Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now I've joined the EV revolution we are looking to purchase a 2nd EV, namely a e-NV200 van. I currently have a polar/ChargeMaster home unit but will need to explore options for having a second point installed. Can we apply for a second free installation? Not being greedy but simply with two EV's we shall have a requirement to charge both up at night.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
If you have already got one through the grant scheme then the answer is no. Only one allowed per address :)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Rename house and do it in wife's maiden name. Just an idea

·
Registered
489 Posts
Having two points may raise issues with the amount of current being supplied to the address if both vehicles were on charge at the same time and the house hold was using power that could be over 70amps. That's a lot for any length of time.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
2 x 16amp chargers should be no issue though, or even 1 x 16 and 1 x 32.

Newer houses have 100amp fuses, I understand, and some people have had their 60amp fuses upgraded to 100amps for little or no charge - depends on your supplier it seems, and if the feed to your house is good enough.

·
Registered
697 Posts
We were about to become a 2 EV house, but this limit of 1 chargepoint per home stopped us, and other-half has now ordered himself a diesel Merc. I charge at 16Amps, he'd have charged i3 at 32Amps, so well within the 100Amp limit for the main feed. But when you add c£1k to the cost, because we're not eligible for OLEV funding on a 2nd point, it just tipped the balance.

As @Paul says, it does seem a bit short-sighted on OLEV's part. Especially if you now have to prove ownership of an EV to qualify for funding... 1 chargepoint per EV feels reasonable and sensible... even when it's for 2-EV households...

·
Registered
654 Posts
I'm waiting on my £100 back from Podpoint before handing their unit back. If they don't return my money, you could have the unit for £100.

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
We were about to become a 2 EV house, but this limit of 1 chargepoint per home stopped us, and other-half has now ordered himself a diesel Merc. I charge at 16Amps, he'd have charged i3 at 32Amps, so well within the 100Amp limit for the main feed. But when you add c£1k to the cost, because we're not eligible for OLEV funding on a 2nd point, it just tipped the balance.
But couldn't you just order BMW's i3 option of a 32A charger for £315? I don't think there's any small print about exclusions to EV-owning households.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts