Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Dipping my toe in here so apologies if this, or a similar question, is already answered elsewhere.

I've just accepted a new job, but I now have a commute that I haven't had before. I'll be losing my company car (Ford Mondeo hybrid) but gain a car allowance, and my new role is office based with the commute being 57 miles in each direction.

I've been considering picking up a second hand EV for the commute and keeping my other ICE car for the family/longer journeys.

The question is: I can pick up a second hand Renault Zoe for little money on a 14 plate but no advert says what the battery is. I know Renault lease the battery to you but can you choose which one? I don't think the 22kwh would be sufficient; there is a public charge point near my new office but I'd rather be able to do the round trip on a single charge. Is it possible to dictate which battery i lease from Renault?

Or what alternatives could cover the range? Comparable Leafs also seem stunted in range.

Many thanks

Mark

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Hi Mark and welcome,
ZE40 (41kW battery) only came out end of 2016 so all before that are 22kW.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
18,528 Posts
It’s probably fair to say you’d quickly get bored of charging a 22 kWh Zoe every day. So unless you had a chargepoint you could use at work or while at work, it wouldn’t be great.

A Zoe 40 could handle the journey quite happily. You will need off street parking and a chargepoint at home of course.

Bear in mind most Zoes only have 22 kW charging - the Q versions can charge at up to 43 kW, but the overall charge time isn’t that much better.

To answer your original question, just because the battery is leased doesn’t mean you can pick the battery size. Nice as this would be. :)

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
18,528 Posts
Okay, thanks. So definitely need to make sure I'd be looking at a 40.
Yes, although they’re quite rare and therefore the prices seem to be quite high.

You may well end up going for a new one as Renault offer good incentives in them. There are a few in stock - speak to DSG Morecombe. :)

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Is your commute going to be 100 miles round trip 5-days a week...?

If so, you going to be doing >25k miles a year, and a battery leased Zoe won't make much sense economically, since the lease will cost you £110 per month for unlimited miles (I don't think leasing makes much sense generally, but you can read the various threads where I debate this elsewhere!)

Whilst rarer still, I would advice keeping an eye on the used market and waiting for the earliest (66-plate) battery owned 40kWh Zoe. I picked up one only a few weeks back for a reasonable price.

You need to look out for two things;
1/ that the rear badge on the right is a long rectangle with 'ZE40 Electric' on it. This tells you that it is the 40kWh battery. Some 66-plate Zoes will have a square with 'ZE' on it, this tells you it's the older 20kWh battery.

2/ There is a little blue 'i' badge next to it
This tells you that it is a battery owned model, not battery leased model. It will also have 'i' in the model name, but beware that lots of dealers say the car is a 'i-Dynamique', but they aren't. Bristol Street Motors and Holdcroft dealers are continually doing this...

Basically it looks like this below:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is your commute going to be 100 miles round trip 5-days a week...?

If so, you going to be doing >25k miles a year, and a battery leased Zoe won't make much sense economically, since the lease will cost you £110 per month for unlimited miles (I don't think leasing makes much sense generally, but you can read the various threads where I debate this elsewhere!)

Whilst rarer still, I would advice keeping an eye on the used market and waiting for the earliest (66-plate) battery owned 40kWh Zoe. I picked up one only a few weeks back for a reasonable price.

You need to look out for two things;
1/ that the rear badge on the right is a long rectangle with 'ZE40 Electric' on it. This tells you that it is the 40kWh battery. Some 66-plate Zoes will have a square with 'ZE' on it, this tells you it's the older 20kWh battery.

2/ There is a little blue 'i' badge next to it
This tells you that it is a battery owned model, not battery leased model. It will also have 'i' in the model name, but beware that lots of dealers say the car is a 'i-Dynamique', but they aren't. Bristol Street Motors and Holdcroft dealers are continually doing this...

Basically it looks like this below:
Excellent advice - thank you for this. Commute will probably be three days a week (two from home) but would still really need that unlimited lease cost and i agree, I've questioned the validity of leasing the battery. That plus charging would start to get close to just running my ICE Laguna.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
59 miles each leg, have you got proper workplace charging? If so, buy an ampera. I do 108/day with workplace charging, costs me peanuts to run

Reactions: HandyAndy

·
Premium Member
11,588 Posts
Price of used Zoe ZE40 (battery rental or owned) are high as few available yet and with long lead times for new are popular. When more come off 3 year PCP, availability should improve and prices might drop.

Any other used BEV that can 120 miles in winter is also expensive, such as IONIQ.

I struggle with the logic of keeping a fossil fuel car sitting on the drive and buying an EV for just a commute. I can't see that the savings in fossil fuel will cover the extra insurance, servicing and deprecation. The latter is difficult to predict, but over 3 years it could be substantial.

It is possible that values stay high as demand for used EVs should continue. The other view is that lower cost models such as forthcoming MG and (eventually) the small VW will depress used values.

Reactions: cah197
1 - 9 of 9 Posts