated, they have 2017 100D’s listed at £17K over what they are now brand new.

However I think it will take a while at the lower end for Model S prices to weaken due to the price cut, it’s still £72k for the cheapest S. So a 2015 with AP1 at £40k still represents some value.

When the Base price Model 3 arrives there is no getting away from the fact IMHO that the used Model S around the same price will be affected.

I’d actually decided on a used S after seeing the Model 3 in person but I’m not prepared to pay £40k plus right now for a AP1 car.

Thanks for this - will be really interesting to see what Tesla do with their Used inventory cars - if there is no showroom network - will it matter? Will there be big cuts?

Like you just had a check on used car prices - UK dealers holding P100DLs / 100Ds must be wishing the Tesla UK website is broken ....

There are 12 used MS priced over £80k on Autotrader - arguably all are now over priced to new... let’s see what dealers do ...

I suppose Tesla is as much a tech company (characterised by deflationary pricing trends) as a car company ...

·
Registered
878 Posts
I've been trying to keep up to date but even Tesla keep changing prices. The biggest fallers by a long way are the P100D cars, I can see those with 30% off - it tapers as the prices reduce, there's bound to be a drop across the board but I suspect the 40k cars will come down maybe 10% in the short term.

Whats unknown is change in volume. you can imagine many will want to swap for new cars if they can see their old car - the price to change for a new P100D has reduced a lot.

But the finance rates are also going up it seems and depending on who's taking the hit on residuals, I can imagine some finance companies may not even want to do business with Tesla again as it will be seen as too risky. Nobody wanted to touch the M3 in the US for a while.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've been trying to keep up to date but even Tesla keep changing prices. The biggest fallers by a long way are the P100D cars, I can see those with 30% off - it tapers as the prices reduce, there's bound to be a drop across the board but I suspect the 40k cars will come down maybe 10% in the short term.

Whats unknown is change in volume. you can imagine many will want to swap for new cars if they can see their old car - the price to change for a new P100D has reduced a lot.

But the finance rates are also going up it seems and depending on who's taking the hit on residuals, I can imagine some finance companies may not even want to do business with Tesla again as it will be seen as too risky. Nobody wanted to touch the M3 in the US for a while.

Thanks - totally agree - wonder if there will be compression effect impacting facelift P90D / P75D too ? Agree used P100D could be a lot cheaper soon.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Thanks - totally agree - wonder if there will be compression effect impacting facelift P90D / P75D too ? Agree used P100D could be a lot cheaper soon.
I assume so and that's the boat I'm in. You don't see many P90D facelift, they've been about 70k when they do appear, but I recon used P100Ds will be that before we know it but I recon they'll still be maybe 60k. I've written 10k off in my mind over the changes. The advantage they still have is zero VED and unlimited free supercharging. I bought used so up until yesterday I'd experienced pretty cheap motoring.

I'd hate to have paid the best part of 150k for a P100D 2 years ago (or even more recently), thats one hell of a depreciation curve.

As an aside, there are no P75Ds.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I assume so and that's the boat I'm in. You don't see many P90D facelift, they've been about 70k when they do appear, but I recon used P100Ds will be that before we know it but I recon they'll still be maybe 60k. I've written 10k off in my mind over the changes. The advantage they still have is zero VED and unlimited free supercharging. I bought used so up until yesterday I'd experienced pretty cheap motoring.

I'd hate to have paid the best part of 150k for a P100D 2 years ago (or even more recently), thats one hell of a depreciation curve.

As an aside, there are no P75Ds.
Thanks - yes sorry meant 100D/90D/75D - yes forgotten the freebies VED / supercharging - can be very beneficial if the owner keeps the car for a while.

Sorry on the write off but you’re sitting in a superb car and I’m sure that helps.

·
Registered
159 Posts
The current price on Tesla’s website for a MX P100DL (to use outdated nomenclature) is £87,200. On Autotrader, Tesla’s own listing shows them starting at £137,705. So a £50,505 reduction, or 37%. That doesnt include registration cost. Brilliant for new customers, shocking for anyone holding stock or having paid asking price in the last year or so.

·
Registered
11,012 Posts
You can’t on the one hand complain that EVs are too expensive and then complain when a manufacturer cuts the price to meet demand.

I think most Tesla owners were well aware they were early adopters. Hell the $35k has been promised for years.

·
9,719 Posts
You can’t on the one hand complain that EVs are too expensive and then complain when a manufacturer cuts the price to meet demand.
Ordinarily a facelift would be announced to wrap up the discount as not to piss off current owners and the finance underwriters.

·
Registered
11,012 Posts
Ordinarily a facelift would be announced to wrap up the discount as not to piss off current owners and the finance underwriters.
Because I the legacy manufacturers never apply huge discounts to shift stock?

If Tesla was just going to copy the rest of them they’d have stuck a range extender in there...

·
Registered
463 Posts
Because I the legacy manufacturers never apply huge discounts to shift stock?

If Tesla was just going to copy the rest of them they’d have stuck a range extender in there...
They did on the 60 you just software unlock it to 75

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
952 Posts
A well know 2nd hand Tesla dealer has just listed a 2 year old P100D for *more* than a fully speced, every option ticked brand new one.
If that’s Richard Symons you’re referring to I feel for him. He’s bought many a Tesla from owners trading in for another when Tesla offered derisory p/x values and been a real advocate for the brand. He’s also set up a smart dent/repair service charging sensible prices rather than the kings ransom demanded by the some of approved repairers.

As a business buying in at one price and selling at another that carries risk, but I’m not sure anyone saw the scale of the reduction at the top end coming. I hope he can trade through it, but whether he’ll be as keen to buy Tesla’s rather than operate on a sale or return basis remains to be seen.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
It only matters what he can sell them for, as clearly the loss is not on the headline price, it will be down to how much margin was in them, and given how crap the trade-ins were for them in Tesla and pretty much anywhere else, he might still be doing ok... not suggesting it is anything but bad news, just difficult to quantify.

Given I enquired with him over a set of winters wheels and tyres which obviously came with a car and he quoted me more than Tesla I am sure that many of his trades have been profitable to date.

·
Registered
25 Posts
*I have moved this here from another thread as it better fits here*

I have gazed into my crystal ball, (also known as my imagination's guess'o'meter) and come to this conclusion.

1) Next week after the model Y reveal, Elon is going to introduce a new M S/X 125Kwh battery (using the new 21700 cells from the model 3)

2) The ludicrous version of this will be back at the c. £130,000 mark

3) Anybody who purchases a P100D during this week is going to be laughing, because by the end of next week they won't be available anymore. (Replaced by the P125D, excuse the old naming convention) which means that the used market will settle back on the old used prices from before Friday.

It essentially means you will be able to buy a 19' plate P100D this week for £83,000 and sell it a year from now for £100,000.

I estimate the EPA range of the new model S to be around 390 miles.

1 - 20 of 397 Posts