Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know prices are starting to drop now... but does anyone have a feeling for how much Kona Electrics are selling for privately second hand? Ours is an April 2019 Premium SE in two-tone Pulse Red with 10k miles, mint condition. WBAC.com have offered £30k and we only paid £33k for it originally!! :cool:

The Polestar 2 keeps enticing me in... o_O

Reactions: Spike

·
Hyundai Kona convert...
225 Posts
Richard, I am similarly tempted. My Kona is now at almost 29K miles, but Polestar 2 looks great, would be a natural progression and I could order now for Dec 20 delivery.... :unsure:
What features would we lose? HUD and ventilated seats are the only ones I can think of....

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What is it we with ex-Ampera owners that follow each other around? ;)
I've booked a test drive for a few weekends' time (see new Polestar forum) as I'm really quite smitten. I think it's only really HUD and ventilated seats, yes; I'd miss the HUD but rarely if ever use the ventilated seats except to keep the shopping cool in summer! There are probably a few other techy bits missing in there but generally it has the main things, especially adaptive cruise control which is the best (non-safety) driver aid on the planet in my view.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I know prices are starting to drop now... but does anyone have a feeling for how much Kona Electrics are selling for privately second hand?
Depends on the mileage, but they are holding their price really well due to short supply.

Due to China's recent and past human rights abuses I can't bring myself to even consider buying Chinese goods. I would always be wondering if they had been made by someone under duress.

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
Depends on the mileage, but they are holding their price really well due to short supply.
So presumably prices will now plummet as there doesn't seem to be a supply shortage any more.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In principle I agree but following that rule would mean you would own and run nothing in life. The Kona is full of Chinese-made components, circuit boards, electronics, screen... you name it, it'll be made in China if not in South Korea. Don't kid yourself that you don't buy Chinese goods as whatever phone/laptop/PC you're writing your reply on will have been made in China using Chinese components.

Reactions: IanMurray and Todor

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So presumably prices will now plummet as there doesn't seem to be a supply shortage any more.
Hence me thinking this might be the time to sell and move on. I've noted the prices drop about £2-3k over the last 3 months alone.

·
Hyundai Kona convert...
225 Posts
...but a new order for Polestar now will be for Dec delivery. How long does WBAC guarantee their price?

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh absolutely, it'll definitely drop by then, probably to something like £27k I suspect, maybe less as the ID.3 and others come on stream. It's a matter of guesswork really...

·
Registered
98 Posts
The high second hand prices Kona will drop when the new 45 comes to market.

Very impressed with Korean EV engineers (and battery makers LG Chem + SK Innovations) rinsing to the challenge and producing such efficient/loved EVs, considering at a management level this was purely a cars to get around EU compliance.
Toyota, Nissan and even Honda should be ashamed, that they have wasted so many years producing same tech cars with no discernible improvement.

·
Registered
329 Posts
The high second hand prices Kona will drop when the new 45 comes to market.

Very impressed with Korean EV engineers (and battery makers LG Chem + SK Innovations) rinsing to the challenge and producing such efficient/loved EVs, considering at a management level this was purely a cars to get around EU compliance.
Toyota, Nissan and even Honda should be ashamed, that they have wasted so many years producing same tech cars with no discernible improvement.
That's a bit unfair. I think this is one to watch, and in my opinion, trumps the Polestar:-

John.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Given just how many EVs the Hyundai/Kona group produce, and have produced, for some years and how good they are, I get tired of the "compliance car" jibe. They realised a while back that electrification is the future so you may as well help shape it.

·
Registered
329 Posts
@NeelyP

On the compliance thing, hasn't Hyundai been producing the full electric Ioniq for a number of years prior to the Kona?

John.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I think the "just a compliance car", jibe fails against the Kona on a couple of counts.
Compliance cars tend to be a bit crap ...Kona isn't
100k worldwide sales and counting.
New plant coming on line to increase production capacity.
Given all of the above, it doesn't look like a compliance car to me, although depressingly Hyundai continue to push hybrid tucsans through radio ads etc.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Didn't realise Kona owners were so sensitive about the Compliance as it is a Fact.

I still believe rather than buy credits from Tesla, Hyundai / Kia initially got into EV's for Compliance reasons. Hence so many were pre registered in Germany (EU) and then sold in Norway (Non EU). In USA they only sell EVs in certain states till recently. The proportion of ICE cars they sell at the back of that complaince is very High, hence it was a great decision. There are other factors such as the unwillingness of KIA e-Niro to fulfil its pre orders and instead try to upsell to newer models which are £6k more than what they pre ordered.

I love Korean EVs. I own one, a 30kwh Soul EV and think its the best car I have ever owned. And I don't care if it was done for complaince,as it is a great car. I think KONA is best car the group produced till the New Soul EV (imo), and the 45 will be a real game changer.

My point was that considering it was for INITIALLY Compliance the Korean Engineers have done an amazing job. Lets face it till Hyundai/KIA EVs, they were not mainstream, and most people would have even looked at buying a Kia/Hyundai. I think ignorance played (including mine) a significant part in this, and most people bought either a German or Japanese Car. My Kia Soul EV Test drive was first time I had ever even sat in KIA or Hyundai car, and I was blown away by the solid build quality, and I bought the car on the spot.

·
Registered
377 Posts
In principle I agree but following that rule would mean you would own and run nothing in life. The Kona is full of Chinese-made components, circuit boards, electronics, screen... you name it, it'll be made in China if not in South Korea. Don't kid yourself that you don't buy Chinese goods as whatever phone/laptop/PC you're writing your reply on will have been made in China using Chinese components.
No, I'm not kidding myself and know that China have their fingers in many global pies. However, when the sweatshop scandal in the clothing industry was uncovered, there was a big move to source clothing made ethically. I think if we just sit back and accept it, then we are complicit in the persecution of ethnic minorities and infringement of human rights in Hong Kong. My car is made in South Korea, although the batteries are probably made in China. I have a Korean phone, a Japanese TV, etc. All of them probably have parts made in China, just as some of the food in the cupboards has palm oil from plantations which used to be rain forests.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Didn't realise Kona owners were so sensitive about the Compliance as it is a Fact.

I still believe rather than buy credits from Tesla, Hyundai / Kia initially got into EV's for Compliance reasons. Hence so many were pre registered in Germany (EU) and then sold in Norway (Non EU). In USA they only sell EVs in certain states till recently. The proportion of ICE cars they sell at the back of that complaince is very High, hence it was a great decision. There are other factors such as the unwillingness of KIA e-Niro to fulfil its pre orders and instead try to upsell to newer models which are £6k more than what they pre ordered.

I love Korean EVs. I own one, a 30kwh Soul EV and think its the best car I have ever owned. And I don't care if it was done for complaince,as it is a great car. I think KONA is best car the group produced till the New Soul EV (imo), and the 45 will be a real game changer.

My point was that considering it was for INITIALLY Compliance the Korean Engineers have done an amazing job. Lets face it till Hyundai/KIA EVs, they were not mainstream, and most people would have even looked at buying a Kia/Hyundai. I think ignorance played (including mine) a significant part in this, and most people bought either a German or Japanese Car. My Kia Soul EV Test drive was first time I had ever even sat in KIA or Hyundai car, and I was blown away by the solid build quality, and I bought the car on the spot.
You have so been missing out I opted for a Kia Proceed in 2009. I had my first breakdown earlier this year 6 years after the warranty ran out. Crankshaft position sensor, cost £20 to repair. £180 for diagnostics though as it would randomly stall and not give a fault code. Couple of things were replaced under warranty relating to Aircon at 5 and six years.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My Dad has had a Kia Venga. In 7 years it's needed absolutely nothing doing at all. Nothing comes close to the Koreans for reliability.

Reactions: Gadget Geek
1 - 20 of 21 Posts